80 Series vs. 4th Gen 4Runner. Thoughts?

Moody

Needs to get out more
I am thinking fairly seriously about passing on my wonderful 80 series along and picking up a 4th gen. 4runner to take over exploration and travel duties.

I have 3 options... one keep the 80. It is 'done', and has proven to be ultimately all I will ever need. Currently has 176k on the clock.

Two, find a new owner for the 80 and buy a 4runner. Benefit here is I would have some cash available to build it.

Three, sell my wife's car (she thinks it is too small and unsafe after a recent fender bender, its an 01 IS300) and buy a 4runner for her to drive, and use on exploration/travel trips.

Option 3 puts us back into dual SUV's, which I would prefer to not have.

Thoughts? Constructive Criticism?

EDIT: I have kept my 80, and purchased a 2004 4Runner in the V8 flavor. It has now had an OME suspension lift, sliders, ARB air compressor, and an IBS Battery system is on it's way, and one of these days I will install the ARB front bumper that is sitting in the garage.

FYI:
After about page 10 this thread becomes all about the 100 series vs. ________

Last edited:

LTFJC

Observer
I say keep the 80 for atleast another year or so, let toyota catch and fix any "issues" the new 4runner has. If there arent any to be found then atleast you waited untill the high new vehicle sticker price comes down a bit. just my thooughts. goodluck with your choice..

cc93cruiser

Observer
Is this the 4runner with the crawl control option like the newest land cruiser? If it is, that thing is sweet! Rubicon tested too (magazine articles I read).

clinnet

Observer
Its the 5th generation with the crawl control option like the 200 series Land Cruiser.

Too bad the Trail Edition does not offer the 3rd row. From looking, this is possibly the best complete all around off road offer from Toyota.

Just to add: This would be the only 4runner that I would consider over an 80 series Land Cruiser.

Last edited:

a.mus.ed

Explorer
Are you unhappy with the 80 in any way, or are you just experiencing a grass-might-be-greener moment?

AlexJet

Explorer
I had the same debate sometime ago.

If you need truck for long trips, then LC80 is better as it offers more space.
If you DD your truck and bring it to tight trails, then 4Runner is better.
I stayed with 4Runner, because its smaller, easier in the city, use much less gas and offers more gadgets then LC80. I do miss a solid axle in front, but that all what I missed of LC80.
My 4Runner can do the same route as Jeep TJ in deep forest trail, forget doing it in LC80 with it long wheel base and overall length.
Its up to your preferences.

gearguywb

Explorer
I would be very surprised if the 80 was larger than the 5th gen 4Runner. I have a 4th gen and have had an 80 and they are two different animals...and the 5th gen is another one altogether.

One immediate advantage of the 4Runner is in fuel consumption and horsepower. My 80 was doing good to get 11-12 and the 4Runner (V8) stays pretty solid in the 16-17 range.

Don't get me wrong, the 80 is a wonderful vehicle that I would take anywhere but there are some advantages to the newer truck. The 5th generation is rated at even better mileage with the higher output V6.

Life_in_4Lo

Explorer

I stayed with 4Runner, because its smaller, easier in the city, use much less gas and offers more gadgets then LC80. I do miss a solid axle in front, but that all what I missed of LC80.
My 4Runner can do the same route as Jeep TJ in deep forest trail, forget doing it in LC80 with it long wheel base and overall length.

The LC wheelbase is perfect for a wagon. That is why it has remained the same for over 3 decades on the LC.

Overall length/width is very similar to the 4Runner but the extra height affords a better seating position and more cargo room.

The folding seat design on the 4Runner and V engine bay allow for a longer load floor w/ 2nd row seats installed.

I agree the 4Runner is a better mixed use suv. It's lighter and more nimble. It's got far better power/weight ratio - and since the OP is looking at 4th gen, I would highly suggest the V8 if you do buy.

All that said, it's apples and oranges. If you are happy w/ the 80, just keep it. They aren't making any more so if you want to get rid of it, be really sure about that decision.

If you want to build up something else, the 4Runner is a great platform to work with. If I were to build up a 4Runner, I would start w/ the 2005 V8 Limited and go to town on it. That would be a fun project.

Ruffin' It

Explorer
Both are great trucks and both accel in seperate areas. I waffeled between a 4Runner and an 80 for a while. I would maintain that the IS300 is safer in some aspects than a 4Runner though. You have a much better chance of avoiding an accident in the first place and those things are built pretty well. Sure, a head on with a semi will have to go to the 4Runner, but most accidents aren't of that nature.
Just my thoughts though. I think there are good upsides to all the options and if you have had your 80 for a while and think going with something more nimble would work for you, it might.

Moody

Needs to get out more
Is this the 4runner with the crawl control option like the newest land cruiser? If it is, that thing is sweet! Rubicon tested too (magazine articles I read).
I am looking at a 4th gen. the newer ones have the crawl mode.

Its the 5th generation with the crawl control option like the 200 series Land Cruiser.

Too bad the Trail Edition does not offer the 3rd row. From looking, this is possibly the best complete all around off road offer from Toyota.

Just to add: This would be the only 4runner that I would consider over an 80 series Land Cruiser.
I don't need the 3rd row, but it has been nice to have it at times. I believe the trail edition would be a nice one to build.

Are you unhappy with the 80 in any way, or are you just experiencing a grass-might-be-greener moment?
My -only- complaint about the 80 is lack of power. Given, I came from a 1988 FJ 62 Landcruiser, so this is more powerful than the previous rig, but I would love more power. Gas mileage is sometimes lame, but not too big of an issue.

I am not really interested in 'wheeling' per se...just capability to hit up the more remote areas comfortably. Utah has spoiled me.

Moody

Needs to get out more
I think you should try and swap your 80 with a buddies 4R for a week and then decide.

I am heading to Moab next weekend with my good friend and he has an 05 Runner that is mildly built, I am going to try it out down there. I drove it stock for about 100 miles, and I really liked it.

I would be very surprised if the 80 was larger than the 5th gen 4Runner. I have a 4th gen and have had an 80 and they are two different animals...and the 5th gen is another one altogether.

One immediate advantage of the 4Runner is in fuel consumption and horsepower. My 80 was doing good to get 11-12 and the 4Runner (V8) stays pretty solid in the 16-17 range.

Don't get me wrong, the 80 is a wonderful vehicle that I would take anywhere but there are some advantages to the newer truck. The 5th generation is rated at even better mileage with the higher output V6.
I think you are spot on. The power thing is one of the major positives for me.

The LC wheelbase is perfect for a wagon. That is why it has remained the same for over 3 decades on the LC.

Overall length/width is very similar to the 4Runner but the extra height affords a better seating position and more cargo room.

The folding seat design on the 4Runner and V engine bay allow for a longer load floor w/ 2nd row seats installed.

I agree the 4Runner is a better mixed use suv. It's lighter and more nimble. It's got far better power/weight ratio - and since the OP is looking at 4th gen, I would highly suggest the V8 if you do buy.

All that said, it's apples and oranges. If you are happy w/ the 80, just keep it. They aren't making any more so if you want to get rid of it, be really sure about that decision.

If you want to build up something else, the 4Runner is a great platform to work with. If I were to build up a 4Runner, I would start w/ the 2005 V8 Limited and go to town on it. That would be a fun project.
Good point on the 'being sure'. I am not sure at all. I really like my 80, it has been a stellar rig.
Both are great trucks and both accel in seperate areas. I waffeled between a 4Runner and an 80 for a while. I would maintain that the IS300 is safer in some aspects than a 4Runner though. You have a much better chance of avoiding an accident in the first place and those things are built pretty well. Sure, a head on with a semi will have to go to the 4Runner, but most accidents aren't of that nature.
Just my thoughts though. I think there are good upsides to all the options and if you have had your 80 for a while and think going with something more nimble would work for you, it might.
I think you are right about the IS. I want her to keep it (selfishly, I really like driving it). Another reason she wants something bigger is we just went down to Palm Desert, CA and loaded with 2 kids, the two of us, and baggage for the 5 days it was cramped. This supports the idea of a 4runner for both family trips as well as trips to the backcountry.

Good stuff guys, I appreciate your input.

freshspecbluegt

Adventurer
Space is going to be the big issue going from the 80 to the 4runner. My GF has a fourth gen and the couple of times we have used it for camping it has been a really tight squeeze to fit everything. The 80 has no problem fitting all the same gear.

Her's is a 6cyl. two wheel drive so I can't compare the offroad capabilities. It is however a comfy highway cruiser but doesn't really seem to do too much better than 23 mpg or so even on long highway trips. Plenty of power even in 6 cyl guise.

I don't use my 80 as a daily driver I have a Celica that I run around in. Not that a celica is going to blow you away with the feeling of massive power, but somehow when I drive the 80 I just have a different mind set that its not supposed to be fast so I really don't feel a lack of power. I think it might be different if I was driving it everyday.

100 series might be an in between compromise as well

Ross

AlexJet

Explorer

I have V6 and its an awesome engine. It pulls my truck which is 1500 heavier then stock + 10'000 lbs trailer easily and consumes less gas then V8. 1GR-FE engine is great and is better for 4Runner from my point of view. If you still thinks you want more, then URD supercharger can put 400 hp at your rear wheels, but again, 4Runner is not a sport car and designed for different purposes, so it don't need high power engine. Ideally would of been D-4D, but its not available here...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle