Jeep JK spring options... I need some input.

lax71vcu

Adventurer
I have been doing some thinking and reading. I just finished reading Scott Brady's article on Vehicle Prep for Overland Travel. (See Below for Link)

http://www.expeditionportal.com/wha...el-the-10-rules-of-vehicle-modifications.html

It mentioned not exceeding 60mm of "lift" and that one should buy springs with increased rate to counter additional weight not increased height. This is great but where do we find these springs for our JK's. I am familiar with the OME but those result in 3+" in lift and the kit itself is often incomplete. Any other companies offering suspension products that result in 2" or Less of net lift BUT have an increased spring rate or progressive spring?

I am interested in any input here as I am lost to the answer to this. Thanks.:sombrero:

BadPunkin

Observer
Sounds like a hard match. AEV has progressive springs, but the smallest I know of are 3.5". I haven't seen any that match both requirements for the JK.

I'll be checking back to see if someone has an answer, I am interested too.

AEV is coming out with a 2.5" spring lift, but no real details yet. Lots of us are waiting to see the specs. The release of the fuel and hiLift carriers along with the new reservoir shocks might be a sign that the 2.5" could be soon.

jboss

Observer
What are you looking for? Mild lift or springs to compensate for winch and bumper? There are a couple options out there, Poly Performance has some from 2" to 6" that are progressively wound. AEV has some 2.5" in the works. OME offers front spring from 0-90lbs, 90-180lbs over stock and rear 300 or 660lbs over stock. Also some people run stock TJ front spring in the JK for compensation for winch and bumper but dont want lift.

jomobco

Now Decanter
Keep the stock

Why not keep the stock springs and add a teraflex or some such other leveling kit? Go with a flare that you can run 35's and not raise the vehicle much at all. Your CG will be low and the stock springs are easily replaceable anywhere in the world I would imagine.

lax71vcu

Adventurer
Purpose for new springs.

I want to get the new springs to add a bit of lift but mainly to increase capacity in both front and rear for the addition of a winch, skids, and in the rear an increase for towing.

I will call rock krawler, and look into the poly springs.

I am not sure the stock spring and spacers will work because I would simply be adding height and not increasing the spring rate. So the springs would easily sag and not support increased weight very well.

Any other ideas or input?

McZippie

Walmart Adventure Camper
There is a lot of info on JK forums about using heavier Rubicon Unlimited springs on other models of JKs.

jk2011.jpg

My JK 2.8 CRD ULTD Rubicon is fully equiped for Overland Travel ( Rock bumpers, winch, long range tank,roof rack snorkel, battery pack etc)
Getting a good suspension for overland travel was not easy.
Most kits on the (US) market are developed for rock crawling & bigger wheels/tires but not for heavy loaded Overland travel. OME offers differend stage kits with differend rated springs .
I tested some things but de final result that works well :

MOPAR 2 inch kit , with the Bilstein shocks ,but we replaced the springs with OME springs because the front springs where to soft for the CRD engine and the rock bumpers with winch. We also had to shorten the front bump stops because they where to long ( we use 265/70-17 tires so no flex problems).
A friend of mine did the same and also replaced the shocks by Koni Raid shocks.

Another important issue is to have a good solid rear track bar relocater kit because I know some people who got stuck in the desert or mountains because their relocater kit just ripped of from the axle

Last edited:

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
There is a lot of info on JK forums about using heavier Rubicon Unlimited springs on other models of JKs.
I had the second-lightest springs on my stock Sahara and replaced them with the stiffest OE springs to handle the weight of the winch and bumpers. I added a Teraflex puck lift on top of that.
Although the spring rate was perfect for the weight, I still lost range with the spacer lift and the Teraflex shocks weren't the greatest (although better than the stockers).
If I could do it again, I'd go with Rock Krawler and Bilsteins.

Overall, I'd give that set-up a B, maybe B+.
TruckLiteDrivingLites010.jpg

Jeepin_D

Damon Bungard
I added OME Medium Duty (616/617 I think) springs to my '08 Rubi Unlimited for this very reason. Just wanted something that could handle the weight of steel bumpers, tire carrier, winch, rack, etc. Ended up with about 1.5" of lift overall in the end, everything else is stock.

But, if I still load the rig down with kayaks, gear for 2, etc, there's still some sag in the rear.

Been debating adding Air Lift bags to the rear coils for those times when I'm really loaded, but I'm hoping the AEV 2" Coil lift kit with progressive springs will answer my prayers.

D

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
I tried the airbags in the springs at first; they kept popping the lines during full articulation.
I tried several configurations, had two shops try to rig them for experiments.
The right spring rate can't be faked...

lax71vcu

Adventurer
I wanted to revive this thread.... I know it is my thread but wanted to see if any products have made it to market since the original post as I have not yet purchased springs....

In sticking with the original article by Scott Brady( http://www.expeditionportal.com/res...el-the-10-rules-of-vehicle-modifications.html) and my favorite quote out of it:

It mentioned not exceeding 60mm of "lift" and that one should buy springs with increased rate to counter additional weight not increased height.[/I]

One option I have found to address this issue is Synergy's 1" 4door unlimited springs found here:

Front Springs: http://www.synergysuspension.com/Sy...JK-TJ-LJ-Front-Lift-Coil-Springs-p-16404.html

Rear Springs: http://www.synergysuspension.com/Synergy-Suspension-Jeep-JK-Rear-Lift-Coil-Springs-p-16405.html

***Looking specifically at springs number PPM-8064-10 for Rear and PPM-8063-10 for Front****

What do you guys think? Since the original post I know AEV has also released their 2.5 inch coil spring lift.

Just looking for some more input as I am REALLY leaning toward the Synergy springs but have found NO data or input on how these springs handle once installed.
Thanks,
Nick

Last edited:

Inline6

Adventurer
Interesting topic. I also don't think you need all the lift most kits provide for back country exploring. I managed to stuff 37s with stock springs and a puck up front for the added winch and bumper weight. ( I did some wheelbase modifications and fender mods to make it work)

I would not mind a inch or so of lift, but 2+ is tooo much IMHO.

I've thought about the poly springs as well. Just not sure on the actual lift vs advertised lift. Also looked at the OME springs, but their naming convention is kinda off to me.

Curious to see some other results

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78