Franken Rover Overlander

Mrk1

Adventurer
Made the hoop for the bumper, used to be a main hoop for a roll cage. Now it will keep a deer out of the radiator.

photo-5.jpg

Still trying to figure out a spare tire carrier, the rear bumper is very short and I dont know how I feel about lifting a 35 on to the roof. Also Im thinking of adding a front 2" hitch as a recovery point and any of the millions of options.

Last edited:

Mrk1

Adventurer
Im thinking about what color to paint this thing, my options in no order

1. Re-do the blue, would be hardware store blue
2. Factory Arles blue
3. White
4. CT Sand Glow
5. Light grey with limestone top

Last edited:

Jitterbug

Adventurer
I have just been going through the 'what colour' decision. Had a play in photoshop and picked out a few that I thought looked the best, then i came accross a colour chart for the series 3 (mine is a '92 defender(ish)) and all the colours that looked good or 'right' in the computer mock up were all original land rover options.

LR139-11-80.75m-01.jpg

Mrk1

Adventurer
I'm all for using factory colors but being able to touch it up any time is nice too. That's why I like white, white is white as far as this truck is concerned.

I have a can of rusto navy blue and it looks super close to that pageant blue color sample.

Mrk1

Adventurer
Here is what I have picked, Royal Blue and Vintage White. A few more clear coats will end up muting the blue so it will probably end up more subtle

photo12-1.jpg

Mrk1

Adventurer
A buddy just told me he has a paint gun setup I can borrow, making me reconsider the rusto colors

Mrk1

Adventurer
to much time on this forum makes me want to "overland" my subaru, probably would be more of a prerunner with its +400hp

Nice Work

Nick work mate. In the UK these are known as Hybrids.... very common a few years ago but new legislation has meant that the cutting down of Rangie chassis to 88" is now a major pain in the ********.

I'm assuming you're chassis is cut and shut to 88" for the SWB Series body to fit?

Have fun....

Darren

Mrk1

Adventurer
^^^ my chassis is untouched, fender are cut to fit over the wheels. Its great because the longer wheelbase gives a better ride and now the approach and departure angles are next to nothing

ZG

Busy Fly Fishing
I'd personally remove those mudflaps, they'll just get caught and rip off if you're reversing down/up a hill.

Mrk1

Adventurer
the previous owner did say to take them off whenever off road but they are necessary while on the road

Dendy Jarrett

Expedition Portal Admin
Staff member
Looks great. If you reconsider, you might consider that "sand" color.
I have a friend that has a "built" Defender and he has that on his truck, white top, white wolf wheels.
It is a great combination!

Mrk1

Adventurer
Looks great. If you reconsider, you might consider that "sand" color.
I have a friend that has a "built" Defender and he has that on his truck, white top, white wolf wheels.
It is a great combination!

That is actually a strong possibility

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12