90 Dodge CTD build(pics)

pulltilbroke

Adventurer
Sure enough, bout 280 miles.

Well today the old 90 got 3 gallons of fresh CI rated oil along with a new Baldwin BT339 filter. I also put the new diff cover on and realized the fill plug is about an inch higher, Capacity is now 1 1/2 gallons in the rear.

dodgepics087.jpg

Thats a big ring gear
dodgepics086.jpg

dodgepics089.jpg

dodgepics088.jpg

pulltilbroke

Adventurer
No, This rear is out of a 97 dodge 2wd with a 5spd (All 5spd 3/4s and all drw Cummins and V10 trucks got the 80) The cover is however off the flavor of D80 you want.

bftank

Explorer
ok i thought it was for a ford because it had the speedo ring behind the gear. didn't realize they put that on dodges as well.

pulltilbroke

Adventurer
So today I decided to go out and have a little fun in the snow. We got a foot of wet heavy stuff last week. Anywho after a week of temps in the mid to upper 30s it had gotten a crust on it and was a SOB to get through. Well I got hung up in a drift(I didn't carry enough speed through it) so after a bit af spinnin and sawin on the wheel I decided to throw the chains on, But that didn't help with open diffs. So I tryed to torque lock everything up by applying a little brake pressure. That was a bad move with 700ft lbs of torque. I could feel all 4 start to bite then all of a sudden BANG!!!!, I heard something come unglued up front. I ended up exploding the Double cardin, I spose the little 3R could have went 1st but its hard to tell.

Anyway its all patched up now as I always have a spare shaft ready to go.

Carnage pics

dodgepics094.jpg

dodgepics096.jpg

stuck.jpg

stuck2.jpg

stuck3.jpg

I did find the rest of the U joint after this pic was taken, it was wedged between the tranny and the bracket for the t case shifter
dodgepics097.jpg

dodgepics098.jpg

lstzephyr

wanderer
Yep that is some carnage. You handled it quicker than I would. If I broke something it would take a couple months for me to get around to it! I'm impressed.

I know how much you like pics and I really liked looking at your k10 back a few pages. Would you mind putting up a few more pics to look at? Your photography is improving too, I'm enjoying your posts!

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Looks like that HAD to get fixed, or the truck was gonna sleep there! I love snow wheeling, but we get so much here, you can only go for the first couple of snows, and then you won't get ten feet off the plowed roads.

lstzephyr

wanderer
Good point, I guess in that case quick work is important! Either way, kudos on getting it taken care of.

Last edited:

pulltilbroke

Adventurer
Nah, the truck wasn't gonna sleep there. I was only 3 miles from the house and could have walked out and not been late for supper. I called a buddy and he came out and gave me a jerk. I did have to drive out in 2 wheel, but it wasn't bad as I was chained up and I kept my speed up with liberal amounts of throttle

I actually took it over to my buddys place and used his nice toasty wood heated shop. We fixed the front driveline, moved the hitch, fixed my tailgate hinge and swapped the other tires back on.

Istzephyr, you want more pics of my 60 or just more pics in general?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78