Ford Transit Connect Camper Conversion

T.Low

Expedition Leader
The Fiat Doblo had 33% more load area than the Berlingo, and that was with the standard roof model, things improved further with the high top, which was available on the MPV and van models.

I quite liked the capability of this Doblo, which, if available in RHD, would be great.

news_2002_114_01.jpg

That's hard on the cabinetry. And i'll bet he finds a new plumbing leak tomorrow morning.:ylsmoke:

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
I think an AT style flip top would work very well on one of these vans. This would free up the rest of the vehicle for living space. It would be a terrific mini-camper.

Is the roof on a Connect even long enough for this? You might have to have a bit of an overhang (like the shortbed flip-pacs) to make this work.

I know someone on the GTRV forum asked if someone could do a conversion on Transit Connect when they were first coming out, and the consensus was that they are VERY short on the inside. Certainly not long enough for a bed in the back, but possibly not even long enough for a bed up top unless you did like the eCamper and "plugged the hole" once you'd crawled up.

lowenbrau

Explorer
Is the roof on a Connect even long enough for this? You might have to have a bit of an overhang (like the shortbed flip-pacs) to make this work.

I know someone on the GTRV forum asked if someone could do a conversion on Transit Connect when they were first coming out, and the consensus was that they are VERY short on the inside. Certainly not long enough for a bed in the back, but possibly not even long enough for a bed up top unless you did like the eCamper and "plugged the hole" once you'd crawled up.

It seems the consensus was wrong since this version manages a 6'6" bed inside.

I have to think there is a pent up demand for a modern day Westphalia. They have sold hundreds and hundreds of JDM Mitsubishi Delicas on Vancouver Island because people want to have a capable small rig that they can camp in. There are so many people who want to get out but won't do a tent and wouldn't dream of owning a Class C. The trouble is that there is no margin in producing little RVs. The RV dealers want to sell diesel pushers.

T.Low

Expedition Leader

I have to think there is a pent up demand for a modern day Westphalia. They have sold hundreds and hundreds of JDM Mitsubishi Delicas on Vancouver Island because people want to have a capable small rig that they can camp in.

Not sure which version you're referring to, but the one in the OP is too small for me, at 5'5".

Yeah, it's too bad the midsize van has gone by the wayside. I'd love to have a newer updated 2011 Astro. What are they paying to get those Delicas into their driveway, any idea?

nemoaz

Observer
I've been reading rumors that Dodge may bring a Fiat Doblo to the US. Not sure if it's significantly bigger than the Ford thing, though.

cwsqbm

Explorer

??? 185cm = 72.8". An extra six inches would make it tolerable for me.

Basically, its 6' from the back for the front seats to the rear door. The one way to have a longer bed would be to move and fold the front seats as far forward as possible and have some sort of extension fill in the space. The other option I see would be a cushion between the two seats, so that at least one sleeper could put their feet there.

nemoaz

Observer
Another good option might be a top similar to the Viking Spacemaker found on some VW vans. They popped to the side and had beds on either side of the van. The tent section protruded out over the side of the vehicle a good distance. Somehow, there were no braces underneath.

T.Low

Expedition Leader

My mistake. I thought the floorplan read 165cm instead of 185.

The mpg would probably be pretty attractive, it's simply too limited for my needs. I need a changing room to change out of paddling/riding gear and just general interior space to live and move.

Personally, I can't see going any smaller than the Astro (I've done years in two different Honda Accord Hatchbacks, but I need more space now.)

The knock on the Astro is that with the general Westy floorplan, you can't open the fridge while the downstairs bed is deployed, while you can in a VW. It's doesnt bother me, as i sleep upstairs.:sombrero:

lowenbrau

Explorer
Not sure which version you're referring to, but the one in the OP is too small for me, at 5'5".

Yeah, it's too bad the midsize van has gone by the wayside. I'd love to have a newer updated 2011 Astro. What are they paying to get those Delicas into their driveway, any idea?

I read...

"Interior Dimensions
De bedmaten zijn: Lengte: 185 cm. The bed sizes are: Height: 185 cm. Het bed is optioneel te verlengen tot 200 cm. The bed is optional to extend to 200 cm. "

200cm = 6'6" I'm not sure how they manage to extend it.

Delicas seem to sell between $8000 and $14000 landed depending on options and condition. They often have less that 100,000km. A rugged 4wd system and turbo diesel with a factory camperised unit makes for a very attractive package for a lot of folks.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
The knock on the Astro is that with the general Westy floorplan, you can't open the fridge while the downstairs bed is deployed, while you can in a VW. It's doesnt bother me, as i sleep upstairs.:sombrero:

With a 72" bed and a top-opening Edgestar fridge snug up against the driver's seat, I can still open the fridge in my Astro, Tom. It's a close thing, but it can be done. I need to take some measurements, but if I'm willing to slide the driver's seat all the way forward, I might even be able to put the fridge in lengthwise, which could free up some floor space.

PGT

Adventurer
bump from the dead.

I was in my driveway today working on the IPF light wiring on my Jeep and a red Transit Connect camper drove by; it had a roof shell that looked to be the entire expanse of the roof (pop-up style). It looked like a fun little camper.....I was surprised to see it because I don't live on a main road and its mostly neighborhood traffic that comes by.

Ursa Minor

Just had a look at the new 2014 Transit Connect at the LA Auto Show . It should hit lots in 3Q13. As they will offer the low profile roof, it is a better platform than the current version for a pop top, but still no AWD from what the word is.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1354757173.578875.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1354757173.578875.jpg
    456.7 KB · Views: 32

Clutch

<---Pass
Just had a look at the new 2014 Transit Connect at the LA Auto Show . It should hit lots in 3Q13. As they will offer the low profile roof, it is a better platform than the current version for a pop top, but still no AWD from what the word is.

Too bad we aren't getting the Transit Custom.

Ford_Transit_Custom_2013_wallpaper_1342958312.jpg

or are we?

6a00d83451b3c669e2017d3ec940c4970c-800wi.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior

Members online