900 lumen maglite

jaco

Observer
New LED technology is pretty damn cool, some guys have figured out how to put a 900 lumen LED into a 3D maglite. There are a few parts to acquire and it's not cheap, but the results are nothing short of impressive. I built 2 of these and they will out power the headlights on my dodge with 3 standard D batteries. Also included is a low iron float glass coated lens which is not necessary, but makes for a clean finished product...

Here is the LED epoxied to the heatsink:

rndom016.jpg

Heatsink installed, a bit of soldering and cutting of the switch housing and reflector is required. The white ring is a thermal paste to help heat transfer into the housing of the light.

rndom021.jpg

2 finished

rndom027.jpg

rndom031.jpg

The light on the left is a 120 lumen novatac which I always thought was really bright, until now- P7 maglite on right...

novamag.jpg

I have had a lot of interest in these lights, I am thinking about ordering enough parts to build 10 lights and 10 DIY kits. The lights would cost roughly $110 shipped and the DIY kits would be $60. The hardest part about doing this to a Maglite is acquiring the parts, the heatsinks came directly from China and the LED's from India, taking about 4 weeks to get.

I'm curious how much interest there is in these lights, any input would be appreciated before I go spend a ton of money on parts...

I have also added a driver to the camo one which gets 5 modes with the factory switch, low medium high strobe and SOS. Output is lowered which could be fixed by running NiMh rechargable D cells, This would add about $20 to the overall cost (just the driver, not including the batteries).

If you are savvy and patient, you can search around and do this entirely on your own, search for Seoul P7 SSC LED maglite.

I could also take a 3D Maglite you have, custom, old or your favorite or whatever and do this modification for about $20 less than the listed cost...

Last edited:

DaveM

Explorer
I might be interested in the DIY kit, but I'd have to know more about whats involved in doing the conversion. Will you have instructions for the DIY, or a write up with some pics?

daniel3507

Observer
Im pretty much addicted to all things involving light so I am very interested in this. The $110 shipped price includes the flashlight itself?

Last edited:

jaco

Observer
I have a website and would post up pics and instructions, you basically need decent soldering skills, a dremel tool and some basic hand tools.

Yes, the $110 would include a new maglite.

Here is a link to a DIY instruction manual with 38 pictures

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=238641

You could do this yourself, acquiring the parts is the biggest pain. I was thinking I would sell a kit with the LED epoxied to the heatsink and include thermal grease, a UCL lens and the reqiured wire. Maybe even solder wire to the LED and make it so you just plug a connector to the wires you solder to your maglite. R&D for what people want here, lol

DaktariEd

2005, 2006 Tech Course Champion: Expedition Trophy
Hey, that's just crazy, Jake! :victory:
Very cool! :wings:
How much heat does it generate?

safari%20copy.gif

PS...I'm in for one...

Last edited:

skysix

Adventurer
I'd be most interested in the kit with the multimode driver - does it use a different switch? (my old maglight's switch is dodgy)

I would think that a kit sold with a printed set of instructions would sell well...

alexrex20

Explorer
i would for sure buy the $110 assembled flashlight, if i can't easily convert my LED MagLite to the new 900 lumen LED.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78