68 Ford Bronco "opinions" help Thread!

vesparex

Hi all! My name is Duane and I live in Denver, CO. My wife and I own a very original, very clean early Bronco. Have had it two years and have made some of the necessary repairs that you'd expect to have to make to a 46 year old veh. Now things are dependable. I want to start a build plan. Goal: derivable, dependable and strong. Simplicity and ease of repair in remote areas. Light weight. I have a few questions to ask of anyone who has experience with said theme or idea.

Suspension- Early Bronco is a leaf rear coil front. I want to retain this. Currently as we bought her there is a Duff 3.5" lift. I love the height and steering is all sorted. But there is NO flex. Want opinions on manufacturers for coils and leafs. Like Wild Horses and Deaver. Maybe Cage?

Diffs- Original Dana 30 frt and 9" small bearing rear both with OE limited slip (or what ever Ford called it). I know the first thing I will be told is upgrade. But this truck is really light and I wont be jumping or rock climbing. So the questions is, is LS enough if I found myself in a precarious situation? The front hubs lock/unlock. Problem is to go locker I'd have to replace the LS with an open carrier.

Bumpers/skid plates- This one I am really excited to explore! I have a tig welder and some experience. Because I want to keep the weight down I have contemplated doing the bumpers and skid plates in aluminum.

Fuel- This one is for people with experience in other countries. Currently running stock 289 gasoline. I have propane experience but love the idea of a diesel (except for the weight). Apart from the obvious ramifications of a particular conversion, how are fuel supplies in say South America? I have read a lot of blogs/stories involving gasoline powered vehicles, I also know diesel is used a lot more due to cost/mileage and durability in these countries and have read that some countries do use LP. But I have never been to any of these places. What was your observations while traveling? What is YOUR opinion? :)

This should get the ball rolling. With regards to the weight savings I want to do this because I know that as a vehicle we will be living out of it will laden with us, supplies and such that we HAVE to have. If I can save pounds in areas such as aluminum bumper and skid protection it will help. Or will it?? That is why I am here humbly asking.

Here is our rig- Mollie-

A6374816-32CC-4F8B-A188-A4E3F83A0A6C_zpsnle62c7r.jpg

Duane

4x4junkie

Explorer
Nice truck. That's an interesting setup you have on the side there.

I've only heard good about Deaver springs. Their coils are linear-rate which I think is better if it's suspension flex you're after (doesn't hinder your up-travel as much). JD and WH use variable-rate coils which I think are better for higher-speed running (or if you often go from lightly-loaded to heavily-loaded). You might want to consider a set of extended radius arms. This will reduce the amount of bind in the front axle and should free up some additional flex as well. Keep in mind more flex is likely to affect the vehicle's handling though (especially if that rack is loaded up). Keeping the sway-bars (or adding them if it doesn't have them at present) and adding quick-disconnects to them might be something else you'll want to consider also.

The rear 9" you have is an OK axle (the D30, not so much), though without fail, the weight of a bunch of camping gear & supplies adds up very fast (I know, I tried to build my rig lightweight also, yet with gear & everything I'm still pushing GVWR or even a tad over depending on how much crap I'm bringing). I'd plan on upgrades at both ends at some point (big-bearing 31-spline 9" and a Dana44 w/large-u-joint shafts). Hi-bling chromo alloy shafts are probably not necessary however.

Aluminum should be a great material for bumpers, but skids (and sliders) I'm not as sure about... My thought is Al will gouge easier and the truck won't want to slide off a rock as easily, hanging you up. Maybe I'm wrong though, no actual experience with Al skids.

Haven't been to S. America, so I don't really have anything I can add there.

Anyway, hope that helps.

vesparex

Awesome reply 4x4Junkie! Thanks for the veh compliment. The rack, side ladder and 3rd tank have all been installed for all of the gals 46 years. I am in pretty close contact with here second owner who new the original owner, he bought her from back in the 90's.

I know the Scoobies are using the aluminum for skids.

Linear! That was the term I was trying to remember for the springs. And great point on a swaybars if I go soft. She doesn't have sways right now.

Do you have an opinion on lockers over LS? Keep in mind, I have not wheeled to any extent. But in the event there was an embankment I needed to crawl up, definitely locker or I would do fine with the LS and a little careful driving?

Duane

SoCal Tom

Explorer
I sold a 67 bronco a couple of years ago. The wild horses and BC Broncos coils were very popular with the bronco crowd. Duffs got newer springs that are also very good, there are a lot of things you can do to optimize flex. You will want longer front shocks, the stockers have no room. The D30 front axle is a big risk. They aren't up to the task of the heavy V8. They tend to break the R&P.
I don't know what you plan on doing, but I dragged mine all over the Socal Deserts, and the rubicon, and the only skid I had was on the t-case and the gas tank. The T-case never got touched, with a 3 inch lift and 35s. The rear diff had some scratches, but unless you will be rock crawling I would rethink the skids.
The EB is not a light vehicle. With hard top and doors it will weigh north of 4500 lbs.
can't help,with the fuel, but your space is limited, and your mileage will suck. Propane has worse mileage than gas, so you will need a lot more space to carry equal miles of propane vs gas.
Good luck,
Tom

vesparex

Thanks Tom,

That's a good point on the clearance. I was thinking of transfer and aux tank skids.

Currently my rig weighs about 3,400lbs. That was from a recycle's scale in IL before we moved.

Yeah the D44 would likely be a better option.

Duane

fireball

Explorer
You can find a D44 pretty easily and relatively inexpensive. That's the route I go. Tell us more about the traveling and off roading and terrain you want to tackle and we can better tell you if you need lockers. My first guess would be no! I also really don't think you'll need skid plates.

I am super happy with my JBG Super flex springs and leafs. They are Deaver made. You will need upgraded shocks or sways to control body roll with this setup. I purchased the JBG superflex kit which had cheap BDS shocks and the front end rolled all around the place. Upgraded to the F250 front mounts to accomodate longer shocks for increased travel, and went with the Bilstein 7100s. Rides awesome now! No off roading yet, still getting over the bill at the paint shop so it's too pretty to scratch up.

http://broncograveyard.com/bronco/i-13746-2-5-superflex-deluxe-lift-kit-system-1976-77.html

eggman918

Adventurer
You could get comparable power from the MB diesel without the weight hit and still get the diesel perks and parts/service world wide.
If you want more power you then will start adding weight the next option power wise is isuzu then cummins both 4cyls make comparable power with the isuzu being lighter and quieter.
For x country travel in your rig I think the MB om617 would be a option worth further research.
I running TruTrac's front/rear and am happy so far better that a standard LS but not cheap,you can rebuild most LS's and can chose different "loading's" for the clutch packs so you can fine tune for your needs.

Steve.

Last edited:

vesparex

You can find a D44 pretty easily and relatively inexpensive. That's the route I go. Tell us more about the traveling and off roading and terrain you want to tackle and we can better tell you if you need lockers. My first guess would be no! I also really don't think you'll need skid plates.

I am super happy with my JBG Super flex springs and leafs. They are Deaver made. You will need upgraded shocks or sways to control body roll with this setup. I purchased the JBG superflex kit which had cheap BDS shocks and the front end rolled all around the place. Upgraded to the F250 front mounts to accomodate longer shocks for increased travel, and went with the Bilstein 7100s. Rides awesome now! No off roading yet, still getting over the bill at the paint shop so it's too pretty to scratch up.

http://broncograveyard.com/bronco/i-13746-2-5-superflex-deluxe-lift-kit-system-1976-77.html

Thanks! And thanks for the link too.

The off-roading I "anticipate" are back country trails, 3rd world country roads. Routes needed for totally primitive camping. Not looking to do crazy stuff.

Duane

vesparex

Thanks Steve.

I will research the MB. The current trend appears to be the 4bt Cummins, but its so big. 750lbs I believe.

Thanks for the advice on the LS rebuild. I had not thought about setting loads. Hmmmm... This is why I came here! In just a few hours so many replies!

Thanks!

Duane

eggman918

Adventurer
Thanks Steve.

I will research the MB. The current trend appears to be the 4bt Cummins, but its so big. 750lbs I believe.

Thanks for the advice on the LS rebuild. I had not thought about setting loads. Hmmmm... This is why I came here! In just a few hours so many replies!

Thanks!

Duane

That is what I'm running in mine they are TALL and heavy at least as much as a 460,but I LOVE it I get 20 mpg if I keep it below 70 and pulling my trailer I still get 16+.
A 4bt with a M5odr2 or ZF5 and a np205 /44 front and 44 or 9" rear and your good to go....if that wont get you there add a 203 or a planetary under drive and go anywhere while sipping fuel.
Steve.

SoCal Tom

Explorer
Thanks Tom,

That's a good point on the clearance. I was thinking of transfer and aux tank skids.

Currently my rig weighs about 3,400lbs. That was from a recycle's scale in IL before we moved.

Yeah the D44 would likely be a better option.

Duane

That must be really close to the original configuration. Does it still have the three speed?
A couple of things to think about
1) comfy, safe secure seats. I went to Master craft Sportsman seats, and my endurance for driving went up significantly.
2) power steering if you don't have it, same reason as above, especially when it gets loaded down with gear.

Tom

vesparex

Tom,

Yes all stock right to the 3spd on the column. As for the power steering, at this point, with the 30" skinnies I have not felt the need as a DD. Off road I have idea. So maybe it will be on the wish list.

Duane

toddz69

Explorer
Welcome Duane! Glad to see you here on ExPo (another CB member). I'd second the comments from others to make a few minor updates to the truck. Power steering, front discs, and an update to a D44 front end would be great updates. Tom's advice for more comfortable seats is spot-on for long travels. I'd also recommend a set of 3 point belts for the front. I don't know what your thoughts on the 3 speed are, but a 5 speed OD swap would help with highway travels. NV3550 would probably be a good choice for your intended use. I'd keep the 289 myself and make sure it's in good running condition. An electronic ignition conversion will help ensure its reliability.

As for the limited slips in the diffs, I'm a big fan of True Tracs. Gear driven units that won't wear out like the stock types with clutch packs. If you're more inclined toward lockers (sounds like you probably won't need them), ARBs are pricey but a great option.

I've run nearly all the different suspension options offered by the various manufacturers. I've had both constant and variable rate coils on the front. I'm currently running WH 2.5" variable rate coils with some slightly de-arched WH 3" leafs in the rear. WH has recently offered Bilstein shocks to their line-up and i'd highly recommend them. X2 on the F250 or similar shock mounts for the front.

Todd Z.

vesparex

Thanks Todd,

Oddly I was a Jeep owner when I bought the Bronc. A 2009 Wrangler X 4 door 6 speed. With regards to the 3 spd vs the 6, here is how the ratios match up:

Bronco

I 2.99
II 1.46
III 1
IV
V
VI

Jeep

I 4.4
II 2.6
III 1.7
IV 1.2
V 1
VI .8

I have a disadvantage of a high 1st, but the V8 has more torque than the Jeeps V6. And I am missing the OD. Currently I average 12-16 mpg. The Jeep managed 19 in the same drive.

Just thought this was interesting to think about. I really like the column shift. If I can help it I want to retain it.

Duane

toddz69

Explorer
Just thought this was interesting to think about. I really like the column shift. If I can help it I want to retain it.

Duane

Then I'd say by all means keep it! I haven't asked what your axle ratios are. If they're 3.50s then the 3 speed with the 30" tires on the highway won't be too bad. It depends how much slow speed off road work you'll be doing.

Todd Z.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger