83 flatbed expo/farm/get stuff done truck

rizal03

Hey guys I've learned so much from everyone on this site for my first gen tundra and I can't think y'all enough for all the knowledge around here.. Now it's on to this 1983 beauty. I plan on a mild build with function above all else. First is freshen up all four corners with OME kit. I'm seeking advice on the medium kit vs the heavy? With flatbed and armor should I go with he heavys? So far I've just done the basics , fluids, tires/rims, tuneup. This truck does need some tlc and I'm really looking forward to getting into this one

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    551.5 KB · Views: 33
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    568.7 KB · Views: 37
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    564.7 KB · Views: 33
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    565.6 KB · Views: 35

tonkaman

Adventurer
I really like that flatbed, Looks great! Go heavy if you actually plan to use the truck for utility purposes otherwise it will be too soft

WU7X

Snow on the Roof
Have you thought of calling ARB for their advice? I would have an idea of the weight of the original box versus the new flatbed and any weight changes you've done to the front end. My guess would be medium in front and heavy in back. If you just go to heavy all the way around without first figuring out what you are going to carry on that beauty you'll end up with something that drives like a tank. Just my $0.02.

I recently built a 1985 Toyota truck using OME leafs and it too was a flatbed work truck. We used the regular leafs in front (plus 1.5" lift) and the medium springs in the rear (also plus 1.5"). We also installed a IFS rear axle for added width and the larger tubes.

The flatbed I built was rather light, at about 500 pounds, and on top of the bed, I put my Polaris 700 quad to see how the springs handled the weight. With that much weight in the rear, the truck sagged to about 2" lower than the front. The feel was as predicted...soft. We will probably upgrade to the heavy springs in the rear.

So if plan to use it for carrying 1000 lbs, go heavy. But you should remember, that's a small tube skinny Toyota axle under the back of that truck. They do bend.

rizal03

Thanks a lot for the replies and insight fellas. I'm getting the feeling it might be best to go with heavys in back and medium up front. This truck will frequently be loaded with lumber/steel/feed sacks etc.. Iam not going to abuse this truck but I want it to be capable to handle a load and still have some flex in the woods. Basically a solid and reliable little utilitarian truck for the farm and play with manners enough for the Tarmac

SFROMAN

Adventurer
I went with the medium but I have no real world experience since my truck is still under construction.
My truck is being built for overall use from daily driver to rubicon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan