'89 GMC Suburban restoration/build up project.

dieselfuel

Adventurer
Nice work! Looks clean. What kind of fitting did you use on the fuel line stuff? It looks like a compression fitting on the rubber hose? I did not know that would work. I am asking because I am getting ready to add an aftermarket filter on my diesel and have been toying with different ideas on how to connect the existing fuel line to the new filter set up. Thanks!
it is a compression fitting, the two ends are different, one made for steel line, one made for the hard nylon fuel line. i found them at NAPA one day. i was expecting to pay a couple hundred dollars for adapters to go from an AN line to a push connect fuel line and have a steel braided line made. instead i found these and the nylon fuel line at NAPA and had everything done in no time.
i first saw the nylon fuel line and though, "no way" but after some research, all the automakers are using it now, so i might as well.

BBslider001

Diesel Head
Thanks for the info! I am not sure if I have to go that route, but now I know. I may just stick with the barbed brass fittings and blue diesel rated hose. Either way, yours looks clean and functional.

dieselfuel

Adventurer
i've been neglecting this thread, i'll post a decent update this weekend. my friend and i are in the process of replacing the whole chassis harness, building battery cables, and wiring in the new engine and dash. we might test fire the engine for the first time this weekend

dieselfuel

Adventurer
ok its been too long. ive gotten a bunch of parts in lately and started in on a few things.
the most recent parts order included a painless chassis wiring harness, 14" Bilstien 5100s, some other wiring goodies like ground straps and fan relays, exhaust parts to build the Y-pipe, a sheet of aluminum to build a fan shroud out of, a sheet of 1/2" delrin to build a skid plate out of, a Lokar floor shifter and a 1350 u-bolt style yoke for my 14bff.
B2CEEFE6-90E8-4926-AF01-0138E82BD386_zpslhoxqwod.jpg

CA2951FE-9682-4FAB-935C-72A051FD9BC0_zpsxfjev6dk.jpg

03FE6F05-B858-4589-83D4-6D410B1D82E7_zpsjv6n18a9.jpg

53787A61-B41C-4BE0-9B71-836411B361B3_zpsygndvwqz.jpg

2E33761C-FB49-4CC2-9F56-813D2FEDAD00_zpsmca74cdz.jpg

5E33FF00-20D2-4239-8FBF-B6AE3B687C21_zpso7lvgfwd.jpg

i got started on the exhaust. i have a new respect for guys who scratch build exhaust for a living. doing it laying on your back under the truck it's not as easy as i thought. it takes a long time to make any progress here as well, i cut the elbows and fit everything with masking tape, check fitment and if everything is right, take them to my friend's house where he tacks them up. if something is wrong i have to cut them apart, adjust, tape and go back to have them tacked again. i need a MIG welder so ************* bad! i might work more on this tomorrow, depending on how the wiring goes.
8983E809-777D-4986-AAA8-B3498244F3B6_zpsemxd7dqi.jpg

92C55280-3C24-4C4F-ACDD-F8E590F7AC1D_zpsmj8vtuti.jpg

845ECE55-0C69-4CA8-8554-D5485270266E_zpsksz9n5yb.jpg

68761890-272B-472B-BDC9-EE3C9D60D11D_zpsvcty20ho.jpg

i also started the chassis wiring, today i got the tail lights all done. tomorrow i'll work on the headlights and fuel pump/sending unit wiring.

while i was pulling the tail lights and the wiring i noticed that the light mounts were pretty dull looking so i cleaned them up and shot them with some silver RC car paint. that aught to make them a little brighter, haha!
before
0FF067C3-91C9-4C56-8FE9-2FDC8AFC4C3E_zpsfsrsxgfz.jpg

after
319A4530-CEA4-41EB-8625-5D8C48CC79CB_zpsvunjmhhm.jpg

more parts came in.
quzyhasu.jpg

zeme5yra.jpg

3u8egu5u.jpg

u4asu7av.jpg

I put 5gal in her and primed the fuel system, no leaks, filled the transfer case, transmission and both diffs. looks like there's a slight leak from the front diff cover, figures...

shifter installed.
2C5C1F08-88B2-44AA-ADBC-784E7C7F60C4_zps9owdvsvb.jpg

radiator installed, coolant temp sensor for the new gauge installed in the pass side cyl head and filed with coolant.
5C0A24D9-C431-4392-8E07-9AD07D19952D_zpss54gja2e.jpg

CC966079-6D51-4CC4-80D1-CB4C2B53E4C0_zpsc0heptpy.jpg

1350 u-bolt yokes installed front and rear.
4928564B-7008-48CC-92DF-837D01278F0D_zpspc4nalxl.jpg

all new lights/lenses on the front end.
10E9ED89-416B-4971-8199-F0EE02F92D1E_zpsfhigaizu.jpg

I welded up the Y-pipe, welding 16ga tubing with a millermatic 200 ain't easy. that old thing doesn't turn down enough to keep from burning through. had to tack and backstitch like crazy, took almost two hours to get it all done. just need to add O2 sensor bungs now.
2C902A2A-E96D-40BD-A87D-EEEA2F8B2DC6_zpsfx21alvz.jpg

also bought some battery cable. this weekend i'll make battery cables and my friend is gonna work on the dash some more.
76513FE6-F964-446A-B277-81C6349E49E7_zpskgh3a6ee.jpg

oh and all the new grille parts showed up. hardly any of it fits properly, chinese garbage.
C28770F7-5493-45E8-8B04-F00CC58EF37B_zpsioyuhb0n.jpg

dieselfuel

Adventurer
i've spent a lot of time working on Daisy. she doesn't look much different to show for it but we're making progress. i spent a lot of the weekend looming harnesses and figuring out placement/routing. i get discouraged from time to time, seeing other guys doing LS swaps that are running long before mine but i keep reminding myself that i'm doing a new dash and chassis harness as well. not just an engine swap. there's very little about the drivetrain that is stock.

current condition of the interior.
DSCN3181_zps2f7de45d.jpg

my friend Henri working on wiring in the dash.
DSCN3178_zps88c6ae69.jpg

i installed new rear speakers.
DSCN3195_zps935b8b5a.jpg

worked on this
DSCN3180_zps67d516c5.jpg

ran the oil pressure, coolant temp, a/c, and starter wires to their locations. that looped green wire sticking out there it for the a/c, i don't have the relocation kit for the compressor yet so that wire is gonna stay as is til i need it.
DSCN3186_zps3d71b26f.jpg

I picked up a new pass front caliper to replace the locked up one. more wiring products ordered, relays, fuse blocks, etc, there's more to this than i ever expected. battery cables are done, the positive cable will be clamped down across the bottom of the core support and through a 150a circuit breaker.
8C6F7CAA-BF97-4F11-8B47-AAB8A93A37DB_zpsuejxooou.jpg

3A8B6B82-F443-42B9-90AF-259E5B0ED174_zpshr13uqat.jpg

031F6862-B309-4236-8FF0-6D656744C87B_zpsdi43l4ob.jpg

O2 sensors are in, Y-pipe is installed. the pipes spread a little during welding so i wrapped a come-a-long around them and squeezed until everything fit, it bolts up perfectly now. you can see my oil pressure sender in the background, drilled and tapped the block off plate for it, super easy.

16E81FD9-3B71-45D3-8B01-2EC99B0131F5_zpsx8pywdql.jpg

out with the old, in with the new.
BB44E879-4EAA-47C0-86AB-731B29815201_zpsdsjxzq0v.jpg

saturday Henri came over and we got a lot of wiring done. fans are wired in with fuses and relays on the inner fender. the engine is all wired into the chassis harness and every connection on the truck is soldered so i don't have to worry about butt connectors or loose crimps coming apart. we laid out some more wiring under the dash and installed the HVAC ducts so i can put the dash pad on and install the instrument panel.
we got to a point where everything outside the cab was done and needed to start powering up circuits to check for issues. we found a couple problems so far. front marker lights aren't getting any power, i probably wired something up wrong when i installed everything. i turned the key and everything powered up but the starter exciter wire. we had power coming out of the switch on the column but nothing a the starter. we eventually found an unplugged wire that was the cause but in the process we accidentally started it and it scared the hell out of us, haha! Henri energized a wire under the hood while i was in the cab, he didn't know i had the key on and i didnt know he was gonna crank it. we ran it for a few seconds, enough to get a couple neighbor's attention and shut it off. the next time we fired it my wife got video and we ran it long enough to check for leaks. the only leak found was a pipe thread fitting on the transmission cooler, not bad considering everything that i've assembled on this truck.

here's a video of the second start where we let it run a few min.

that all brings up to today. the rest of the exhaust, a Lokar reverse light switch and a new fuel sending unit are all ordered. this week/weekend I'll be finishing up the wiring and reassembling the interior so next week i can weld up the exhaust and tow her to a local 4WD shop to have custom drivelines made.

txnight

Adventurer
Great work on everything. I'm just completing a chassis wiring job as well. It is tough and slower than I ever imagined.

Keep it up!

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Some real good progress there Diesel. Where did you get your new grill from since its chinese and does not fit well? I like your choice of new shocks. You will never regret buying Bilstein. It will be cool to see you fabricate your new skid plate. All in all a great build with nice craftmanship. Cheers, Chilli...:Wow1:

dieselfuel

Adventurer
Great work on everything. I'm just completing a chassis wiring job as well. It is tough and slower than I ever imagined.

Keep it up!

It sure is man.

Some real good progress there Diesel. Where did you get your new grill from since its chinese and does not fit well? I like your choice of new shocks. You will never regret buying Bilstein. It will be cool to see you fabricate your new skid plate. All in all a great build with nice craftmanship. Cheers, Chilli...:Wow1:

I got the grille from rockauto.com. I've never heard anything bad about bilstein shocks so I figured they were a safe bet. As soon as she's got drivelines (next week) I'll fab up the front shock mounts and skid plate. Then, new tires, bumpers, sliders, etc... It'll never end.

Renntag

Adventurer
Are you fabbing shock mounts to compensate for length or to relocate for another reason?

Very interested to see what you do.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

dieselfuel

Adventurer
Are you fabbing shock mounts to compensate for length or to relocate for another reason?

Very interested to see what you do.

Both, the new ones will stand the shock up more and mount it much higher, along with new lower mounts I should be able to run a 14" shock just fine. One day I intend to put custom Offroad Design sprigs on my suburban and I'll need the shock travel for them.

Renntag

Adventurer
Nice. Any idea what stock shock length is? I intend to increase suspension height for tire clearance and improve weight capacity up front to carry a 6BT. Good dampers will be on the list. Duals for the front.

dieselfuel

Adventurer
stock shock length? couldn't tell you. i haven't had an OEM length shock on this truck since 2001. i've been making progress and i am very close to driving her! most of the wiring is done, carpet is back in, shift boot is in and the exhaust is done. my brother came over and welded it all up yesterday morning. i think it sounds great. i took a video with my Nikon but cannot get it upload to anything, Facebook, youtube, photo bucket, nothing... i don't know a lot about computers, so it's kicking my ***. i can take video with my iphone but it won't sound as good which kinda defeats the purpose... i also went to the DMV yesterday to get license plates but couldn't. back in 2002 when my dad gave me the truck he signed the title in the wrong place, as a buyer instead of a seller. so i had to get a form for him to fill out and he's going to get it notarized at work tomorrow. i should have plates by the end of the week. i also bought a tow bar from Harbor Freight to tow her down to the driveline shop sometime this week.

DSCN3201_zps06ef52a4.jpg

DSCN3202_zps8a6e4b35.jpg

i didn't see a need to make it bend up really high, this clears the shocks and it should be out of the way of the spring plate. we'll see.
DSCN3203_zps4fadcbfb.jpg

DSCN3204_zpsb5474b14.jpg

DSCN3206_zpsb3aae7c5.jpg

this will do for now, i'll probably do something different for a tip when i build a bumper of some kind.
DSCN3207_zps332fbfcb.jpg

tucked up nice and tight, no rattles, no vibrations and the whole system is really solid. at the tip is only wiggles 1/2" or so.
DSCN3211_zps7d1312ca.jpg

Renntag

Adventurer
Nice work.
I love a tight exhaust. My burb has a chambered muffler and stock configuration like yours.

Why not exit out the side?

dieselfuel

Adventurer
Nice work.
I love a tight exhaust. My burb has a chambered muffler and stock configuration like yours.

Why not exit out the side?

Exiting out the pass side like the stock exhaust did would just mean more bends to buy and joints to weld. This was easy and effective.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12