1999 GMC Yukon Build

noJeepshere

Adventurer
Any updates? Real nice vehicle. I had a 97 at one point. Was more a highway cruiser though. I loved it, but I sold it when I picked up a Diesel truck I enjoyed more. MPG was the biggest killer in high school.

ZmQmof5.jpg
Mine was a highway hauler for a lot of years, I've owned this truck for over ten years now, and I don't plan on selling it ever. Keeping it full while I was in college was a choice of "do I eat, or does the Yukon eat?" and usually it was the truck, as it took me to work.

It's now a toy so I can really have fun with it. I have a newer Silverado that is the daily driver, to be replaced in a year or so with a diesel Silverado

Sent from my VK815 using Tapatalk

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Looks like lots of fun Nojeeps. Your new bumper looks great. Thanks for posting all your adventure pics. cheers, Chilli..:)

noJeepshere

Adventurer
Electronics savvy folk, I need some help. I want to install two backup cameras on Yukon, one up front the other in the back. The rear facing camera will come on when I put it in reverse, the front I want to put on a switch on the dash so I can see over obstacles. I would like the rear image to always override the front image. Is there a device that will allow me to do this? Or will it need to be custom work?

What y'all got?

Since last summer, haven't done much other than drive it occasionally (got a new daily driver) and do some repairs and maintenance. I am getting a new front bumper soon and hopefully a new rear bumper in the next year (the company I want to buy my rear bumper from has yet to design it, but it's coming) and maybe a real locker in the rear... The gov-lock is worthless on the trail.

Congrats on the ARB bumper, I just picked one up for my 99' Burb. Could you give me some info on the rear bumper you said a company is making. It maybe something I'm interested in.

noJeepshere

Adventurer
Thanks. The company is DIY4X, and the owner is still prototyping the bumper. He's been in the squarebody fabrication trade for ages and is now branching out into the next generation of trucks. The one for the squarebody is called the gauntlet, and it's a bit pricey, but it's one of the few bumpers that will be properly designed and looks decent, which is a hard thing to come by with these trucks it seems.

Thanks. The company is DIY4X, and the owner is still prototyping the bumper. He's been in the squarebody fabrication trade for ages and is now branching out into the next generation of trucks. The one for the squarebody is called the gauntlet, and it's a bit pricey, but it's one of the few bumpers that will be properly designed and looks decent, which is a hard thing to come by with these trucks it seems.

Thanks, I took a look and there rear bumpers look nice!

Hopefully they will come out with the next gen bumpers, Did you hear any word on a possible date?

arveetek

Adventurer
Very cool! I may have missed it, but do you have info on your in-dash screen setup there? Did you move the a/c controls down lower in the dash?

Casey

noJeepshere

Adventurer
You didn't miss anything, I just didn't update this thread with a few of the things I've done to it over the years.

(Copied from another site)

Next, the radio. I never really cared for the factory radio in these things, sound wasn't great and not much adjustability in the sound. Bass and treble, that was it. I like my tunes and I like good sound. I realize this is not a quiet ride by any means, but still, good sound is good sound. But, I hated the way a single din aftermarket piece looked in the dash, it just screamed "aftermarket!" Not that a double din radio doesn't...

So, I decided on a double din radio for many reasons: first, it has backup camera capability. Second, I can put a nav system in it. (Though right now my Magellan roadmate is still working) Thirdly, the sound output from this unit set back indefinitely the need to upgrade the speakers. And I can tune the sound through 10 channels, like it should be. Problem was, I had to make it fit, which was no easy task. First I went to the junkyard and picked up a broken dash out of a similar truck to do measurements and practice cuts, then I hacked an aftermarket single din install kit to work, then I hacked my dash in the right places to make it fit, and voila! I have a fairly decent looking install. I was going to use some plastic and filler putty to fill in around the holes beside the unit, but forgot about it and now I don't really care. Function over form I guess...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94