68 Ford Bronco "opinions" help Thread!

vesparex

Correct, axles are 3:50. She does cruise comfortably at 70, if my memory serves I think RPM's are around 2,500? Hmm, mental note to pay attention next hwy drive.

Duane

98dango

Expedition Leader
All I can add is you have a beautiful truck please don't chop it all up like so many do.

Other wise a better suspension and better seats then use it see what you need to update for you.

vesparex

All I can add is you have a beautiful truck please don't chop it all up like so many do.

Other wise a better suspension and better seats then use it see what you need to update for you.

Thanks! I promise there will be NO cutting. We searched high and low for an original, unmodified uncut EB. Shes staying the way she is except for the aforementioned upgrades.

Duane

SoCal Tom

Explorer
Then I'd say by all means keep it! I haven't asked what your axle ratios are. If they're 3.50s then the 3 speed with the 30" tires on the highway won't be too bad. It depends how much slow speed off road work you'll be doing.

Todd Z.
If you are keeping the Column shifter, then you may want to consider rebuilding it. They get sloppy after a while, and you can end up in two gears at once, which is reallllllllly baaaad.
Tom

vesparex

If you are keeping the Column shifter, then you may want to consider rebuilding it. They get sloppy after a while, and you can end up in two gears at once, which is reallllllllly baaaad.
Tom

What??! You mean 2nd & 3rd don't make 5th! LOL!

LOL! Yeah, she is pretty loose and that will be on the list this summer!

Duane

SoCal Tom

Explorer
My first car was a 3on the tree. I had shifting down : up out of first jiggle, into 2nd jiggle, down to third...
I loaned it to my Dad on day and he slammed it into second goin down hill. Spent the next weekend swapping in a junk yard trans...

toddz69

Explorer
My first car was a 3on the tree. I had shifting down : up out of first jiggle, into 2nd jiggle, down to third...
I loaned it to my Dad on day and he slammed it into second goin down hill. Spent the next weekend swapping in a junk yard trans...

I've told people in recent years that 3 on the tree transmissions are probably a pretty effective anti-theft measure since most people don't have a clue how to drive them.

Todd Z.

eggman918

Adventurer
I've told people in recent years that 3 on the tree transmissions are probably a pretty effective anti-theft measure since most people don't have a clue how to drive them.

Todd Z.

That is so true,my first car also was 3 on tree but it had the Hurst round shift knob on it and I once put it through the windshield of of my '52 CJ in a hurried down shift into 2nd....OOPS

vesparex

Todd Z.

I have to drive her through the car wash because they are afraid to drive it. And no valet either... :Wow1:

Duane

eggman918

Adventurer
I have to drive her through the car wash because they are afraid to drive it. And no valet either... :Wow1:

Duane
How about a manual choke,when my HighBoy still had the 390 if it was not warmed up it took quite a bit of foreplay to get it to start and run.
We are being robbed of common sense by the technology our intelligence enabled us to create :Wow1:
Were DOOMED:beer:

4x4junkie

Explorer
Do you have an opinion on lockers over LS? Keep in mind, I have not wheeled to any extent. But in the event there was an embankment I needed to crawl up, definitely locker or I would do fine with the LS and a little careful driving?

Duane

Sounds like everyone's got you on the right track. TrueTracs are great limited slip diffs, however there still can be situations where if the suspension gets crossed up enough (like while traversing very large ruts, etc.) and you have little or no weight on one tire of each axle, they'll act much like an open diff (spinning just the wheel with no traction). The extra suspension flex you're after no doubt will help the LS work better by keeping your wheels in better contact with the ground though (often times a bit of brake application will help transfer some power from the spinning wheel to the one with grip as well).
If you do decide on lockers, then for sure, go with selectable units. I put ARBs in mine and no regrets whatsoever. They are there when you need them, and not there when you don't (IOW, you're not fighting against the quirks of an automatic locker all the time).

fireball

Explorer
My Bronco has the original 3 on the tree, I rebuilt it and it actually shifts pretty darn good. I was planning on a NV3550 but the 3 speed is pretty darn cool, and works fine.

I've got 30s and 4.11s, so if I were doing what you're doing I'd either want to bump up a tire size or two, or swap the tranny for something with OD.

laker

My 70 has stock 302 engine and drivetrain. I installed a WH 3.5" sl, added 33" Claws and power steering. Also just convertrd the 3 on the tree to a 3 on the floor. And must say that little swap for some reason made it more fun to drive. I cut it due to the excessive rust around the fender wells and added the flares. Next on the agenda is put in the Toms power brake booster I just got. I find that for me, the stock drivetrain performs very well. I just have to use 4Low a little more now than before the 33s were put on. My engine purrs along perfectly once its warmed up, but am considering the HEI distrubutor too. I couldn't be happier with my rig. Good luck with your rig.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger