'69 Land Rover Forward Loader Over Lander 4x4 motorhome

77blazerchalet

Former Chalet owner
Did as thorough a search as I could through the LR forum, couldn't find an example of these already posted. This is from the Sedgefield Classic Cars 'sold' gallery, something I stumbled into while google searching the planet for mangy old GM 4x4 'motorhomes'...

Attachments

• Overlander.jpg
    Overlander.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 500

West Coast Mags

Adventurer
I hosted some travelers from South Africa last fall, that had a very similar unit, I'll have to check the pictures it may very well be the same vehicle. They were a great couple, have been on the road the better part of ten years having covered somewhere around 80,000 miles in it.

Josh

Adventurer
I hosted that couple as well! In July. Charming couple.

Here's a picture of their rig.. I don't think it is the same one. If so it was prior to him doing many modifications including raising the roof about 12".
july427.jpg

Kind regards, Josh

UK4X4

Expedition Leader
Not mine but built by a friend he swapped the V8 out for an Izuzu turbo diesel

he got as far as the sahara and then got a job offer he could'nt refuse
turned back for the UK and is still dreaming of his unfullfilled trip.

The paint job is way to similar to be not the same truck, or maybe they were both modified by the same company

andysvan.jpg

Last edited:

UK4X4

Expedition Leader
Yep just a natural act being performed by two large horned critters

Rhino "Injection" stickers and tire covers for Suzukis were all the rage in the

80's UK alongside the rabbit ones for VW Golfs

Suzuki jeeps from the factory had the single rhino emblem on the wheel cover

others simply upgraded

Rhino.GIF
2775371416_79c4c73ae0.jpg

Last edited:

eligar

Land Rover 'overlander'

the photo in question is an 'overlander' built by the Jan Vorster i believe, the chap you both hosted. A modified ex- South African Army Forward Control Landrover.
My F/C is closer to original Army pictured here
Front.JPG

Last edited:

michaelgroves

Explorer
Yes, I've seen a few of the Over-Lander Series 2B conversions in South Africa. Very nice trucks. The 2B is quite impressive off road, with its massive ground clearance. But slow and heavy, of course, when converted to a camper. I don't know what diff ratios they use, and whether the axles have Salisbury or ENV diffs. Either way, I think they have massively bigger half shafts than the standard Land Rovers.

eligar

But slow and heavy, of course, when converted to a camper. I don't know what diff ratios they use, and whether the axles have Salisbury or ENV diffs
This 2B has Salisbury Axles. With a 1961 3 liter straight six rover engine, she is SLOW, but steady and smooth.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears