New Defender Concept

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
the details about the chassis will show the direction Land Rover is taking.
One look at the evolution of the Discovery will show the direction Land Rover is going, and it's not anything related to a Series and Defender's traditional role in the world. They're becoming just another cookie cutter SUV.

Steve UK

Adventurer
More info here...lets hope they keep to the promise of it still being a rugged workhorse rather than just another Chelsea tractor..

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-14726189

attachment.php

cosmic88

Observationalist
Attention Moderators... Mistake Photo?

I believe someone accidentally posted a picture of the bastard child of a Kia and FJ...

Please remove the images of this so-called Defender until the more acceptable concept design is revealed to the "lets all drive to the mall in our 4x4 Defender" world.

At first glance I felt like "Scanners" movie poster!

scanners.jpg

Sadly the Defender is no more and I believe they should change the name of this jacked up Freelander rather than drag a heritage name through the mud.

I kind of like it, but then I always liked the Freelander. I really don't have some desire to stick with the past just for the sake of sticking with the past.

Harald nailed it. A big reason for the shape of the front end is because of pedestrian crash regulations. Like it or not, those are laws that were passed for European countries, and that's just how it's going to be.

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2007/12/the-truth-about-europes-pedestrian-safety-legislation/

Sure, Jeep may still be making a truck that looks like a classic Jeep, but it probably won't be for sale in Europe after 2015. I forsee in the future that due to the NHTSA's failure to lead, which has been the case for a decade or more now, it will fall on the IIHS to lead the charge. The cost of pedestrian deaths and injuries is very high, and I bet you'll see them start ranking vehicles for pedestrian safety in order to encourage intelligent design, and the import brands will again lead in this field. The US's failure to institute the new pedestrian regulations will lead to yet another round of hand-wringing about how hard it is it design a car that can be sold around the world because there are so many different laws. Meanwhile, all the non-US brands will just go out and do it. There's a very good reason that this new Defender model is scheduled to come out for 2015, it's not just coincidence. They waited as long as they could.

As for the timeline, if this is supposed to come out in 2015, expect that this is pretty much it. This is not the beginning of a design phase, but very close to the end. The only thing that could change it now is if there is a massive public outcry. And I don't mean you guys. You are not the target market. You guys wouldn't buy this thing no matter what they do, and they know that. They CANNOT build the vehicle you want. Period. I think this will be well recieved by the general public. Like it or not, Land Rover is actually doing quite well lately. Every new model is more successful than the last, and they make more money every year. This indicates that the direction of the brand is successful. This concept is just another in that same direction.

As for the wheels, well, it's just a concept. Everybody does this. Most people think it looks good. Again, not you guys, but the target market. This concept also represents the top-line model. I'm sure there will be a more basic model available, probably with 16" to 18" wheels, non-painted bumpers, etc.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
One look at the evolution of the Discovery will show the direction Land Rover is going, and it's not anything related to a Series and Defender's traditional role in the world. They're becoming just another cookie cutter SUV.

Just another cookie cutter SUV? How dare you Sir! Clearly, the suppleness of the leather ensconced pilots chairs and the elegance of the interior acruitments establish that THIS my friend, is a premium vehicle that one must consider with solemnity and reverance, for it bears the legacy of all that Land Rover has accomplished in its legendary hertitage!

LOL

dcwhybrew

Adventurer
LR4 utilitarianesque?? lol

A CJ5 is utilitarian
LR3/4 is about as cushy as a modern suburban.

I was comparing it to the other current LR/RR models. Besides, I did put it in quotes...LOL

I just read this (didnt see it before my post):

http://www.roversnorth.com/news/ind...mains-worlds-most-capable-all-purpose-vehicle

Oh boy, it comes with a rotary gear shifter and steering wheel paddle shifters. Actually I think the paddle shifters may not be that bad off road, but boy LRs are becoming more car like everyday.

dcwhybrew

Adventurer
...Harald nailed it. A big reason for the shape of the front end is because of pedestrian crash regulations. Like it or not, those are laws that were passed for European countries, and that's just how it's going to be.

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2007/12/the-truth-about-europes-pedestrian-safety-legislation/ ...

Wow...lets save the pedestrian that stupidly stepped out in front of a car. I guess they dont have a solution for the differential speed of a 2-3 ton object traveling at speed hitting a human being yet. Next thing you know the EU wont let you drive faster than 24kmh so that you dont kill anyone.

Just be patient, the US will get there. Government is slowly trying to save us from ourselves.

Last edited:

The Swiss

Expedition Leader
I hope this all is a bad joke! Looks like a re-vamped Freelander. Can somebody see the Military or forest service using this new Defender concept? Guys at Tata: The Defender is the coolest all terrain utility vehicle there is. Utility like in transporting anything from chain saws to wet dogs to rescue material to expedition gear to people. It's for the farmer, the park ranger, the horse owner, the fire department, the contractor etc.. So there will be a pick-up version of this cutesy SUV with 24"rims? If the new Defender looks anything like this concept, regardless of the cool running gear they might give it, Tata would have managed to slaughter the Defender and what it stood for in the world (outside the US).

When I was 5 years old, I received my first die-cast Land Rover. I became immediately a die-hard Land Rover guy and owned several real size green oval products (IIA Ambulance, 90TD and Defender 110). However, looking the direction Land Rover is going I'm glad I switched to the dark side and became a Jeeper 11 years ago. What Chrysler did with the Wrangler is just superb, combining tradition with state-of-the-art technology.

Just my .02 cents and I apologize for the harsh words towards. I'm normally not somebody rejecting everything that is new (I will be getting an new Wrangler). It is just gut-wrenching to see somebody messing with history like the designers of the Defender concept did.

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
Sales figures over the past 10 years have shown Land Rover steadily losing ground in the "utilitarian" market. Toyota has been dominating the third world with the Land Cruiser and cheaper Hilux. Companies like (surprise) Tata also have a hold on the market with cheap, utilitarian, diesel 4x4s. Even the British military has pursued other options for a light 4x4 (Pinzgauer).

Like it or not, this has been coming for a long time. Land Rover just isn't the "utilitarian" brand that so many romanticize it to be anymore. Hasn't been that way for a decade now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior

Members online