72 Bug, Baja for the road

warwgn

Explorer
Ha ha, yeah that's KC, about 10 yrs old now. She is a mutt, half husky and half coyote. We just got new couches so gave her one of the old ones, she is a happy camper now.

can't see it so much now but when she was a puppy the coyote was dominant. She wondered up to me at about 6 weeks old full of ticks in the mountains of New Mexico while I was out working in a remote area on an Indian reservation and I gave her some sandwich and she followed me around ever since. Smartest dog I have ever had.

warwgn

Explorer
Had time to assemble the front suspension, added in adjusters and tacked up the hook and rod travel limeters. Tomorrow I have to pull it apart to weld the hook and rods then paint and it will be ready for final assemble of the front suspension. I am confident I will have a full rolling chassis by this weekend.

nepbug

That's always a nice milestone during a build. This is looking real good.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

warwgn

Explorer
more progress on the bottom, Almost done there and will cut the hole for the sun roof after and start the rest of the body work to get it ready for paint.

20150215_143054_zpsqcqcxawy.jpg

warwgn

Explorer
Templates are made for the driver side to box in the rocker panels. Now just need to turn cardboard into metal and weld it up.

been sick so took the last two nights off. Cutting cardboard is about all I was up for tonight.

Scoutn79

Adventurer
Man love those old Bugs.
Some friends and I had one in High school.
Corvair engine
Bus tranny
wide eye California Baja kit
full belly pan skid plate
Cu-n-turn the front and clock the rear swing arms for lift
33x12.50 Armstrong Norseman radials on the rear and some skinny 29 or 30" tires on the front.
That thing could go almost anywhere, and if you got stuck a couple strong high school boys could move it around by the front guard pretty easily.
That thing could almost do wheelies.

Thanks for sharing the build

Darrell

warwgn

Explorer
Thanks for all the replies and encouragement, and I am glad yall are enjoying my build. Should be back to work on it tonight and tomorow. Finally about over being sick.

warwgn

Explorer
Hard to see what's going on but it is coming along good, pics don't do it justice.

Pass side not done yet

Still have more clean up to do

no heater chanel anymore just welded up steel with an air gap inside.

you have made great progress.. i am in the middle of moving so have not been able to catch up till today ...and i have to take down the tower for my internet ..hopefully to will get it up soon ..dam snow storms ..lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eclipse179