Pictures of Expedition Motorcycles

Clutch

<---Pass
Hltoppr said:
I really like the 640s....great bikes!

-H-

Ugly as all get out....sure was fun.

Doing the single track thing for awhile, then I am getting a big bike. Maybe the new KTM 690 will be out when I am ready. Next fall, we are doing a dual sport ride in Copper Canyon. A little pre-run for when we do the "big" mainland Mexico trip.

My new single track weapon. :)

jkam

nomadic man
My RTW 1100GS.
loaded_gs.jpg

My wee strom.
v_strom_and_umbrella.jpg

v_strom_hacienda_hotel_in_mulege.jpg

vcsnover

Adventurer
my former love... now she's gone

This is a not so good early morning shot of us all geared up for the semi annual Laurel Fork dualsport ride in the mountains of beautiful West Virginia..
advriderstuff056.jpg

Taking a break en route...
advriderstuff057.jpg

Me laying on the dirt... just wrecked and compounded the tib/fib on the R leg!
advriderstuff067.jpg

My poor baby is wounded..
advriderstuff061.jpg

advriderstuff062.jpg

Off I go for emergency surgery... awesome ambulance crew, got to the scene fast.. especially out in BFE!!
advriderstuff068.jpg

The aftermath..
advriderstuff078.jpg

and finally a pic I tossed in of my backup bike taken at the NY fingerlakes rally over Labor Day weekend (wrecked the 650 2 wks ago today):( :(
advriderstuff005.jpg

LiveRust

Observer
Ouch! I hate to see a bike damaged like that.

too bad about your leg too.

what was the trail like where you wrecked? who fast were you going?

vcsnover

Adventurer
actually a gravel forest svc road... had been grades with lots of spots of deep gravel and soft shoulders.. hit the gravel in a turn doing about 50, and lost it over the bank and into a big ass boulder.. .over the bars and on the back, bummer.:oops:

TxRider

Observer
Pavement type bikes... This is my old Dyna glide Sport. Did surprisingly well on tame dirt roads too. Somewhere in N.C.. My buddies Triumph on the right.

KIF_0680.JPG

I sold the Harley while resale was still good, bought a 2004 Yamaha FZ-1. 140hp on 450lbs of bike, zoom zoom... :) Talamena scenic drive in Oklahoma.

KIF_0941.JPG

My '96 KTM (for sale now) Somewhere in the wide expanses of West Texas on the way home from a week in Big Bend.
KIF_0866.JPG

The newer 2004 KTM This spring on a week offroad trek around Arizona.. This a weeks worth of gear, tools and food/water, I'm the black bike in the back

DSCN2297.jpg

IMG_0097.jpg

Sorry about the size of the last one, I can reduce it if it's a problem here.

TxRider

Observer
I've found for outback riding the biggest heaviest bike I would take would be a KLR, or maybe a F650, both heavier than I like if I'm doing more than pretty tame dirt roads.

A good lighter bike from a 250 to 400 would do fine as well, though might be challenged to run 70 on the highway, small price to pay if you plan to do a lot of rough offroad to make that easier.

Better to use a bike that weighs in at closer to 300lb like a Honda WR, XL, DR650, KTM LC4 or so with a 5 gallon tank, and pack light. For me if I'm over 30lbs of gear I'm too heavy.

Makes for a much more pleasant ride that way, and lets you go pretty much anywhere. Not to mention picking up heavier bikes after a wipeout (which is more likely with a heavier or overpacked bike) can be a real bear when your wiped out too, or hurt.

I like to pack using a lot of the same practices an ultra lightweight backpacker does.

I also will never own a dual sport with hard side cases for luggage, I've seen too many very nasty leg breaks from folks stabbing a foot down in a rough spot and having the case hit the back of their legs, and guys going down and getting nasty breaks. Maybe soft side bags like "dirt bagz" brand but hard side cases and dirt riding do not mix that well IMO.

Last edited:

Hltoppr

El Gringo Spectacular!
Nice Pat!!!

We're under a bunch of snow and ice right now....but I'm headed South to warmer climes in about a week and a half....so more adv. bike pics to come!

-H-

longrider_1947

3000 mile trip

We did a 3000 mile trip in Or. Wa. Id. and Mt. Going to take a month or so next summer and look around the NWT and Alaska.

rathackman

New guy...posting bikes....

Hi all, Brian in NM here with some pix of my current bikes. I am closing in on 64 Y.O. and I find the dirt is not so intriguing after 40 years+ of riding. I sure do love my traveling though and have toured a great deal...mostly on pavement any more...lots of gravel and very little off-road.
First is my main ride for long several month trips with my dog...I camp always...none of this "Motel camping". I am a dedicated sidecarist these days.
Second is a pic of our two tiddlers for any off roading and trail riding we do and I actually use one for all my around town driving yearround.
The third is my Funduro (you can see my wifes behind it) which we use for trips without the dog.
Brian in NM

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bad Taste