'82 Mercedes 300GD Camper (in the US)

TTaM

Found this online this morning. Looks like a clean truck

http://grautogallery.com/vehicles/1934/1982-Mercedes-Benz-GD300-Camper

63425_98b5e04e78_low_res.jpg

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
Wow.

I really like parts of that, but the floorplan bugs me a bit. Seems a shame that something that large wouldn't really accommodate 3 or 4 people easily. I'm sure you could "seat" someone on the front dinette, and sleep them there as well, but you'll be climbing over them from the upper bunk if you need to hit the loo in the middle of the night. (My same complaint about all front-dinette layouts).

A side-dinette or better yet rear would have made me very happy...

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
Seems like a very nice deal on a diesel G-wagon with low miles. A bit too big for me if used for just 2 people - but perhaps for use going somewhere like alaska or the southwest where tree branches are not as much of an issue...

SSF556

SE Expedition Society
Wow.

I really like parts of that, but the floorplan bugs me a bit. Seems a shame that something that large wouldn't really accommodate 3 or 4 people easily. I'm sure you could "seat" someone on the front dinette, and sleep them there as well, but you'll be climbing over them from the upper bunk if you need to hit the loo in the middle of the night. (My same complaint about all front-dinette layouts).

A side-dinette or better yet rear would have made me very happy...

I agree....and entering the bathroom to get to the house does not make sense...

ssr

This vehicle looks familiar. Haven't we seen this listed for sale within the last year? Perhaps it didn't sell the first time around. It certainly has low miles for an '82.

I agree....and entering the bathroom to get to the house does not make sense...

If that door was not there in the bathroom, there's nothing else that would be on that wall. If that door was in the kitchen, you'd lose two feet of counter space. Makes perfect sense right where it is. This is a tiny RV.

Keyne

Adventurer
I think the layout makes a lot of sense with the head where it is. Using the entrance for the head IMO is the best use of that space that doesnt get used that often. I just wish this were a popup design so the overall height would be lower.

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
I think the layout makes a lot of sense with the head where it is. Using the entrance for the head IMO is the best use of that space that doesn't get used that often.
:iagree:

As John Speed argues compellingly in Travel Vans, you should do anything you can to avoid having dedicated space for the toilet/shower facilities. Your talking about an area that isn't used one-twentieth of the time. To dedicate space in a small camper exclusively to the facilities is profligate given all the other things you could do with the space.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator

As John Speed argues compellingly in Travel Vans, you should do anything you can to avoid having dedicated space for the toilet/shower facilities. Your talking about an area that isn't used one-twentieth of the time. To dedicate space in a small camper exclusively to the facilities is profligate given all the other things you could do with the space.

Yeah, I agree with that principal, and I'm not bothered by the location of the head, relative to the door. My main concern is with the layout that puts the lower "dinette" bunk between the upper bunk and stuff like the door or the head. One of the luxuries of an indoor head is not having to wake everyone else up to dress or exit vehicle for a midnight pee, but someone in the upper bunk climbing over the lower bunk negates that strength. The other niggle is that the side-facing dinette seating isn't ideal for long-term use by 3rd/4th travelers.

There are a number of ways around it - heck we even manage it while sleeping 3 people in two bunks in an Astro "mini" van (though we're all family, and our arrangement is about as cozy as would be feasible). Westy-style layouts solve the problem, but are hard unless you have the interior length to have living space past the end of the lower bed.

The problem with so many wagon-based floorplans is that so many are built around a 2-traveler layout. which is fine until you need to have a third.

The other nice solution I've seen is the new FWC "UTE" models with a cab-over at one end, a dinette/bunk at the other, and the stow-able cassette near the side-entry door in the middle, but this trades off against having to use a crew- or extended-cab truck for the 3rd/4th passengers which just moves "wasted space" to the truck cabin since that area is really only for seating while driving.

yabanja

Explorer
Horsepower

So a little research on Wikipeda turned up: 300GD Mercedes inline 5 cylinder diesel 88 horsepower and 126 ft lb of torque. With the frontal area on this thing I would guess it won't top 50 mph.

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
Entering onto the shower pan keeps the mud and dirt out of the camper. You could shed your muddy boots right inside the door and rinse the dirt down the drain.

zimm

Expedition Leader

it depends on your needs. the 15 minutes i spend on a crapper, is often the best 15 minutes of my day.

and i know plenty of women the would be happy if the entire flat living space of a 10' slide in was dedicated to 2 sinks and an 8' mirror.

if youre using a camper correctly, you arnt spending more than an hour a day conscious in it. so the 15 minutes on a can and showering in 1/10th the living space makes it mathematically the biggest bang for the buck, not to mention the time no longer wasted on outside toiletry setup.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78