80/20 Extrusions for roof rack for FWC?

SameGuy

Observer
I will be picking up my FWC Hawk shell next week. I was planning on adding Yakima or Thule tracks to the roof to accommodate our Kayaks and other stuff that will go on the roof, but the price from either of these manufacturers is crazy for such a simple extrusion. I have looked at 80/20 for other projects and thought it would be just the ticket for this one. I was planning on attaching 2 pieces of the 1050 as tracks in the north south direction, probably along the entire length of the roof, then 4-6 pieces of the 2012 east to west on top of them to form a grid. I think I would just drill through the the center of the 2012 where it intersects the 1050 rails to allow it to be adjustable along the length of the 1050 Tracks, although I could drill 2 holes down in the T-tracks to have 2 attachment points on each piece, not sure it is necessary though. My kayak mounts (hully rollers and mako saddles) can be easily attached to the T-slots as well as solar, eye bolts, whatever. When FWC is installing the camper I will pick their brain about the best way to attach it to the roof. Any suggestions or opinions?

1050_photo.png1050 2012_photo.png2012

SameGuy

Observer
Good point about deflection, I hadn't thought about that. I'll have to see how far apart the rails can be placed and do some math. 80/20 has a deflection calculator on their site. (how cool is that) I plugged in 75lbs and 60in span and got .29in evenly loaded and .59 center loaded. That is for one span of 2012. Assuming the kayaks' weight will be shared by 2 spans and they are in the neighborhood of 50lb each I think I will be in good shape. Adding a support in the middle may be a good plan just to be sure the 2012 doesn't bounce on the roof in rough conditions, or simply going with a heavier extrusion that has less deflection.

BajaSurfRig

@SameGuy can you post some photos when you finish the install with a parts list. I want to install some racks on my FWC and agree that the price of Yakima's is crazy.

SameGuy

Observer
I'd be happy to, thinking it will be a few months before it gets done as were locked into winter pretty tight here in Wyoming. Hopefully I can get the bugs worked out of the design by spring, lol.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears