New Defender Concept

Green96D1

Explorer
^^^^ Looks like a Ford Flex

ford20flex20002.jpg

land-rover-defender-concept-04.jpg

I agree. The current Defender is just so iconic.

SCRover

Adventurer
whoever likened this vehicle to a mini was right on.

next thing will be a name change. "Defender" is a little on the militant or aggressive side for today's society. perhaps something like the Land Rover Amnesty or Deflector.

Rob O

Adventurer
Someone beat me to it, but I did a photochop of the DC100 press photo (rendering) to see what a D110 replacement like look like -- i.e. a 4-door version of the concept. And I added color hinting at the G4 Challenge scheme, though didn't feel G4 livery was warranted given the lack of gear (bars, lights, racks, winch, EZ lift, etc).

Anyway, if for no other reason than to post my handiwork. :)

This took a couple hours. If I'd had more time I would have attempted adding expedition kit (racks/bars/etc) and maybe modified ride height and wheel diameter.

Photochop - Land Rover "DC120" Defender Concept ... by Rob Overcash Photography (robotography), on Flickr

aw990200

What are the odds that the DC100 will have a solid axle design? From the stand point of production and the engineers, it would make sense for it to share a lot of the same drivetrain and suspension attributes with the LR4. It would cut down on costs in production and design. Isn't it already slated to use the same frame as the LR4? If this ends up being the case, we can only hope for a coil sprung suspension.

Dendy Jarrett

Expedition Portal Admin
Staff member
We need to see Overcash's version melded with jjstahl3's rack version. OR on the G4 I posted up. I still think it looks totally anemic.
D

What are the odds that the DC100 will have a solid axle design? From the stand point of production and the engineers, it would make sense for it to share a lot of the same drivetrain and suspension attributes with the LR4. It would cut down on costs in production and design. Isn't it already slated to use the same frame as the LR4? If this ends up being the case, we can only hope for a coil sprung suspension.

Previously it was stated that the next Defender will use the LR3 underpinnings, but I don't know if that's still true or not.

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
Oh boy, it comes with a rotary gear shifter and steering wheel paddle shifters. Actually I think the paddle shifters may not be that bad off road, but boy LRs are becoming more car like everyday.
LOL Yeah, those will be easy to fix in the middle of no-where.

ywen

Explorer
great.. we finally get a defender in the states, and just like the rest of the LR line it will have zero resale value..

I'll wait until it hits the used market.

cnynrat

Expedition Leader
Or does the Ford Flex look like a Land Rover? Change the Flex badging on the hood to Rover ... Hmmmm ...

2011-Ford-Flex-Titanium-6.jpg

Back to the Defender concept, I don't like it. Looks like something derived from a Scion, or a Cube, or one of those other box-cars. I also agree the big wheels/low pro tires don't work.

The overall look might be improved if they put spinners on it though! :snorkel:

LtFuzz

Explorer
The wheels dominate the appearance, I think.

Even if it's delivered as it looks now (it won't be), it'll have a regular old bolt pattern like any other truck and it'll look much better with steelies.

The shape isn't that hideous. I see a lot of the LR3/LR4 in it, and while I don't particularly care for those, they're quickly growing a following. Look at the LR3/LR4 inspiration thread -- everyone is oohing and aahing over Luke Skywalker's khaki-colored Tatooine truck.

Why do you assume that these attributes are not also present in the new Defender? You have tested the capabilities of the truck based on a concept model?

No, have you? It's a rhetorical question of course, as we're all arguing over two official pictures and a vehicle that nobody has driven. But they're going to have to make a radical departure from the current concept for this to become a true SUV with some measure of real utility. Hopefully once you shed the bling wheels and some of the flair there is in fact some real content underneath.

ywen

Explorer
i would have changed from the current defender.. but just for the hell of changing it.. they should have come up with something like this... Sorry for the cartoon tires.. i got lazy and tires are really hard to render...

nextgendef.jpg

No, have you? It's a rhetorical question of course, as we're all arguing over two official pictures and a vehicle that nobody has driven. But they're going to have to make a radical departure from the current concept for this to become a true SUV with some measure of real utility. Hopefully once you shed the bling wheels and some of the flair there is in fact some real content underneath.

No, but I'm working from the idea that the Defender will use the LR3 chassis, which is already highly regarded for it's off-road capabilities. The Defender should just build on that.

As far as utility is concerned, you don't need solid axles to be a workhorse. Just look at the ATV/UTV market, or US Army vehicle development.

I'm not saying that this is the truck that I want, either. But, we are not the target market.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12