'86 4runner

CJSCustoms

So I have an 86 4runner that I would like to lift. I don't want to spend a lot of money and time converting to solid axle. I would like more ground clearance and still maintain the nice road ride that the independent suspension gives. All that said what's the best 4-6" lift to put on my 4runner???

JasonRedwood

Explorer
Blazeland Long travel is the most economic Long travel kit. Have yet to instal it on my truck but from the research I have done it is stout. No failures to date. Other research I have done has come to the conclusion that lifting the stock IFS only allows for larger tires and not necessarily better suspension. You can fit up to 33" tires under the stock suspension with some fender trimming but then you will need to spend money on re-gearing. 31" tires are good with the stock 4.10 gear ratio. 4.56 or 4.88 for 33"
What are you looking to do with your 4runner?

CJSCustoms

Just wanted a little better ground clearance. I like to go camping and run easy to medium trails.
Pic of my Runner as it sits now with 31s
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1342669644.453002.jpg

YotaPilot

Adventurer
If you are just using it for camping a easy to medium trails you should need anything more than a 3 in lift. Old Man Emu (OME) is a very economical and good quality suspension lift, although I'm not sure if they make it for the older 4runners. If you are looking for more adjustability, you can go with coilovers. There are tons of resources out there on suspension. Try TTORA's FAQ sections (http://www.ttora.com/wiki/index.php/Tacoma_Modification_Articles#Suspension). I know you don't have a Tacoma but the information is still relavent as to the different types of lifts you can do.

I have sent way too many hours researching suspension so if you have any more questions just ask.

Rot Box

Explorer
Realistically you are better off (and cheaper off) with a solid axle swap kit if you need 4-6" of lift. I really dislike the performance, quality and cost of the drop bracket lift kits. In my experience a solid front with name brand leaf spings will ride much better as well. I don't want to toot the sas horn any more than I have but I truly feel the torsion bar/idler/pitman arm ifs Toyota used during these years is best left alone unless you want to spend big money on a long travel kit.

That being said have you looked into ball joint spacers? They help the a-arms stay off of the bump stops and unlike just cranking the torsion bars up they retain the same amount of droop as a stock setup. Might be something to consider.

Andrew

And btw nice looking 4runner!

Owyhee H

Adventurer
No coil-overs on a torsion bar IFS.

OP. I would at least start by getting some rear springs (stiffer/taller). Even if you only lift the front slightly, rear srpings will get the belly up and the rear departure angle improoved.

Nice 4Runner BTW:)

JasonRedwood

Explorer
1.5" BJ Spacers, & thicker torsion bars in the front. Zuk mod in the rear with new shocks all around. Won't give you 4-6"s, but IMO it is the most bang for your buck if you are keeping the 31" tire size.

NorthernWoodsman

Adventurer/tinkerer
Here's my $0.02. I have a 94 Toyota pickup with IFS, pretty much exactly the same set up you have. For a cheap lift that netted me about 2 1/1-3" of lift I installed OME shocks front and rear. I also installed new leafs in the rear that gave me a little lift as well (OME makes rear leafs for your truck, but there are also many other options). On the front I installed Ball Joint spacers too. With this I am running 33x10.50x15 BFG A/T's no problem. There is a little rubbing on the front in a tight turn, but not bad at all. I have trimmed absolutely nothing with this set up. The ride is nice and my suspension isn't stressed with this setup.

In the future I plan to install 4.88's to compensate for the 33's and install new torsion bars as well.

InvisibleOne

OverANYlander
Leave it stock. Once you go down the road of suspention mods, you crawl into a rabbit hole that has no bottom. It starts with the lift , then the high steer, then the lockers, then transfer cases, then sliders, then, then, then you're spending your adventure fund on the rig and you never go anywhere. At least thats my story..

Rot Box

Explorer
Leave it stock. Once you go down the road of suspention mods, you crawl into a rabbit hole that has no bottom. It starts with the lift , then the high steer, then the lockers, then transfer cases, then sliders, then, then, then you're spending your adventure fund on the rig and you never go anywhere. At least thats my story..

This ^ I learned the hard way with my Toyota too :(

CJSCustoms

Good info. Thanks guys. So I've decided to keep the runner stock but my rear leaf springs are almost flat. Who makes a good leaf spring to replace the stock and is there a better option for shackles?

JasonRedwood

Explorer
Got to agree with the leave it stock option. Not sure about the springs in the back but I think OME makes a stock alternative. Look into the zuk mod. I believe you can find the springs between 20-40 dollars and it works great.

toyotech

Expedition Leader
for the best bang and budget lift. i would do Ball Joint Spacer up front. than find a set of 99 4runner rear coil springs and slip them in. after that, order a complete set of OME shocks. the rear is gonna be a tad higher so you can adjust the front torsion bar a little bit to even it out. if you want a little more travel, get some low profile compression bumps only. this is pretty much my old set up and heres a picture of it. i loved it but i have moved on to Long Travel

380733_2889277802362_649937441_n.jpg

200243_1629037497142_5382636_n.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears