87 Toyota Van 4x4

pmorin35

Have the chance to buy one of these vehicles for 800 bucks. The seller says it needs either a fusible link or an alternator to charge. I don't mind putting some time & money into this. Is this a good deal?

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
If the body's in good shape I'd jump on it. Those are very cool little vans. IIRC they had the same running gear as the 89-94 Hilux or 2nd gen 4runner, typically a 22r 4 cyl engine and a 5 speed with a 2 speed t-case.

borison

Adventurer
x3. Had a chance to buy a panel 4WD owned by a local TV station. KICK myself every time I see it around.

upcountry

Explorer
I have seen one of these endure years of serious abuse as a windsurf adventure wagon in my hometown on Maui. Miles and miles of pineapple and sugar plantation roads, numerous "safety" meetings, and gallons of salt water later it has some rust holes but keeps running despite attempts to kill it. Downside is it is hard to fit a bigger tire than a 30" without sheetmetal fab.

upcountry

Explorer
Also a little more challenging to wrench on but if you are patient or have ever worked on a van you already know what I am saying.

thefatkid

Observer
If the body's in good shape I'd jump on it. Those are very cool little vans. IIRC they had the same running gear as the 89-94 Hilux or 2nd gen 4runner, typically a 22r 4 cyl engine and a 5 speed with a 2 speed t-case.

The vans didn't share anything in common with the IFS pickups other then the Toyota name. They had the 3y or 4y engine. I don't remember the transmission family. The transfercase was a drivers drop. If it was a manual it had the 2 speed case, auto was just a single speed transfercase. Both front and rear differentials were closer to the 7.5" so it could share the same gears as an IFS front and 2wd rear. It is a unibody. The IFS is similar style of the pickup but has no matching parts. Steering is rack and pinion. Take care with what you do and what you throw away as parts are getting hard to source.

Even if it is so different from the pickup, i would buy one for a great camping rig. The man with no name is right, very cool machine. Try to find the parts to add the center console refrigerator if not already equipped. I have seen some guys get creative and build a bracket lift for the front end, not sure what they did to the knuckles.

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
The vans didn't share anything in common with the IFS pickups other then the Toyota name. They had the 3y or 4y engine. I don't remember the transmission family. The transfercase was a drivers drop. If it was a manual it had the 2 speed case, auto was just a single speed transfercase. Both front and rear differentials were closer to the 7.5" so it could share the same gears as an IFS front and 2wd rear. It is a unibody. The IFS is similar style of the pickup but has no matching parts. Steering is rack and pinion. Take care with what you do and what you throw away as parts are getting hard to source.

Great post, I thought there were commonalities but stand corrected.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Great post, I thought there were commonalities but stand corrected.

Yup, I made the same assumptions. :eek:

I think this was Toyota's first foray into the minivan field. I still see a few of them around.

The 80's were an interesting time for vehicle development. Lots of 4wd cars, too, like the Tercel 4wd wagon, the Nissan Stanza, the Honda Civic 4wd wagon, the Mitsubishi Expo LRV, and some funky little van/station wagon looking vehicles from Mitsubishi/Dodge.

pmorin35

Thanks for all the great info, everybody. The van is ugly as sin yet it appeals to me. Gonna take a look at it later this week. Out of curiosity, when you say parts are hard to come by, does that mean junkyard expeditions or is it still possible to get parts at an auto store. Thanks in advance.

thefatkid

Observer
Most parts are no longer in production for the OEM. So if you go into a Toyota dealer they will not stock parts for sure and might not be able to order them. The dealers might still be able to get some of the more common parts. As for aftermarket, I'm sure you can still get the parts to keep it running.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears