New BFG AT's kinda suck

The Adam Blaster

Expedition Leader
Just a note on the M + S "rating" for some tires.
Guys, don't go by that rating at all, it's really just some marketing BS by the tire companies, it doesn't literally mean that the tire could handle mud or snow.
All it is represents is a proportion of tread block to void space that equals a certain percentage.
There are a number of summer performance tires that are rated M + S based on this proportion. :rolleyes:

Pskhaat

2005 Expedition Trophy Champion
I have been on roads usually in the more southern states in the winter where they would not let cars pass unless they had either chains or the snowflake on the tires even with 4wd. Might be fluff, but some municipalities believe in it, be a shame to have the option and not take it though.

I am more concerned with not being able to get LR D tires! They're all E as if that's a good thing for everyone?

As also stated, I would not buy BFGATs for pure snow/winter. I am cheaper than all'y'all but having different winter tires is not terribly a bad idea and as I bet most folks on this board can change their own tires with ease not terribly expensive on a per mile basis either.

lowenbrau

Explorer
I have been on roads usually in the more southern states in the winter where they would not let cars pass unless they had either chains or the snowflake on the tires even with 4wd. Might be fluff, but some municipalities believe in it, be a shame to have the option and not take it though.

I've experienced the same up here. I was late for a ski day at Sunshine once and came around a corner way too fast in my commuter car only to discover a line up of cars being checked for seatbelt use. I skidded past the bunch of them and came to a stop half in the ditch adjacent to the police cruiser. He noted my seatbelt was on, checked my bald (right down to the chords) tires for the M+S rating, wrote me a warning for speed and sent me on my way. :rolleyes:

TRegasaurus

Adventurer
For some reason I thought the 265/65/17's did not come with the mount. snowflake rating. I need tires on my 4runner so I have been looking into this. If they do come with the rating in that size, I will most likely go with them. TRegasaurus where did you get your tires from (online, etc.).

Thanks,
Neil.

Got mine at Discount Tire, they are load range E

Schattenjager

Expedition Leader
RETURNED - 100% refund

Well, there does seem to be a sporadic issue with the BFG AT KO's. Sam's club manager seconded the notion and gave me a full refund without hesitation, even though they allow for proration and outright denial, either case at their discretion.

MORE of the story here

Errant

Explorer
Just checked both vehicles. The Disco has 245/75/16, E rated. The XJ is 30x9.5, also E. Both have the mtn/snow flake :)

colodak

Adventurer
was at Discount yesterday getting one of mine fixed, asked the guy about the ratings. He said it depends on the market, but in the Denver area, they are phasing out the non-M & S tires and will only carry the Severe rated tires. The others will be available by special order, but this is being phased out based on store stock. You still have to make sure that you request the severe rated tires, in some sizes there is a price difference.

goulou67

tuffest tires around

i am on my third set of bf goodrich all on different vehicules , they are the toughest tires i've had over the years by far, not the greatest in snow ,but on rocks ,dirt roads and mild rock climbing ,they are unbeatable the set i have now on my 2002 ford half ton 4x4 have 70.000km on them and not eaven close to the tread wear mark!!!!:Wow1:

Erik N

Adventurer
I had 32" AT's on a Wagoneer. Lost 2 to sidewall cuts on Oregon logging roads. That was 20 years ago though.

Bugspray

Adventurer
Snowflake shmoflake. I have the rating on my 235/85r16 but I switch to dedicated snow tire for winter, Nokian Hakkapeliitta LT10s & double studded 235/85r16. Night and day better than the BFG AT in all snow/ice conditions. If you are serious about winter traction get a dedicated snow tire not an all terrain.

I agree. Hakkapeliitta is fun to say. I use Blizzaks, also fun to say.

Ray Hyland

Expedition Leader
Direct response from BFG

Hey everyone, I found the questions on the thread and all the different answers (especially the different responses people were getting from the tire shops) very interesting so I went directly to BFGoodrich to ask for clarification on behalf of all the ExPo members, and I learned a couple of very interesting things:

Contrary to many of our perceptions, the '3 peak mountain snowflake' marking (let's just continue to call it the snowflake since that is a bit of a mouthful) has not been removed from any BFG AT dimensions that once carried it. Rather, BFG has introduced some new sizes without the marking. The new sizes do not carry the marking for a variety of reasons:

1. BFG introduced new Load Range E (LRE) versions of both the LT265/75R16 and LT285/75R16. These versions were developed specifically for use in heavy mining applications. To help them better handle the rigors of heavy mining operations they had to remove some of the siping, and therefore they do not carry the Snowflake.
BFG still offers the LT265/75R16 and LT285/75R16 in a Load Range D (LRD) WITH the snowflake.

2. This one is a little counter-intuitive so follow along with me on this one: BFG offers TWO versions of the LT315/70R17 LRD. One version (MSPN 54142) is specifically tuned to GM specifications since it was OE on the Hummer and it doesn't carry the snowflake.
The other version, which is the same size (LT315/70R17 LRD) has a different model number in the order book - MSPN 37614 - and it is the OE Ford Raptor tire, and it does have the snowflake.

Similarly, they offer two versions of the LT285/70R17 LRD. MSPN 14517 has been tuned for Chrysler and does not have the marking, while MSPN 37130 was tuned for someone else, and does carry the marking.

Every tire shop that is an authorized BFG reseller has a BFG ordering book, or online catalogue. In the book or catalogue the SKUs that DON'T carry the snowflake marking have an asterisk next to their listing. So if you are ordering a tire and it is one of those sizes that comes with or without the marking, and you want the snowflake, you need to make sure the guy behind the counter orders the one WITHOUT the Asterisk.

JCMatthews

Tour Guide
Mine have the flake

I bought BFG AT tires in June from my local Big O Tire. They are 265 70 17 E rated. I just checked them and they are siped and have the snowflake. I have been very satisfied with BFG ATs and have been running them almost exclusively on my 4x4s since 1996.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior