80psi Tire Options - 35" or 37", 17" rims, 3PMS

hurricanejoel

I'm after a 35-inch or 37-inch by 17" tire with a 3-peak snowflake that will hold 80psi. I have Toyo AT3 tires on 20" rims now, but I want a smaller rim for more sidewall and improved offroad performance.

I have a Ram 3500 (crewcab, long bed) and a truck camper (1800lbs. dry), and I'd like a wheel/tire combo that can support the weight of the truck/camper/gear and still run 80psi. Most of the options I have found are either 50 or 65psi.

Those with 1-ton and camper setups, what tire/wheel are you running?

-jh
Squamish, BC

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
We run Toyo (AT2) LT285/75R18's specifically for the load rating.
We typically scale between 11,000 and 12,000 lbs.

@ 80PSI they are rated at 4080lbs per tire.

Roughly 35k on them now, doing a 5-tire rotation. No doubt we will get 50k on them, provided I put up with some reduced winter traction.

53357536312_0bbb99c39d_b.jpg

csj

The 37" Yokohamas I currently run on my ram 2500 with FWC are 65 max and I feel this is too much for most driving, even on the highway. 85psi on this size tire is unnecessarily high there are tires that take the load at lower pressures. Just ignore the idiot light on the dash and ignore the ride.
Bonus points: do the chalk test for optimum psi.

rruff

Explorer
Most of the options I have found are either 50 or 65psi.
Why do you want 80 psi? High pressure isn't going to do anything for you.

My tires, 325/65r18 (35x13) are rate for 3900 lb at 65 psi, and that's about double the weight any are carrying. I have them at 38psi on the highway.

FAW3

Adventurer
I respectfully think your focusing on the wrong variable (inflation PSI) over tire size, weight rating and tread type.

Suggest starting with scaling your rig loaded for real world use. Choose a tire where your actual loaded weight is no more than 90% of the tire weight rating. Based on the actual weight, inflate to the makers inflation chart for normal on pavement use.

My example: a '05 Ram 3500; FWC Hawk; Alum. flatbed with boxes. Loaded for overlanding scales at 10K with 6K on the rear and 4K on the front. Running BFG KO2's sized 35x12.5 on 17" wheels.

BFG KO2 tire weight ratings based on inflation:

Tire Size25 psi30 psi35 psi40 psi45 psi50 psi55 psi60 psi65 psi70 psi75 psi80 psi
35x12.50R171875 lbs2155 lbs2405 lbs2625 lbs2840 lbs3000 lbs3065 lbs3130 lbs3195 lbs

My on pavement and on gravel/dirt (typical National Forest graded gravel roads) I remain at street pressure which for my rig I run as 45 on the front/55 on the rear. On rougher rocky tracks where I'm typically under 15 MPH I deflate to 35/40. On sand 25/30.

hurricanejoel

I think the new Mickey T Baja Boss fits those requirements. I'll check mine when I get outside.
The new Baja Boss AT is the exact tire I want, just worried that at 50psi and/or 65psi depending on the tire it'll wallow more than I'd like on the road and won't allow me to air down more than a few psi.

hurricanejoel

We run Toyo (AT2) LT285/75R18's specifically for the load rating.
We typically scale between 11,000 and 12,000 lbs.

@ 80PSI they are rated at 4080lbs per tire.

Roughly 35k on them now, doing a 5-tire rotation. No doubt we will get 50k on them, provided I put up with some reduced winter traction.

53357536312_0bbb99c39d_b.jpg
Exactly why I went with the AT3.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
I respectfully think your focusing on the wrong variable (inflation PSI) over tire size, weight rating and tread type.

While I don't disagree, I should point out that its not that simple when running heavy.

For the same load rating, a higher PSI tire is typically narrower and typically has a heavier sidewall.
That heavier sidewall and running higher PSI results in a more stable tire.

hurricanejoel

While I don't disagree, I should point out that its not that simple when running heavy.

For the same load rating, a higher PSI tire is typically narrower and typically has a heavier sidewall.
That's exactly why I want a tire that'll hold 80psi. Looking more and more like an 18" Method and a Wildpeak AT3W.

rruff

Explorer
I don't think the sidewall is typically any heavier, but the narrower the tire is the higher the PSI for a given load rating. This is because a narrower tire of the same diameter will naturally sink more at a given psi and weight, and the sidewall distortion is the main thing generating heat and limiting load rating.

My tires are on the high end of the width spectrum and I haven't noticed any issues with stability. It handles switchbacks very well. I don't have 12k lbs of weight on them, but I also have the psi appropriately low.

I'd have zero qualms about running big tires that are rated for 50 psi so long as the load rating exceeded what I was carrying.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Yeah, sorry for the confusion. With the myriad of floatation tires it gets a bit wild. What I was referring to was larger, load D’s that many are running that have similar max ratings at 65psi.

Going down the rabbit hole, we also have the Load E1 and E2 rated tires, with the E2’s being the floatation type tire with a max of 65psi, and high load rating. These likely have similar or same sidewalls, but with additional air volume require less psi for the high rating.

watrboy

Observer
I have run the AT3 now for almost 30K and use LT295/70-18. They measure almost 34 inches of height and have pulled many heavy trailers with construction debris and skid steers. Very happy with them and runn55 front with 65 rear unless 4 wheeling , then 35 psi.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998