73 Toyota Chinook LA + few more finds

funrunner

Not mine and no affiliation. I have been hunting for Toyota Chinook's and this one is gorgeous.

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/rvs/5222160484.html

From ad:

Up for grabs is a rare Toyota Chinook Camper that's been completely redone, inside and out. If you've been hunting for one of these rare babies, you know what this is, and it's got a TON of great custom options NEVER found on a stock Chinook. I looked at a LOT of these before getting this one, and most were trashed.

Everywhere we've gone, people love this thing. It's a real eye turner, and we got "thumbs up" every day in the campgrounds.

1973 Model, so NO SMOG required ever. I have clear title and registration in hand.

Odometer reads 13,000. I'm guessing it's probably 113k, but don't know, and the odometer flips over to zero at 99,999. I do know the vehicle sat for a LONG time before I got it, so I'm guessing it's got 113,000 on it.

Engine/Trans:

The truck now has the Toyota 2.2 Liter 20R bulletproof Toyota engine with lots of bolt on upgrades
Weber 32/36 carb
Headers
2 1/4" exhaust pipe

These upgrades give more power, AND better MPG. In fact, we got 23MPG recently on a trip to Sequoia, and the truck hummed along at 80MPH with no problems.

Has a 5 Speed manual Trans. (These Chinooks NEVER came with a 5 speed, only a 4 Speed or Automatic.) The 5 speed directly bolts on, but the transmission mount had to be modified.
New Clutch, Pressure plate, Release bearing, and Clutch Slave cylinder.

Disc Brakes in front with new pads.
Drums in rear.

Body was recently freshly painted.

New tail lights and front turn signal lights.
New Rubber weatherstripping in the doors.

Wheel rims were sandblasted and powder coated, as was the rear bumper and other parts. Even has the original Toyota Chrome Hubcaps

Five new tires with less than 1000 miles on them.

Cab Interior:
New custom made padded door panels.
New custom built wood center console for more storage

JVC Stereo system with bluetooth, microphone, has USB, and all sorts of other cool features. New 6 x 9 speakers mounted behind the seats. Stereo sounds great.

The uncomfortable Stock seats that came with these trucks were rigid and couldn't recline. They have been replaced with nice seats from a Toyota corolla. It now has adjustable headrests, and the angle can now be adjusted too.

Extra Gauges installed for Oil Pressure and Voltmeter. The idiot lights in the gauge cluster do work, but gauges are better for monitoring the engine, hence why I put them in. Now it has both.

The Camper Part:

Camper mounting bolts were completely replaced with new bolts.

Interior was completely gutted, new paneling, and custom built lightweight wood cabinets were installed. It now features wood countertops with a thick hard resin coating. They're gorgeous. Has two drawers, one thin over the fridge, one large near the rear. Large storage cabinet in rear.

Lots of storage under the bench seats too.

Two facing bench seats with a table in between fold down into a nice bed that's about 6' long and close to 5 feet wide. I'm 6' tall, and my girlfriend and I fit in it fine. The cushions were custom made, and are of a nice firm density. We slept great in it.

Windows slide open, and have new screens in them, as well as new light darkening curtains throughout. So if you want to sleep in after the sun comes up, you easily can.

New bamboo flooring makes it easy to sweep out.

Cabover part has new vinyl and padding on the shelf area.

New Rear door.

Pop up roof hardware was all removed, sandblasted, powder coated, and then re-installed with new stainless steel hardware. (The old stuff was completely rusted, as most of these are.)

New roof tie down straps

The original truck had a hand pump cold water with the 5 galling tank. That was replaced with an electric pump water system and a 20 gallon fresh water holding tank.

I added an RV propane hot water heater (with 120V booster), so you have hot water at the sink, AND out the outside shower. Yes, that's right. There's a shower on the outside of the truck too with hot and cold faucets. Hot water and a shower were NEVER an option on these campers.

No Toilet. No interior shower.

All four interior lights were replaced with LED style lights for less power usage. We never ran low on power.

Extra exterior lights were installed on the rear for working at night. Also LED style.

Original Ice box was replaced with a 3 way fridge that runs on 120V, 12V, or Propane.

Power inverter allows you to hook up to 120V power, and run all the 12V systems. Has a second battery for running the camper that charges when you drive, but is isolated from the truck power so you don't drain the battery.

Two 12V power ports in the rear, and there are also two outlet for 120 when you're plugged into shore power.

There is NO heater, or A/C in the camper part of the truck.

Cab does NOT have A/C, but that can be installed as an aftermarket item if you wish.

2 burner stovetop was NOT installed, because cooking in such a small space stinks up the camper, and we like to camp in bear country. We used a small portable coleman stove outside. There is space in the countertop to install a two burner stove if one wished, but I wouldn't do it.

The Bad: Vinyl top has a few small tears in it from where it got pinched in the mechanism. They have been patched with clear vinyl patch on both sides, and are holding fine. Zippers on vinyl windows work, but they're not great. Screens in the vinyl windows have some small tears as well. Replacing the vinyl in the top is EXTREMELY difficult, hence why I didn't do it. It's mostly cosmetic, but I wanted to mention it.

Comes with a bunch of extra parts too. Two boxes worth of used parts, and some new stuff too, including a spare windshield. (I'm told those are hard to come by.)

The Chinook has had countless hours of love in restoring it, but we've realized we need something bigger to take our dogs with us, so it's being offered up for sale.

Not desperate to sell, and we won't respond to stupid lowball offers. I recently saw a restored one of these sell for over $12K. Reasonable offers will be considered.

CASH ONLY. We will NOT ship the item. Don't even ask.

Any other questions, feel free to ask.

If you've been looking for a 1970's Toyota Chinook, you know how rare this one is, and you almost never find them in this nice of condition.

Also this rad dually Chinook in TX: http://dallas.craigslist.org/******/rvs/5218541141.html
Cheap Chinook: http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/cto/5202103486.html
Annnnnd one more: http://albuquerque.craigslist.org/rvs/5191366440.html

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
The LA one is ridiculously overpriced. These just don't sell for that much....if it was a v6 sunrader shorty they might get that but otherwise no way.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle