85 Chevy Flatbed

Zimnij Volk

Observer
That is was clandr1.

4BT, I wish! Sadly it's not in my budget... Unless I found one close by that needed to be rebuilt or something, and then again, no place to do it.

Found a local J code on Craigslist that needs new glow plugs, but may be a good place to start.

fabjunkie

Observer
That is was clandr1.

4BT, I wish! Sadly it's not in my budget... Unless I found one close by that needed to be rebuilt or something, and then again, no place to do it.

Found a local J code on Craigslist that needs new glow plugs, but may be a good place to start.

That sucks man! 6BT's can actually be done cheaper than a 4BT. Check out the build thread section on CK5, there's a handful of Cummins swapped trucks on there right now (including mine). You do need a place to work on it though.

Since you're not sure what to do with that flatbed, you could sell it to help fund a swap....just a thought. If you go that route, get a whole Dodge. You can pick the whole truck up for the same price as just the motor most times.

Zimnij Volk

Observer
I was referring to 4BT here on the forum, my bad for not being clear. However I was thinking of a Cummins swap later down the road in some CUCVs. (4BT in a M1009 Blazer, 6BT/NV4500 in a M1008) But that was WAY far off in the future.

I want to keep the flatbed, but I was thinking of what to do with it. I was thinking of something along the line of toolboxes lining the sides, a headache rack with a rack over the cab, and maybe a rack to go over the bed to place a tent above ground.

4637451_20.jpeg

0137e0c_20.jpeg

5Gd5F25H13Ge3Le3Hac2r1f04949c86451672.jpeg

5N55G45Me3Ga3Fd3Jac2r03299c49e70a135c.jpeg

Some combination between the two of those. First step is getting her back on the road again...

Zimnij Volk

Observer
Chilliwak;

I was just checking those out, actually. I have no idea how much shipping would be to get here, though. Obviously I can't go get it. :p

Oh, and just so you know, my name's actually Mike. I had an GMC S15 Jimmy a bit ago that I sold. :p

Yeah, 4BT, the flatbed needs some attention. I noticed the extra frame too, and kinda thought it was funny, but it seems strong enough for now. Not to mention welded on... Could definitely use some new decking I'd say. The boards on it are all warped and cut up. At least I have some experience there.

A 6.5 might be nice, but I'm not sure what else I'd need to make sure it fit. If anything.

Rot Box

Explorer
Sorry to hear about the thrown rod :( Boyce equipment here in Utah sells low mileage (50k/usually less if I remember right) 6.2's for around $900. http://www.boyceequipment.com/

How in love with the truck are you? Now might be the time to consider starting over with 4WD....

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
I think Rot is talking about a different truck. I would tend to agree. Bummer how this one has turned out for you!

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Mike, go to the auctions for used army surplus and you could get a complete new truck for 1 to 2K dollars. Use the spare parts you can from the truck you have. I know its a downer to have to leave the truck you had your hopes and dreams in, but it might be a better way to go. Cheers, Chilli.:)

Rot Box

Explorer
I was thinking replacing the truck altogether because it sounded like you might be concerned with it not being 4wd--if you're not worried about it then by all means keep what you have its a neat little pickup. There was a time when you could get a running 4wd 6.2 for next to nothing in my neck of the woods... I looked through the classifieds this morning and quickly realized times have changed :Wow1: Looks like they still give the Fords away though--probably for good reason LOL! :coffeedrink: Best of luck,

Andrew

fabjunkie

Observer
I agree with the above. Since you've already thought about building a CUCV, that may be the way to go. Skip the M1009 and go straight for the M1008. You'll get all the stuff everyone upgrades to right off the bat and have a near bulletproof truck. Pull what you want off this truck and part out the rest. Even if you find a M1008 with a crappy body, you have a good one right there. A body swap could be done in a weekend if needed. You're mainly after the drive train anyway.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998