72 IH + ‘85 Alaskan = Questionable Judgment...

Nailhead

Bummer about the vent being plugged and the issues from it. You should be able to get a brass screen vent to put on the outside part of the line. Would allow it to vent but not let bugs in.

It just has to let air & water pass unhindered while excluding bugs. I haven’t really devoted much energy to a solution because so much other crap has been going on. Some sort of screen sounds about right.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

fritz

Traveler
Seemingly no sooner than I got this solved, another train wreck came my way.

I’d just learned about Cat Scales, and I was excited to weigh the truck so I could order rear springs. I’d looked around town for a couple years, didn’t find any easy options, and then I find out I can get my truck scaled out— axle weights included— from an app. Hell yeah!

As a prerequisite to weighing, I had to load up the truck like was taking an epic trip: big cooler on the back, solar suitcase and inflatable kayak inside, with dumbells in the cooler and on the inside to approximate food & beer.

I also filled the water tank, and in the process some things happened that I dismissed in my enthusiasm to get weighed. I didn’t see any returns through the vent hose like I usually do when the tank is full, and the front wall of the camper suddenly bulged forward, prompting me to immediately shut the water off. Then when I removed the hose, water came shooting out the filler. Huh… weird. Whatever, let’s go!

Cat Scales are super easy, IIRC: open the app, drive on the scale, weight is provided, credit card is charged:

2e78ddc6543fe452bed158379491c1e6.jpg

Large-boned:

40b596c1668ce2691e129d88c71e56a8.jpg

Cool— now I can replace these beat springs.

I get back home, open the camper door to unload the weight I’d added and noticed to my growing horror things aren’t looking quite right in here, s I start raising the top. This foreboding is compounded exponentially when I step on the water tank cover (like I always do) to access the cabover, and it falls onto the tank within:

02b5f3a78b51cd60467780c523224467.jpg

Something is really ************ up in here.

The explanation for the squeak I heard when the front wall bulged starts to reveal itself:

e84045954f39cc39c3d89671e478ba20.jpg

7de091bc4c09f8bab339ce6944117dc0.jpg

The bulging water tank had pushed the dinette almost an inch to the rear on both sides. Apparently, the vent hose was plugged (upper hose in pic):

c59921feaee2698a0dfb464f99bc5ed0.jpg

Several hours spent with ratchet straps, various jigs, hammers, and even a small hydraulic jack, and I had everything essentially back in its place:

434517a10e3a3ef30cb7e6f1153a49af.jpg

All this panic and work caused by bug building a cocoon in the tank vent. No lasting harm done, and took the opportunity to add a hold-down to the water tank:

e1453320ffddd006d3ff85643fe90725.jpg

a692c0458d65bb4a21a7848ea5ab4fc0.jpg

I still haven’t come up with a way to exclude bugs from that vent, though.

A piece of scotch bright pad in the outside end of the vent line

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Interesting. I'll have to check out those kayaks. Does it seem durable enough to have a small dog on it to?
Inflatable kayaks intrigue me but, I'm concerned with claws puncturing it. Cause that would be...unpleasant.

Nailhead

Interesting. I'll have to check out those kayaks. Does it seem durable enough to have a small dog on it to?
Inflatable kayaks intrigue me but, I'm concerned with claws puncturing it. Cause that would be...unpleasant.

Your dog would have to really work at puncturing that material, and it would have to be puppy teeth doing the work. It’s tough stuff.

Nailhead

A piece of scotch bright pad in the outside end of the vent line

I’m a little concerned the jet of water that spurts out of there when the tank fills would shoot that Scotchbrite out of the tube.

ITTOG

Don't need anything too big. One it would just be me and the other the wife and our small terrier.
If I could fit a rod and small tackle box onboard that would be a bonus too.
We have a blowup that will fit two people. It would be cramped with a dog but would work. I think you need a canoe.

Nailhead

We each use our own kayak. Me solo on one and the wife and our terrier on the other.

View attachment 811537

Thinking the inflatables discussed above would be easier to transport.

Most definitely: think “big duffel bag”.

This has saved me the trouble of fabricating a roof rack for the Alaskan, with the reduction in gas mileage and increase in clearance that would go with it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998