Franken Rover Overlander

Mrk1

Adventurer
Ordered a bunch of parts to fix up the passenger door and some new shocks. Bought a new idle stepper motor and the thing snapped right in half when I installed it, Sanel's auto parts took it back no question and gave me a second. For the record I bought a motor for a '89 Astro van V6.

Also trying to work out a way to mount a brush guard, with the frame rails shortened I dont have many options, I just want to keep a deer out of the radiator.

Last edited:

Mrk1

Adventurer
Started making the front bumper, not going to be anything huge but there is a light hoop to come, making this out of what I have around the shop. When the time comes I will make it accommodate a winch. Most of it is MIG welded, TIG on the end plates to make it pretty.

photo1-4.jpg

Also Im going to covert the front end back to just the Series 3 lights and some aux lights

Removed the floor panels and tranny tunnel to clean up and just looked for rust.

photo2-9.jpg

LSD came in, kept the 4.75 gears

photo3-6.jpg

Last edited:

Mrk1

Adventurer
Cleaning up the interior,

photo1-5.jpg

New shocks, one rear mount was just hanging on, cracked welds. For the time being I welded it back up.

photo3-7.jpg

JSBriggs

Adventurer
Mud, gravel, or can get bent into the disc and rub. They don't really do anything useful, just get in the way and cause problems.

-Jeff

Mrk1

Adventurer
Managed to get the front shocks installed today, real pain. The shock towers were nasty rusty.

photo1-6.jpg

photo2-10.jpg

Drove around the industrial park a bit, not yet registered.

photo3-8.jpg

Right now it feels like driving a unloaded HD pickup truck, I kinda expected that since Im sure the series body weights nothing compared to the RRC. I will say beside the stiff ride the on road manors are much better. That does make me feel good about adding a spare carrier and a winch later on. My old Land Cruiser hated life with an ARB bumper. Didnt get to try out the flex yet. Also the true track feels great so far, truck turns now.

Still having a stalling problem, idle motor is new. Have to dig into that a bit more.

Last edited:

ZG

Busy Fly Fishing
Rugged shock towers! We got a new product at Rovers North to help with that issue!
http://www.roversnorth.com/p-20142-shock-tower-front-rrc-def-di-galv.aspx
PLS023G.jpg

Mrk1

Adventurer
^^^ I bought a tower kit from Rover parts, you can see them in the picture of the front suspension

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior