84 d-90 problem?

hey guys it may be a simple question but i notice on my 90 the other day that the drivers side(RHD) taillight was out. but the brake like works so i got a new bulb and replaced it and it still isnt working. no i checked All the fuses and they are all fine so should i replace the assembly? because they are only 12$ or could it be a wire leading to the tail light? if so where would those wires be. sorry if these are stupid questions again i am new to my 90 and i am still learning :ylsmoke:
Thanks

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
Before buying a new assembly unplug the wires from it and see if you're getting 12v at the harness. If you aren't, run a jumper from the battery negative and try again, it might be a bad ground.

DividingCreek

Explorer
do you have access to a meter to make sure the fixture is the issue ? The connectors rover used on these early trucks tend to get corrosion and often cleaning up the connectors and coating everything with dielectric grease is all thats needed

thank you guys, i just bought the whole new assembly anyway because my lenses was cracked but i will install it once i get it which should be tomorrow and than i will let you know how it works. Thanks!

Series1Rangie

Adventurer
While you have the old assembly out, double check the grounds. On the 90 they go down to the rear crossmember and have a crappy connection. I would probably remove the ground, clean the metal, and reattach with a bolt and nut. It is 15 min that will save you much heartache later. I did say the original connection there is crappy right?

Cheers,

Mike and Myles

ok welp, i installed the new assembly and cleaned the connections in it. BUT i could not find the ground so it is either in a good hiding spot, its not there and somewhere else, or i am a complete idiot. so could someone please pin point where that ground is? because i looked under and the drivers side lume of wires goes to the passengers side and than go into a huge electrical tape clusterFU%K of wires that goes into the frame.....please help!

crusader

Adventurer
The rear lamp ground is what the black wire from the lamp assembly plugs into in the rear corner of the tub. If it's like older rovers, that thingy that it's plugged into is attached to the aluminum rear tub which is attached to the chassis, which is attached to....blah, blah, blah...
As a side note, if the brake light was working OK in that assembly but the tail light wasn't, then your the assembly is properly grounded (there's only 3 wires--a green with purple tracer for the stop filament, a red wire to the tail light filament and a black ground wire COMMON TO BOTH CIRCUITS).
If the other (left-hand) tail light works, the most likely cause is a bad contact where the red wire plugs into the other red wires. The only other thing it could be is a bad lamp assembly, which you've replaced.

Last edited:

crusader

Adventurer
Don't worry about the ground--It's fine. Just plug the 3 wires into the places you unplugged the 3 old light assembly wires and you should be OK. I'd recommend working those new bullet connectors into and out of their sockets several times to get a proper electraical contact.

well that is what i did, i pushed them in and out and a few times and still nothing. so that is the only thing i can think of? it would have to be a ground or the red wires split or kinked or something right?

crusader

Adventurer
Hmm. I just want to verify that the opposite side works (brake and parking) and the brake light on the bad side works?

If so, it is some sort of issue with that lousy 4-way connector (see pic)--either broken inside or just corroded and not making contact with your new red wire. Or, the contact in the bottom of the bulb socket isn't making good contact or the bulb may be in backwards (difficult to do--the lugs are offset), or it is an incorrect bulb (should have 2 filaments and contacts on the bottom, not one). That's about all I can think that it could be.

4-way connector from the RovahFarm website:

RTC603.png

crusader

Adventurer
With the lights on, remove the red wire that comes out of the chassis rail from the 4-way connector and touch it to the end of the red wire to the new lamp assembly. The tail lamp should illuminate. If it does, the problem is in that lousy 4-way connector. Sometimes they break on the inside and it's hard to tell because of the rubber insulator

Dmljohnson

Observer
I had the same issue with mines.....clean it properly..remove those old screws..I had to drill mines out...i dont think there's any wire for ground....

Hmm. I just want to verify that the opposite side works (brake and parking) and the brake light on the bad side works?

If so, it is some sort of issue with that lousy 4-way connector (see pic)--either broken inside or just corroded and not making contact with your new red wire. Or, the contact in the bottom of the bulb socket isn't making good contact or the bulb may be in backwards (difficult to do--the lugs are offset), or it is an incorrect bulb (should have 2 filaments and contacts on the bottom, not one). That's about all I can think that it could be.

4-way connector from the RovahFarm website:

RTC603.png

my left side, drivers side(RHD) tail light(night time running light) does not turn on when i turn my lights on. brake light on the drivers side works fine. on the other side both running and brake lights both work fine. i am pretty sure the bulb is in the correct way it went in nice and smooth but i will double check. i will look into those four way connectors. and i am using an 1157 bulb which is what roversnorth told me to use.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears