New BFG AT's kinda suck

mountainpete

Spamicus Eliminatus
So what's the difference between:
BFG AT T/A KO (LT265/75R16/E123Q)
BFG Commercial T/A Traction (LT265/75R16/E123Q)

There were Commercial Tractions on a few trucks at work. Different tread pattern than the AT and had no rim protector. Plus as a big bonus, they are studdable. I think they were a different tread compound as well with technically less life than the AT's.

Last time checked, which was a few years ago, the Commercial Traction was about $50 less per tire but always special order with huge wait times.

Pete

78Bronco

Explorer
Snowflake shmoflake. I have the rating on my 235/85r16 but I switch to dedicated snow tire for winter, Nokian Hakkapeliitta LT10s & double studded 235/85r16. Night and day better than the BFG AT in all snow/ice conditions. If you are serious about winter traction get a dedicated snow tire not an all terrain.

Agreed. I log a lot of highway miles in the mountains during the winter and studded snows are the best way to run. CHOO CHOO:smiley_drive:

An AT tire in the snow is just a compromise.

Viggen

Just here...
If youre getting that much snow, get actual snow tires like mentioned. Ive run BFG ATs in the past and they were good but I am now running Pro Comp ATs. They are great tires and are "severe weather rated." I took them through a winter storm in white out conditions last winter up in WVa and they gave me great traction in 4"+ of wet snow. They gripped and tread cleaned very well. Have similar results in mud. Only place I havent gotten great traction was in a rock garden recently but that could also be my running full tire pressure of ~40 psi in them.

Just a suggestion. There are great alternatives to BFG ATs now.

Overland Hadley

on a journey
When I ordered my BFG AT's (265/75/16) I asked that I got the snow rated ones. I did not know about the difference between the 123Q and the 123/120S. So I guess I ended up getting the 123/120S. Next time I will know exactly what to order.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
An All Terrain tire is a compromise in all situations. It is not a mud tire, or a snow tire, or a road tire....
Thus the usage of "all terrain" I suppose. It's not in my experience terrible at any of these things, but they certainly don't excel in any either. But I'm running a size that is a throw-back and 'C' rated, which I honestly think makes a difference. The newer sizes and constructions just may be bad tires comparatively. Anyway, everyone has a different set of criteria and the BFG AT is the best compromise for me. I do wish someone besides Interco made a ~33x10.50x15 tire. There are just IMVHO no real alternatives to BFG for a true all year, all use tire in this market size segment.

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
You guys might check out general grabber at2's.............better price than bfg's and they have the snowflake (except on a couple of sizes). I've got about about 30k+ miles on mine with quite a bit in the sticks and have had no issues.

PHXtaco

Adventurer
I asked the same question when I picked my last set of BFG AT’s. I was told that the E rated (and some D???) was a slightly different rubber compound that did not grip as good in the cold. They were still M&S rated, just not extreme M&S.
Discount Tire Link
If the link above works you will note the disclaimer:
This tire bears the Severe Service Emblem denoting that it is suitable for use in severe winter conditions (excluding E-load range sizes). Tires bearing this symbol will provide better winter performance than tires only bearing the M+S rating.

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
:snip......

Far fewer sips and they really trap gravel and hold onto it till you are cruising at sufficient speed for the force to expel them against your rig with appreciable force.
snip.......

I recently ran a set of BFG AT 285/70R17E briefly. They did have the mountain snowflake rating and were load range E. Though it is maybe nice to have the snow rating, I will put my beloved ******** Cepek Fun-Country II treads with their excellent siping design up against the BFG AT any day, regardless of the sidewall symbols.

As Schattenjager states, I also noticed a propensity for picking up rocks from my gravel driveway.

Though I prefer a load range D tire, I agree with the observation that the days may be numbered for LR D, and maybe even LR C tires. As noted, LR E are popular as a one size fits all type of marketing for heavy-duty pickups. I prefer the lighter construction when it's appropriate for ride quality as well as tread and carcass flexibility which does have an affect on traction.

The above 17" LR E BFG AT tires I just removed were on a heavy-duty 1/2 ton pickup, and the LR D FCII tires I put on have more than enough load capacity for the truck. I don't run them close to maximum PSI unless towing heavy loads.

Last edited:

Michigander

For some reason I thought the 265/65/17's did not come with the mount. snowflake rating. I need tires on my 4runner so I have been looking into this. If they do come with the rating in that size, I will most likely go with them. TRegasaurus where did you get your tires from (online, etc.).

Thanks,
Neil.

Schattenjager

Expedition Leader
I'm not much of a foot stomping complainer, but I am going to shoot an email over to BFG today. After putting a few miles under these 'new' BFG AT's I have noticed several differences that I have never experienced with the many sets before. I'm a little weary of the 'did you read your contract - all 132 pages of it?' argument whenever I have a product with a problem and I hope BFG does not go down this path. I bought this latest set as a big fan based on previous experience. I did not examine the sidewall looking for a missing snowflake. Didn't know to do so.

No doubt I would have had to made a different choice as the snow capabilities of the of BFG's was the selling point. As noted, other issues are the AMAZING ability to hold onto pebbles until you are going fast enough to launch them onto your car, or the poor sap behind you, with appreciable velocity. Till then you get the horse drawn carriage clip-clop sound, which is cool for 10 feet of travel but not after 11. This set was also tricky to balance. Could be the expected pitiful service here living up to reputation, but I had the shop dismount and reposition one tire yesterday with great results.

I just can't imagine BFG AT's no longer being part of my rigs setup. The past four 4x4's I've had in the past year or so all had them. Unless I missed the SIPED SNOWFLAKE rated 'option' at the checkout, I've purchased my last set.

Last edited:

Schattenjager

Expedition Leader
FOLLOW UP via phone

I called BFG instead of email. Should have emailed. The rep said that there has been a lot of negative feedback and encouraged me to email. The ONLY place to learn the changes are via phone, or on the website in the small print of the SPECS section. She acknowledged that is a lot of expectations of a consumer especially considering that the tire has always been good for snow. THe M+S or the Mountain Snow Flake symbol aside, my old AT's always performed well in the snow.

I remember my first set of them 20 years ago and just now they dump the sips with no notice??? Glad to learn this now and not on a snowy trail this fall or on the long drive back to America on the Alcan and/or Cassier.

I would have bought another tire had I know this. Might yet - I bought these at Sams. Hate to return anything, but if they offer a better a choice, I'm going to do it. If not I'm stuck with these and a set of chains, I guess. Might have see siped if I can find a shop that knows what they are doing.

Bottom line - I would encourage any BFG AT fans to EMAIL them your thoughts.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12