83 K5 Blazer Expedition rig build up, Finally!

biglos454

Adventurer
hmmm a lot of options out there. ill have to do some more research as far as the lift goes to see what i go with. i got it registered, inspected, and insured today. going to start driving it to see if there are any kinks in it. next time im off from work im going to start ripping out the cruddy interior. after i fix the few cancer spots it has ill start rebuilding the interior. I want to start with the interior since thats where most of my time will be spent. the 3 hr drive home from San antonio was very hot. the bare floors have got to go. i need some heat shielding to make it more than a few hours without melting my boots.

etech

Observer
you can clear very large tires on a blazer with little lift, I did have to trim my fenders a bit, but I only have 2.5 inches of lift, Sway a way race shocks, and I run 39" BFG project race tires, and as you can see they tuck nicely. This is a 86 usmc CUCV.

Attachments

• cucv2.jpg
    cucv2.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 196
  • cucv3.jpg
    cucv3.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 221
  • cucv1.jpg
    cucv1.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 220

Balzer

Adventurer
The key to fitting big tires with minimal lift on these chevys is skinny wheels and proper backspacing.
I ran 38x12.50x16.5's SSTSL's on 8.25" wheels with only 3.25" backspacing with only 3" spring lift, I did have to trim the fenders but not much, also on the front I had to push the rear of the inner fender all the way to the body mount. The only place I rubbed was the top inside of the rear fenders at FULL stuff. However being that, that area is smooth it wasn't a problem. I will add that I personally think that 38's are the biggest you can go with 3" of lift. anything bigger an you would have to move the front axle forward or modify the front cab mount. I loved my blazer and I miss it Ill be watching this one good luck!

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
you can clear very large tires on a blazer with little lift, I did have to trim my fenders a bit, but I only have 2.5 inches of lift, Sway a way race shocks, and I run 39" BFG project race tires, and as you can see they tuck nicely. This is a 86 usmc CUCV.

LOVE IT!
PERFECT!

We need to see some more pictures of that thing! Start a thread and post LOTS of pictures.

etech

Observer
I am new here, so have been feeling out how to post. Im a Mechanical Engineer and I build off road race trucks, pre-runners, buggies and truggies. I bought this cucv to be a chase and support vehicle for our off road race team, as well as a camping vehicle for my self and my daughter. I like many of the posts here, and thought I could learn a lot. Currently Im stuck trying to build custom boxes in the back of it as well as trying to fit a almost 40" spare tires. Any suggestions would be very helpful, I will post some more pics soon.

78Bronco

Explorer

It will be interesting to see how long the ten bolts last with 39's:coffee:

biglos454

Adventurer
that is a very good looking blazer, but unless those 10 bolts are built i also wonder how much abuse they can take with that size tire on them.

bftank

Explorer
etech mentioned he was putting tons in it in another post. pretty slick looking ride etech would love to see you do your own thread about it.

any progress yet, or trips made, with your blazer biglos454?

Last edited:

etech

Observer
SO far ( knock on wood) the 10 bolts have held up, granted Im worried that they are the weak link in the system, but being a cucv, it has a 6.2 diesel, which is not exactly a power horse, and I do not take this rock crawling, this is a desert trail, and chase truck for our race team, and I take it easy with it. It see's gravel roads, slow woop sections, silt beds and sand, with a little more sand.

I am currently building a 14 bolt for the rear and I have a 44 8 lug for the front, ( which is not much better) but the plan is to do a 60 for the front. Being a military truck it is totally striped, so there is not too much weight.

What I am looking for is any good ideas for storage as well as how durable the roof top fiberglass housing tents are. low profile is a goal to help with mileage, I know that 39" tires and low profile along with mileage are words that are strangers in the same sentence unless talking about what can not be done. but as is I get 13 to 20+ mpg with it now.

at first I wanted to run 37" tires, but I decided on the 39" tires as that what our race truck uses and we get them for a good price, we use take off's from the race truck. I also have to run BFG tires due to the fact were sponsored by bfg, and I work bfg pit services so Military goodyears are not a option for me )o;@

Id like to keep the spare tire in the cab, but a 39" tire takes most all the room so most likely I'll have to go to a swing out tire carrier, which once I accept the notion of the idea, then it will be a good place for other items, I just want to keep most of my gear secured inside the cab, so as to keep it from walking away in baja while parked for contingency or a dinner at a taco place.

I also would like to be able sleep 2 guys in it while were pitting the baja races. I'm planning a water tank for 2 uses, 1st will be water injection for the diesel once I install my Banks turbo kit, and the other is to wash our hands and clean up ( maybe shower ect.) with at races or while camping. I need to develop a 12 vdc system from the 24vdc system it currently has. I also plan on doing a Air compressor, as Im toying with the idea of trying air suspension with 4 links front and rear. ( we shall see on this) I have a a couple inverters for 110vac sources. a full set of gauges, Lowrance HDS gps, a Icom ham radio, and a Motorola VHF radio.

I also got a air conditioner from another GM truck that Im thinking about installing. I have a stereo and need to incorporate this into the storage bins as well. Along with tool bags, impact guns, chargers, lights, oils and fluids as well as a fridge/ice chest recovery gear, and most other items that we would require at a baja race, and also planning on another fuel tank. I would like to carry somewhere from 60 to 100 gallons of diesel.

These are my goals,and its a hard goal to reach, ( I know I should have gotten a sub I could easily fit it all it a sub) and this seems to me like this is the place that I can get the info needed to reach these goals, so any ideas I'm always open. I know I should start my own thread as not to post my info on someone's build but I think my goals and this build are similar. I don't see to many cucv's or K5's so Im hoping any one here with ideas can help. thanks.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Etech,

Copy your last post and some pics into a new thread, that would be a GREAT start. I'll post up some thoughts and ideas in it once you get it it up.

Scott Brady

Founder
I like the idea of a K5 expedition truck. I knew a gentleman who drove one all the way to Brazil in the early 80s. Keep up the good work.

dd76522

to the op, the 52's up front are a great choice, i've got an 85 k10 with diy4x's b52s and the stock half ton rears up front and it rides awesome, so much better than my dodge or most lifted leaf spring trucks i've ridden in
as far as the flex goes, you don't have to use it all, bumpstops and limit straps are cheap and keep it in a range you're happy with

Outback

Explorer
If your going to be keeping this rig then you should make sure to do all the little things no one will see but will make it much more reliable. O.R.D. sells a bolt on and a weld on steering box frame reinforcement plates. If your frame is already cracked around the steering box (which it will be if its seen any medium off road use) then have it welded up. Then weld on the ORD plate and then install the "bolt" on one. Its almost a bolt on part. You need to drill out one hole. That fixes that very common problem. I dont think you need to or even want to fully box your frame. You will loose allot of flex. O.R.D. sell complete suspension system from 2" to 4". I wouldnt be afraid to go with a 4" lift if you really need it. It all depends on what you will actually be using your rig for. If your just Overlanding then a 2" would be just fine. Remember, the bigger the tires the taller your final drive will be. As you go up in tire sizes then you would really need to lower your gear ratio (numerically higher). This can get expensive in a hurry! I cannot see you needing anything bigger than a 35" tall tire at the MOST. 33" on an Overlanding rig is plenty. The exception is if you retracing an old lost WWII road up in Canada. In that case you would need a special built rig for that particular trail. Most of us dream of doing stuff like that but very few of us will ever do anything like that. 33" would be fine. The choice of course is yours. If you decide to go with the ORD lifts spend the few extra bucks and get there greasable bushings. These really help you flex out. These were designed for rock crawling but work equally as well on the less traveled trail. Also there shackle reversle kit is extremely well built and looks like something you would find on a tank! They really know how to design a lift kit. If you go with a winch get the heavy duty front leaf packs. If your running a diesel also get the HD springs. Im about ready to build my M1028 (1-1/4 ton Chevy K30) I ordered the 4" kit with all the bells and whistles. This is a special built vehicle for one trail. I will be running 37" tires (with a bit of trimming). I love ORD lifts. Another thing about there kits is that you can upgrade the lift as you see fit. You can install there basic kit and add the better components like Greasable bushing later if you cant afford them now. Good Luck and keep us posted. I hope this helps a bit.

dieselndixie

after lift k5 2.jpgafter lift k5 3.jpgafter lift k5.jpgIf I can add anything to this...it would be not to get too carried away. IF thats at all possible. Reason I say that...I originally got my K5 for camping and towing my dirtbikes to go ride.

Got on the forums and somehow ended up with a big off roader...and I feel like I sacrificed some of my road worthiness and travel ability. After the axle swap and 4" lift (which gave me 6") I needed taller bumpstops, fender trim, new rear driveshaft CV style with slip yoke eliminator. Had to go with true duals so my front driveshaft wouldnt hit the Y pipe....all sorts of other crap that showed its head as the lift went on. I still love my project, but I wish I had kept it a bit more mild and it would have been better on road. Just my opinion....either way keep posting and pics! we k5 guys need all the help we can get.

That being said....the 37s are awesome, and she is huge now. More tough.

89 k5 350tbi
700r4 241 (SYE and CV shaft are a must now and are coming)
4" lift springs all around with gas shocks
swapped in a 14bff axle with detroit locker in rear, dana 44 front
37" military hmmv tires
LOTS more fendering trimming coming
Sprayed bedliner interior.
all sorts of other stuff.....

matt s

Explorer
Granted they changed them a little bit going to the square body, but not much. Mine is 2.5 lift on 33's and I am certain I could get 35's in there no problem. I lot of guys run 33's no lift in these just with narrow tires.

959994598_uz4QX-L.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears