83 Landcruiser - questions

escadventure

Adventurer
I found a 83 Landcruiser for sale I'm considering to buy. I'm no expert on LC's.

The owner is calling it a BJ45. Searches I've done in the internet tell me it looks like what is usually called a HJ45 wagon or FJ45. It has the extended and enclosed cabin. With the pop up roof. Deisel, I think 3B engine. Almost 100% restored to new condition. "almost" meaning the engine bay/engine is a bit less than like new clean.
I could probably pick it up for 25k euro. That seems a bit high but as I said, I'm no expert on the old LC's.

Any words info or words of advice?

thanks

Expedition Leader
I found a 83 Landcruiser for sale I'm considering to buy. I'm no expert on LC's.

The owner is calling it a BJ45. Searches I've done in the internet tell me it looks like what is usually called a HJ45 wagon or FJ45. It has the extended and enclosed cabin. With the pop up roof. Deisel, I think 3B engine. Almost 100% restored to new condition. "almost" meaning the engine bay/engine is a bit less than like new clean.
I could probably pick it up for 25k euro. That seems a bit high but as I said, I'm no expert on the old LC's.

Any words info or words of advice?

thanks

If it has a B engine, it is a BJ45. It would have to have the 6-cylinder H engine to be an HJ45, and it would have to have the 6-cylinder 2F petrol engine to be an FJ45.

Read this article several times over before you go inspect it: http://forum.ih8mud.com/40-55-series-tech/132481-buying-land-cruiser.html It is geared more towards U.S.-spec FJ40's, but will still give you a lot of things to look for and consider on any 40-series.

Good luck; 25K Euros is a lot of money for even a nice BJ45 in my book but I don't know what the market is like in Germany.

Ghostdog

Observer
Sorry to get off topic, but wanted to say "Thanks" for posting the pre-purchase thoughts and checklist. This sort of thing tends to be an emotional buy (which it probably should be, otherwise we'd all just drive Camrys), but this list can save potential buyers a lot of headache. I know it is from another forum, but any chance of making it a sticky?

escadventure

Adventurer
Thanks 1911, I might make a bullit list from that link and take it with me to have another look at the truck. I had a brief look at it and it appears to be in such good condition, I think it's gonna come to a matter of a realistic price.
The body is completely restored, including the popup roof.

The market in Germany? Everything is more expensive here. Except LR Defenders. One of the few unfortunate side-affects of being an expat here.

Ghost, you're right. When you see a truck like this it's hard to not buy just because it looks so good- exactly like you want it to look.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears

Members online