80 series weight?

Snowdrift

I'm thinking of using 80 series springs to lift my 4runner. I would like to see what the weight of the 80s are in comparison. My 4runner
> weighs in at 5725 lbs, Rear is 3155, lbs loaded for a weekend trip. Some
> trips are lighter but some are packed heaver I would say these weights
> are average.

Pskhaat

2005 Expedition Trophy Champion
Snowdrift said:
I'm thinking of using 80 series springs to lift my 4runner

Pretty common thing to do; I assume you mean stock LC80 springs? GVW is ~6500lbs IIRC. Rumor is however that due to frame-to-axle variations the 80 springs (stock or aftermarket) provide significant lift and adequate rates.

Snowdrift

Thanks for the reply. Anyone have their rear weight? I'm actually wanting 6" of lift. I am thinking of using Slee lift springs.

NorCalSam

Adventurer
A landcrusier is much heavier that a 4 runner. And the Landcrusier is more balanced from front to rear then most rigs. (This is my understanding anyway.)

I would think that you should be looking at a 4" lift spring to get about 6" on a 4 runner but it I were you I would call or email Slee Off-road.

They are great people over there and have lots of info.

good luck

Last edited:

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
You didn't mention what year your rig was? 90'-95' or 96'-02' can both use LC coils, just different LC coils ;)

Stock 80 coils will net ~3"-4" of lift in the rear of a stock 4Runner, anything higher than that and you need to really be worrying about how your going to get the front even close to that height. I've used 80 coils on quite a few Runners, overall they net a good height, good ride & flex and the cheapest price as you can score 80 takeouts for $20/pair on a regular basis.

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
There are also two variations, the Lexus version is also a slightly softer spring if required.. I swear I recycled maybe 6 pairs last night either off 80 or 100 series... I can jump into the steel dumpster and fish them out if required....

Wombat

Observer
Fully loaded with all my gear my 80 weighs 7160 lbs with 3260 on the rear axle. Empty it weighed in at 5760 lbs. I didn't get axle weights on the empty weigh ticket.

Scott

Snowdrift said:
I'm thinking of using 80 series springs to lift my 4runner. I would like to see what the weight of the 80s are in comparison. My 4runner
> weighs in at 5725 lbs, Rear is 3155, lbs loaded for a weekend trip. Some
> trips are lighter but some are packed heaver I would say these weights
> are average.

24HOURSOFNEVADA

Expedition Leader
Enroute to the 2007 ExPo Trophy.

The contents inside included; One Pelican Case (Size 1660) loaded with clothes/hygiene items. One ARB 45 Freezer fridge (Loaded to the top) with food items. Both of these items were in the rear cargo area. Along with other "little" items in the passenger compartment.

The truck was fitted with an Arb Bull Bar, Warn 12000 Lb winch with synthetic line.

Lightforce 240's

OME J Spring lift

255/85R16's on factory aluminum wheels. Matching tire/wheel combo in the stock location.

Stock rear bumper

The steer axle weighed in at 3060 lbs.

The rear axle weighed in at 2820 lbs.

For a grand total of 5880 lbs.

Weighing it with a fully loaded Adventure Trailers Chaser increased the weights to;

Steer axle 2920 (Lightened the front by 140 lbs.)

Rear axle 4880 (Increased rear weight by 2060 lbs.)

For a grand total of 7800 lbs.

The white 07 4Runner next to me was almost the same weight. I can't remember if he was a little more or a little less than me. I want to say there was like a 60 lb. difference. He also has a twin Chaser hidden from view.

Here's a picture for reference.
100_1540.jpg

Snowdrift

Thanks every one for all the input. My 4runner is a 99 and it actualy has a 6'' lift on now. The current springs were custom made but wont hold up to the weight that I pile on them. Thats why I'm thinkin Land Cruiser springs. It looks like my rear wieghs in close to the lc.

Snowdrift

dieselcruiserhead said:
There are also two variations, the Lexus version is also a slightly softer spring if required.. I swear I recycled maybe 6 pairs last night either off 80 or 100 series... I can jump into the steel dumpster and fish them out if required....

Thanks for the offer but I don't think the stock take outs will do what I'm looking for.

Snowdrift

NorCalSam said:
I would think that you should be looking at a 4" lift spring to get about 6" on a 4 runner but it I were you I would call or email Slee Off-road.

They are great people over there and have lots of info.

good luck
Thats pretty much what I have gathered in my searching.
I have been in touch with Slee and he says Its a shot in the dark using LC springs. With custom springs it seems to be a shot it the dark as well. If the slee springs didn't work out I could always sell them, where I might have a hard time selling the custom springs. Im looking at Slee's SOF4RM 4" 300-500 lbs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eclipse179