72 Bug, Baja for the road

warwgn

Explorer
Working the top side today, already adjusted and test fit the new pans they will work perfect. Hope to put those on tomorrow after work.

Looking good! Can't wait to watch this come together, I have similar ambition but will have to wait a few years! So I'll just live vicariously through this build for a while:)

warwgn

Explorer
Finished all the welding and flipped it upside down to put some seam sealer on the bottom. Should be dry by tomorrow when I get home then can por 15 the bottom side let it dry then flip it back over for the last time and seal the inside seams let it dry a day then por 15 again.

All the dry time is killing me, but at least I should get some parts in the next two day so can keep busy doing the beam and swing arms I guess. Still need to order all the bearings and seals for the swing arms but got some decisions to make on that as well. Think I want to order the short torsion bars and new spring plates just not sure which ones to get? Also need to learn how to rebuild the swing arms, which bearings to get and how it goes together. Think there was an o-ring in there somewhere that came out when I power washed them.

Still a long way to go to have a rolling chassis then can start on the body by putting on new bottom plates for the heater channels and repairing the firewall and rear shelf too. Gonna have to get creative with the fab work and keep Iin mind how the roll cage and fuel cell will mount. Need to tie the cage to the front firewall to help support the front beam somehow...

nepbug

Coming together nicely. I used to have a 67 Baja, I'm jealous of your IRS rear end.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

nepbug

Also, if you didn't know, you can swap Porsche 944 rear arms and brakes really easily (only a bushing swap needed). The fronts can be swapped on as well, but you need to machine some spacers into the 944 hubs to install the beetle bearings.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior