Getting a LR3, best forum and lift?

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Big x2 from me on all that jwest just wrote.... and I probably have more off road miles in an LR3 than just about anybody.

Last edited:

Mack73

Adventurer
Now, what would be cool, is a computer version of this lift, a switch per-say. A German company, Matzker, has something like this but I have not heard of anyone in the US being about to get it installed. It allows desirable functions - on demand 1" up or 1" down from either of the two driving height modes as well as a higher spring rate for better road handling. In normal height you could ride 1" lower for better cornering in the mountains. In off road height, you could just dial in an extra 1" if going into somewhere you need the clearance.

This exists, built in Australia - search for "LLAMS". Has some good and bad about it.

Regarding rods. The big thing that has been missed is rods let you run at offroad height when you are going faster than 30 mph ;)

Personally I have a set of GN Vehicle Protections quick adjust rods. They are left on the vehicle at all times, then with a quick release of the lock, the rods can shrink to a ~+1.75" lift. Don't need the lift anymore? just reverse the process. Takes just a minute.

Why does it seem like your arguing... With yourself?

I know everything you mentioned. One thing you got wrong was a lift does give it more clearance because it allows bigger tires. I have driven much worse handling vehicles and I dont own a "family".

Yes I know break an airbag on trail with big tires your not going anywhere.

Jwestpro

Explorer
If you really knew everything mentioned, why are posting the questions on a forum?

I'm not arguing at all. Just pointing out the real issues. Bigger tires won't fit into the wheel well so you'll need to be careful on that. A 275/65x18 like you suggested isn't more than a 1/4" extra. 285/65x18 would be the next real step up or a more appropriate fit would be 265/75x18.

Now if you are serious about all this crap, then do it right. Cut the fenders and go all the way with the plan.

Jwestpro

Explorer
Why does it seem like your arguing... With yourself?

I know everything you mentioned. One thing you got wrong was a lift does give it more clearance because it allows bigger tires. I have driven much worse handling vehicles and I dont own a "family".

Yes I know break an airbag on trail with big tires your not going anywhere.

Sure, bigger tires than what will actually fit up into the wheel well/fender. Sounds like a great plan. The LR3 is the wrong vehicle for this purpose, that's all I'm trying to explain but some people just want to sacrifice reliable transport for fun times, which is cool if that's your thing.

Jwestpro

Explorer
WOW ordered my johnson rods saturday evening and they came in today [monday!] Now I just need to get that LR3 wednesday.

Good luck with those:

"I have always stood by my set at a MAX lift of 2-1/4" (2" preferable). This was no accident. I tested for almost a year and a half before selling these.

The Jrod guy needed to "one up" what was in the market so he chose 2-1/2" FIXED lift.

Bigger is better, right? I do not see eye to eye with this guy at all. We have exchanged plenty of pointed words over the last year. He's a marketing guy that's in it for the money. I'm an off road enthusiast. BIG difference. Sorry YOU were one the test subjects - not his own rig. "

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior