67-79 F250 with modern engine swap is 15+ mpg possible?

Clutch

<---Pass
The 4BT is the best fit in the Bump/Dent side Fords In the early '90's the 4BT/ZF5 was the factory power train in Brazilian Ford F series trucks.

It would be a toss up between the 4B and the 6B, though I believe the 6B would win when it came right dow to it. Now that I have been in Idaho for awhile, thinking an 8' cab over Alaskan would be a good 4 season camper for it. Torn on what cab configuration now. A RCLB I could put a hitch carrier for the dirt bike....the CCSB could handle the 8' camper would handle the camper with the tailgate down...then I would have to tow the bike with a trailer. Whole reason for the crew cab, was for in cab storage.

Though the whole thing is up in the air, until I get my back figured out. Upcoming dirt bike ride is going to be a test...either it will be "ok" or I wont be able to get out of bed the next day.

Where in Idaho are you? I'm in Bayview right now, getting a Merc OM606 (video above) put into my 2007 Wrangler.

-Dan

We are 30 minutes outside of Boise.

What is like getting parts for that Merc?

eggman918

Adventurer
The 6B would cost much less in the long run but it is quite a bit longer and would require firewall mods and is ~400# heavier.
The 4B is an easy fit with stock firewall even with rad/inter cooler and mechanical fan......that being said I'm sure I could have had the 6 in and running for 2/3 the cost of the 4.
Doing swaps is always a series of compromises but as I stated I am very happy with the results I have achieved with mine.
Good luck on the upcoming bike run,been dealing with serious back issues for years and it SUCKS....just have to take it on a day by day basis.
Edit.Plan on a Dana 60 front with the 6B I am running a 76 D44 front and it has served well for 25,000 miles but don't expect it to hold up well in the long run and a D60 is in the plans.

Last edited:

Clutch

<---Pass
The 6B would cost much less in the long run but it is quite a bit longer and would require firewall mods and is ~400# heavier.
The 4B is an easy fit with stock firewall even with rad/inter cooler and mechanical fan......that being said I'm sure I could have had the 6 in and running for 2/3 the cost of the 4.
Doing swaps is always a series of compromises but as I stated I am very happy with the results I have achieved with mine.

4B would work for the majority the things I need the truck to do, I am thinking I have more wiggle room with the 6B for getting more power out of it, if I needed to. Forums like this are good for bouncing ideas off on another, to settle on what is good for the end user. Nothing is going to be perfect though.

Good luck on the upcoming bike run,been dealing with serious back issues for years and it SUCKS....just have to take it on a day by day basis.

Thanks man,

yeah, I have been dealing with it since I was a teen...it is just getting worse now...(getting old, happens to the best of us!) my L5 slipped a little forward, herniating the disc causing severe sciatica down my left leg....doing PT and an inversion table has helped a bunch...and maybe the bike ride will knock the rest back into place. :D

Edit.Plan on a Dana 60 front with the 6B I am running a 76 D44 front and it has served well for 25,000 miles but don't expect it to hold up well in the long run and a D60 is in the plans.

Oh yeah 60 for sure.

I saw this truck sitting out back of someone's shop, got me thinking of going the RC route...it is the right year (I like bumps over the dents), the right color combo...body looks damn near perfect...be a shame to take it in the dirt though, it is almost "too nice"

11822563_10153651085689630_8670649163657853271_n.jpg

Clutch

<---Pass
Clutch you are right I wouldn't want to cut that truck up.

I second that thought that is a clean survivor.

That is the other thought I have...one of the main reasons I want to build a Ford of that era, is because of nostalgia and I think it is cool. Do I really want to drag it down trails?

Should I just buy something I have no emotional attachment to? I have been looking at RCLB Super Dutys with the 6.Oh-Noes!...nobody wants them, you can pick them up pretty cheap, do the fixes, and call it good. And if I put it on its' roof...I wouldn't care.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
It would definitely be cheaper to go with a superduty 6.0 that's been bulletproofed vs. converting a nice old one to 6bt. Probably more reliable, because you know how those swaps go, it the little thing you never expect that fails.

Clutch

<---Pass
It would definitely be cheaper to go with a superduty 6.0 that's been bulletproofed vs. converting a nice old one to 6bt. Probably more reliable, because you know how those swaps go, it the little thing you never expect that fails.

Most likely...anything custom is usually a can of worms. Ok for a hobby vehicle for running back and forth to the gas and sip. Back country...I dunno. I would be ok with a gasser too...I don't "need" a diesel.

Get coil over front suspension on the SD too.

Have been out exploring in my Toyota a bunch, learning the terrain....a vintage F250 CCSB, might be a little too long for where I am wanting to go. So I am thinking RCLB....those 8' CO Alaskans seem like they have plenty of storage.

Root Moose

Expedition Leader
Most likely...anything custom is usually a can of worms. Ok for a hobby vehicle for running back and forth to the gas and sip. Back country...I dunno. I would be ok with a gasser too...I don't "need" a diesel.

I've learned my lesson on this... Stockish is best for a vehicle that actually goes places.

Clutch

<---Pass
I've learned my lesson on this... Stockish is best for a vehicle that actually goes places.

yep.

believe i said earlier in this thread, I am kinda tired of fussing with stuff anyway, I just want to jump in and go explore....I have plenty of other things in my life to keep me busy.

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
What is like getting parts for that Merc?

It was sold stateside for 2 years, so every merc dealer can get everything, no problem at all.

It was also sold more-or-less everywhere globally that merc are, so getting parts worldwide shouldn't be a problem. It was in the G-Wagon for a couple of years.

-Dan

Clutch

<---Pass
It was sold stateside for 2 years, so every merc dealer can get everything, no problem at all.

It was also sold more-or-less everywhere globally that merc are, so getting parts worldwide shouldn't be a problem. It was in the G-Wagon for a couple of years.

-Dan

Thanks

D

Deleted member 9101

X2!!!!!

Clutch

<---Pass

Tell ya...with being down for a couple months with this back thing, it really makes you think....one day (perhaps sooner than later) I won't be able to do the things I like to do. The vehicle is just a means...who cares if it is cool. Now that I think about...a back country exploring rig should be something you don't like, and wouldn't shed a tear if it happened to go up in flames.

Super Dutys are butt ugly to me, perfect... ;)

Good news the dirt bike ride was a success, kept it mellow. Back isn't 100%...still felt it pinch a bit...I was able to get out of bed today with no pain, just a little sore.

Hopefully by next summer, it will be good enough I will be able to do the Ridaho! Grit ride.

12038446_10153686652714630_6412344380001912023_n.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12