9 Passenger Overland/Safari Vehicle for a Family Guy

scoutkid

Van Builder
I'm in, now I just have to talk to my wife.... Don't think she will go for it. If you think about it, it's not much different than this:

http://www.prefix.com/Trekker/

We keep coming back to the full size vans. I really like the E350, but can't stand the milage..It hits on the other side of not practical. We go to the to a river just about every weekend, so 3-4 hours up and 3-4 hours back. It's about $45-50 difference each week, and $300 each time we "run" out to Colorado or Utah for a 5 day trip. Even if we decide to go with it and try to make up the difference in gas by offsetting the payment ($20K van vs $40K sprinter) - using it in town as a quasi daily driver negates all benefits.

I guess that's why most people use their expo/adventure vehicles as that and try not to cross over into the everyday world- too expensive/not practical.

You know, I really appreciate your input. Good, bad, and down right crazy ideas are welcome!

You are complaining about it costing less than $35 PER PERSON to get them to Colorado or Utah? Your expectations sir, are unrealistic! My 7.3L Diesel (stock) E350 just got me 16+ MPG full loaded round trip from Denver to Moab. I was friggen THRILLED and it was just 2 of us!

Find the right van and you can be into it for $10-20K.

You load up that 'Burb with 9 people + gear and a trailer and kiss that sweet 20+ MPG goodbye! Not to mention that your performance up the hills will leave a lot to be desired.

A van hits 90% of your 'must haves', with your MPG requirement being unrealistic for the duty you are requiring - at least out of any large 4x4. Hate to break it to ya :)

If you can settle for something that will seat eight then maybe the new Honda Pilot would work. Like others have stated, your expectations are unrealistic. To seat 9 passengers and have a serious offroad rig that get 20+ mpg is not going to happen. The closest thing I can think of would be a suburban with a bolt-on SAS.

khronus79

Adventurer
I'll echo what others have said as far as the MPGs, no full size rig will give you 20+ MPGs once fully loaded. Your best bet is a Ford E350 15 pass van and a UJOINT 4x4 conversion or get a cargo E350 and modified the interior to your preferences.

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
I really cant see why you don't just get a first or second gen Cummins Dodge pick.up and build a custom build. You could easily make an access way between the main cab to whatever camper/canopy you have on the back. If you need inspiration on how to build your own camper then just look at my signature and follow the build. Cheers, Chilli.:ylsmoke:

78Bronco

Explorer
20MPG....ROTFLMAO

Weld three honda civics together and you can get your 20MPG. Diesel Excursion or Suburban will be the best option out of the box but I would look at a custom job to get everything you want. To start look at the coach builders in the yellow pages.

Ford Prefect

Expedition Leader
Not sure if it is mentioned above, but if you like the prefix you should check out a 4x4 ambulance such as the one in this thread. You could gut the thing and put the seats in just like you would like, install windows etc and you would have a nice truck going for you and likely within your budget.

well it is a thought anyhow.

Regards,

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
I think your requirements would be easy to meet - just replace the gas engine with a perpetual motion machine that runs on unicorn farts.

In all seriousness, 15mpg is pretty reasonable for something that can carry 9 people and all their gear.

Something to think about before you consider the likes of a converted ambulance or pickup: Every state in the US (AFAIK) requires every passenger to be seat belted in. If you build a vehicle without seatbelts (or without correctly anchored seatbelts) then if, God forbid, you should get into an accident and someone was injured, the insurance company might refuse to cover some of the costs on the grounds that the vehicle was not in compliance with the vehicle safety laws.

ktm360mx

Ford Perfect and Mark- thanks for the info. Fantastic suggestions. Hadn't considered the ambulance idea. We may look to that with my older kids in 3 years when we do our SA trip. Tim's site is great. Some really good possibilities there!

For the mean time, we purchased a 2010 lwb high roof sprinter. It gets 23-24MPG, and still gets the "your dreaming" 20/21 mpg on the highway with kayaks and looks to do about 18 or so with the trailer and dirt bikes ( only pulled once). We are doing a minor conversion to add 2 removable beds (double stacked in the rear), some cabinets by the ceiling, a small sink and MW, and awning on the side with a massive roof rack ourselves to keep the costs down. We can seat 10 and do what we want.

We will miss the 4x4, but as mentioned in the original posts, I just don't use it like we used to now that we live in the SE. We are keeping the sub, it's paid for- so it's available if we need it.

I appreciate most of the suggestions and your thoughts. Thank you for the warm welcome to the forum and hope to see you on the road.

Last edited:

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
Post some pictures of the vehicle with your family.
I think with the right exhaust and cold air intake you could tweek the milage numbers a little.
Good luck and safe travels!

Erik N

Adventurer
Hadn't considered the ambulance idea. We may look to that with my older kids in 3 years when we do our SA trip.

Might want to run the ambulance idea by your family first... my wife and kids won't even get in the one I work out of!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan