7K of USA

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Some nice improvments on your camper there Colorado! Good to see the young ones catching fish. I guess the journey up pikes peak was fun too. Thanks for posting. Cheers, Chilli...:drool:

Colorado_Outback

Adventurer
Finally getting around to building a headache rack for the truck.

3" sq tube with 3" angle on the bed rail.

20151028_144838 by colorado_baja, on Flickr

20151028_150850 by colorado_baja, on Flickr

Getting an idea of what it looks like on there, still trying to decide if I'm going to bob the corners or not.

20151028_152305 by colorado_baja, on Flickr

20151028_152316 by colorado_baja, on Flickr

At 1" taller then the cab I should be able to load the camper with out any issues.

20151028_152325 by colorado_baja, on Flickr

Ordered some Optronics LED's, tomorrow I need to get a couple sticks of angle I didn't have on hand and start working on the mesh panel.

20151028_191120 by colorado_baja, on Flickr

Colorado_Outback

Adventurer
2015-11-09_05-45-20 by colorado_baja, on Flickr

Got all the final changes made and started painting it this afternoon. I decided to make the angle that mounts it to the bed rail longer and add 2 more bolts to hold it in place. It was pretty sturdy with two but hey why use 2 when 4 will do. Also added in some tie down holes in the angle with the CNC plasma.

The paint job will really make the CO flag stand out.

Colorado_Outback

Adventurer
Haha, I've collected mine over the last 10 years. I started welding out of necessity when the 55 CJ5 I had needed way more rust repair then I initially thought. 10 years later I have a degree in Welding Technology, worked a bunch of jobs and now co own a CNC plasma cutting and production welding business with my family. I spend most of my time tig welding other peoples production parts, but every once in a while I get to do fun stuff. :)

20150730_095107 by colorado_baja, on Flickr

drewactual

Adventurer
that's some beautiful work, man...

you were talking about on-board air in another thread... just food for thought- I knew a guy who built out a headache rack similar to yours, custom fab'd in his garage.. he is quite the welder, too... he sealed it, and it's where he stores his air... pumps that rascal up to something like 300psi, and with a drain on one end and a valveset on the other... instead of having an onboard compressor, he just topped it off and refilled it from him macdaddy shop compressor.

Colorado_Outback

Adventurer
that's some beautiful work, man...

you were talking about on-board air in another thread... just food for thought- I knew a guy who built out a headache rack similar to yours, custom fab'd in his garage.. he is quite the welder, too... he sealed it, and it's where he stores his air... pumps that rascal up to something like 300psi, and with a drain on one end and a valveset on the other... instead of having an onboard compressor, he just topped it off and refilled it from him macdaddy shop compressor.

Very cool, thinking about it now ive seen bumpers and roll cages done that way as well. Not sure where I would put the fittings to keep them out of the way on this rack. Ill probably go with a round tank under the bed, being CCLB it has close to a football field of space under there.

Bushcoat

one trail at a time
Awesome craftsmanship in that rack. No doubt you have alot of Colorado pride! I was there my first time this fall and am trying to find time to get back!

Colorado_Outback

Adventurer
Some awesome bright colours there Mr Colorado...:Wow1:

Still not totally sure on the full color paint job.. We'll see if it grows on me, if not it might get white washed.

Finished it up today. Still need to hook up the bed light 12v but other then that its fully wired.

20151122_143918 by colorado_baja, on Flickr

20151122_154051 by colorado_baja, on Flickr

20151122_154039 by colorado_baja, on Flickr

20151122_154127 by colorado_baja, on Flickr

Kinda hard to tell with the white on white on white but its an inch taller then the cab.
20151122_154141 by colorado_baja, on Flickr

Pic of the wire tuck and ground corners.

20151122_154119 by colorado_baja, on Flickr

Pretty pleased with how it turned out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger