6112s With Wheelers Springs - Good or Bad?

PaintRock

Adventurer
Does anyone have any experience with Bilstein 6112s with the Bilstein springs on a Gen 1 Tundra? I was going to go with 5100s and re-use the old springs, but I like the idea of having new springs too. Plus it will be much easier to install them if they’re already assembled…. I know I can only get, at most, 1” of lift, but I’m fine with that. I’m actually fine with stock ride height, but the front suspension is just worn out.

teemo

I've had a set on my fourth gen v8 4runner for the past three years, and really like them. So much so, that when I rebuilt the front suspension on my new to me 2000 Tundra I replaced them with the same. I fall into the category of set it and forget it, and I'm not interested in rebuilding shocks. Even though they're not cheap, I think they are good value for dollar. Shock Surplus has a bunch of informative videos on these and other shocks.

IMG-6135 (3).jpg

PaintRock

Adventurer
That's good information, thank you. Do you remember what setting you used when you installed them and about how much lift you ended up with? At the #6/#4 setting, it's supposed to yield about 1" of lift on the Access Cabs. I'm fine with 1". I just wonder what the real world experiences are.

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
I ran 6112s/5160s on my gx470 with a hidden winch mount and winch. Subsequently I have run ironman foam cell pro on my gx460 and now icon on my Titan. The 6112 will be better than stock but I really liked the ironman for the cost/comfort. The icon has been best but it was co developed with Nissan and it's got a much longer wheel base.

teemo

I did install @ #6/4, but since I was replacing another aftermarket lift that was incorrectly installed, it actually brought the front of the truck down. So I'm not sure how much lift over stock was actually achieved. I can measure the distance from fender to hub to give you an idea, but with the weight I carry I'm not sure how helpful that will be. The tires I have on the truck are 255/75R17, so a little larger than stock. I've also heard good things about the Ironman, but I'm not sure they have an offering for our trucks.

SharkDog

I put 6112s on my 06 double cab tundra a couple years ago. The spring was whatever was included from 4Wheel Drive Hardware on Amazon. I don't know the spring manufacturer. The comments on Amazon claimed they were 650 lb. They are slightly stiffer than I need; I don't have any extra weight upfront. They handle big bumps fantastically, but I feel more cracks and expansion joints that I would prefer.

I mounted them on 4/6 and got about 2" of lift up front.

PaintRock

Adventurer
I put 6112s on my 06 double cab tundra a couple years ago. The spring was whatever was included from 4Wheel Drive Hardware on Amazon. I don't know the spring manufacturer. The comments on Amazon claimed they were 650 lb. They are slightly stiffer than I need; I don't have any extra weight upfront. They handle big bumps fantastically, but I feel more cracks and expansion joints that I would prefer.

I mounted them on 4/6 and got about 2" of lift up front.
You got two inches from that setup? That's interesting. I ordered the 6112s with the 650 pound springs on 6/4. With my "03 Access Cab I'm supposed to get an inch exactly. I'm fine with that, especially since it's supposed to be an inch over the original stock height. It'll actually be more than that from where it is now with worn out bushings and the original springs and struts which have to be sagging at least a little. Now I just have to wait for the parts to get in. They're backordered of course...

I may get 5160s for the rear too, but the 19-year-old Bilsteins are still ok back there. I think I'll hold off because I have considered doing an add-a-leaf too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman