83 K5 Blazer Expedition rig build up, Finally!

dbreid

Adventurer
I run a 4" lift on my 1989 3/4 ton Suburban, and I clear 37's easy. They rub a little when completely flexed, and I did minor trimming to the sheetmetal. My offroad truck is a 1984 K30, and that runs 40" tires with no rubbing on the same exact lift as the Suburban (shackle flip rear, and 4" springs in the front) but there is pretty major cutting.

biglos454

Adventurer
im back!

wow i cant believe ive been off of this site for so long! sorry everyone for just dissapearing but as im sure everyone knows and without going into detail, sometimes life happens, i had to forget about the K5, forums, etc for awhile but im back now and really looking forward to the build. i still have that 83 k5 but it sat for over a year and is now in serious need of a restoration to be a viable expo rig so its more of a parts truck now.

now i have this: its a 1989 k5 blazer, with a 350TBI/NP241/700R4/10 bolts/ 4inch lift/ 35in tires. it is in immaculate condition for a 24 year old vehicle, especially compared to the 83, and im way more comfortable with the TBI engine.

it is 99% rust free, the only rust on it is a few surface rust spots that i will clean up and seal before they get any worse. original paint, original interior and almost everything works on it. i found it on craiglist in the Houston area, got her for a good price.
current plan is to fix the few things that are wrong with it and then start the upgrades. fix the few surface rust spots, the tilt steering column needs to be taken apart and rebuilt ( very wobbly), the back glass doesnt roll up or down, the A/C blows but not cold, the head liner needs fabric and that's about the only things that need repair. everything else on it works. down to the gauges, lights, and door dingers.

interior is clean just needs a few things here and there.

work still keeps me busy but i work on it every chance i get. id like to have her at least ready for a small weekend trip to big bend or somewhere close like that by early next year. im sticking with 35in tires for now but the lift just comes from 4in rough riding lift springs, i might change up the style of lift later on. itll work for now though. once the little things are fixed, ill get the front winch bumper going and the snorkel will be high up on the list too.

biglos454

Adventurer
looks like the back window was a cable problem. i managed to rob parts from the 83 to get it fixed but the window track is rusted almost completely through and the glass is barely being held in place. ill be placing an order in with LMC for a new track and hardware. ill pull the tailgate apart and replace the track, seals, and grease up all the gears in the coming weeks so i don't have to worry about it anymore. the big plus of having it working is that the top can come off now! next weekend off if the weather holds up ill remove the top and do a little beach crusing.

access panel open:

whats left of the window glass track

while i was there i bypassed the safety switch that always goes out on these things. not a good job but itll do for now and ill solder it together when i take the tailgate apart and rebuild it all.

edlaffoon

Adventure Every Day
I normally prefer solid color trucks to the two tone but this one is really slick looking.

What are your plans for the drivetrain?

In my opinion you have a nearly perfect truck with the obvious exception of the ten bolt axles. I love the 241/700R4 combo and like you already said the 350 TBI is nice to have.

biglos454

Adventurer
yea i was surprised at how nice the original paint is for such an old truck. if i ever repaint it it'll probably end up solid white. the drive train is pretty solid, so ill leave most of it alone for now. 14 bolt and dana 60 are pretty high on the to do list, other than that ill stick with the tried n true tbi350 and 700/241 combo. when the day comes that the 350 gives up the ghost ill probably go with an LS swap. either 5.3 or 6.0 with a 4L80E but hopefully that's far into the future since I don't want the truck to have that kind of down time, I really enjoy driving this thing.

edlaffoon

Adventure Every Day
That is good to hear. I've often thought an 8.1 would sure be nice, but I love my little 350. I have a 14bsf in my truck with the factory D44 up front and I love that too, wouldn't trade it for any other combo (at least not in the truck I have now).

biglos454

Adventurer
That is good to hear. I've often thought an 8.1 would sure be nice, but I love my little 350. I have a 14bsf in my truck with the factory D44 up front and I love that too, wouldn't trade it for any other combo (at least not in the truck I have now).

an 8.1 would be very nice, real torque monsters, definitely something to consider if i ever go the Ls swap route. i wish my k5 would have come with that axle set up, i wouldn't bother changing out to the one tons. D44 and the 14SF are very stout and really shouldn't need much more than that. that is a very nice truck you have there btw. fully convertible 73-75 right? id love to restore one of those just to have as a daily driver

edlaffoon

Adventure Every Day
Yep mine is a '73. It came with a 12 bolt rear and NP203/TH350 combo and 3.73s. Now has 14bsf/208/700r4 combo with 4.11s and 35" BFGs. Perfect setup for what I do with it which is drive and some light wheeling/trail riding. She will do 90 on the highway without a second thought (soft top is loud as hell though lol)

If I had my way though I'd have another one, 76-79 model with all modern drivetrain: 6.0/NV4500/205-203 doubler/14BFF/D60. Run 37's on a 2.5" lift. Expedition Portal treatment to the interior and outside. That would be a killer rig.

You're off to a great start with yours and I'm glad to hear you are back at it.

EricM

Standard American Mutt
I have the exact same craftsman tool box. Obviously it is the smaller one on the shelves.

DSC08493.jpg

Yours:

Last edited:

biglos454

Adventurer
I have the exact same craftsman tool box. Obviously it is the smaller one on the shelves.

Yours:

lol that's actually the tool set that I keep in the toolbox of my daily driver. didn't feel like taking the blazer into the shop that day so just had that tool set out

jimi breeze

jimi breeze
I once had an '83 Blazer powered by a 6.2 diesel. That rig took me all over Kodiak Island 4 wheelin. I had 31" BFGs, no lift and skid plates galore. Very capable truck.

biglos454

Adventurer
yup they are definitely good reliable rigs and you can still get them for a decent price. currently mine isn't running properly. I have it narrowed down to an ignition problem, either ignition control module, pick up coil, or the distributor itself. hoping to get some time to work on it at the end of the week. have a camping trip coming up and I really want to take the k5.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears