90's f450 good base for expedition build?

vdog98

Hello All--

I am looking to get back into the overland/adventure market after selling my 1989 Toyota 4x4 w/overland setup over a decade ago when I was up in the mountains of NH. I am partial to the older trucks for their rugged simplicity and reliability when properly maintained.

I have honestly never owned an American pickup before, so I am not partial to any brand in particular. I have found a 1996 ford f-superduty with the seemingly legendary 7.3 Powerstroke. The mileage is very low, it is a 5spd standard, and it looks like Quigley did the 4x4 conversions for these as they were not offered in the configuration from the factory. Seems like a special little gem if it's in decent shape. I would be looking to convert the dually rear tired to a super single and create what I think could be an excellent base for an expedition rig. Here is what the ad reads on craigslist:

I have here a 1996 Ford F Superduty F-450 with a Quigley 4x4 conversion. Ford Motor Co. did not make a F-450 in 96 but that is what they are referred to, they were a F Superduty series. They also did not offer 4x4 in any model above the F-350 until 1999 . Ford would have these sent to Quigley in Pennsylvania and have the 4x4 installed.
This truck has the 7.3 diesel with just over 57,000 miles and a 5 speed manual transmission, this runs excellent as it should with the mileage. The first time I drove it I was impressed with the way it rides, the truck is super smooth. No rattles , no wandering . Transmission and clutch are in excellent condition. There is no rust on the cab, super clean.
This was originally a dump bed, it was converted over to a flatbed. All the controls are still in the truck for the hoist.
I purchased this truck as I love the body style and to find one in this shape is rare and the fact that it has a Quigley conversion makes it even more unique. I was told the truck has never plowed and was rarely driven in the harsh winter. I have purchased all the service manuals for this truck and also purchased OEM Ford headlights and trim rings as the headlights are a little discolored from the sun.
I just had the rear brakes replaced with all new Ford OEM parts, new rotors, calipers and pads plus new brake lines and hoses. Also had two new Firestone tires put on the front.
I was going to put the stainless inserts on the wheels but kind of like the black look so I'll leave that to the new owner.
I am open to trades for a pickup or Hotrod of equal value, let me know what you have. The only reason why I am selling this is my insurance co. wanted $5,500 a year paid in full to insure it and that was just basic liability.I did not want to change insurance co but because of the year and condition of the truck I was able to insure it thru Hagerty for $379 a year and it is covered for $15,000. The only issue is I am not suppose to drive it regularly or put anything on the back of the bed. I need something I can drive as I would like.
Any questions or if you want to come look at it, contact me.
So as of 3/17 I have changed out the vinyl bench seat to a cloth split bench seat that is more comfortable and in fantastic shape.

The questions I have are, because I am not familiar with tinkering on this engine (or even with turbo diesel trucks in general), what should I really be looking for when I go to test drive this? I'd like to create a checklist before I head down there later this week to take a ride. I'll be able to handle the inspection of the chassis/cab (he does mention it was a dump so could have been a landscaper or potentially plow vehicle).

I haven't looked into examples yet of this year/type of truck on here as conversions, but I haven't been a member long. So I guess I'm also wondering if it makes sense to approach in the first place for an expedition rig? I'd be looking to fully build out a camper for it, possibly a custom subframe and all, to take it all over the northeast/canada/cross country in comfort.

Opinions and thoughts welcome. I'm meeting the owner this Friday to take a look at it. Thanks!

J

Attachments

• 00T0T_2C2UI1od848_1200x900.jpg
    00T0T_2C2UI1od848_1200x900.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 55
  • 00f0f_hh1b7PHF6II_600x450.jpg
    00f0f_hh1b7PHF6II_600x450.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 58
  • 00l0l_7CSYeMdqumH_1200x900.jpg
    00l0l_7CSYeMdqumH_1200x900.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 60
  • 00D0D_iJV1VzDZ1W9_600x450.jpg
    00D0D_iJV1VzDZ1W9_600x450.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 56

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
It's a cheap engine to rebuild anyways. Don't sweat it. Just keep money on hand for engine rebuild or clutch replacement.

You might have to un mount the flat bed a bit for wheeling. Sometimes people get carried away bolting those down.

That is an epic truck! My first concern would be height. I am 6’5” and cannot comfortably drive a single cab truck. After that I would just make sure the flat bed is mounted appropriately like mentioned above, check the body mounts and plan on buying some nice springs and shocks. I have an 88 f250 with a solid axle and it rises like a brick. My next purchase is some deaver springs and rebuildable shocks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sdemarcus

I love the obs Fords, the 7.3's along with the zf's are great combo's. For overlanding travels they meet the reliability, parts availability, simplicity (opinion), durability, and fuel consumption requirements. However, some issues I have with my 97 f250 with the 7.3 and zf5 are: glow plugs, glow plug relay, wire harness(in the cab, melted), fuse block (melted), clutch pedal popped off connection point under the dash in traffic, high pressure oil plugs on the heads, and the "normal" cost of maintenance they require. Now all that being said it's very easy to repair/replace those issues. I'm sure you are aware that the truck is going to be some degree of uncomfortable when off pavement traveling, but should improve with the added weight of a camper. Dual rear wheels present an issue by collecting objects in between the tires, causing flats or very angry cars behind you. I think the truck your looking at is a great foundation for overlanding just keep a good set of glow plugs in the engine, and extra relays for it in the spare parts box. Also don't forget to look at the fuse block and clutch connection.
I used a lock washer I had in the toolbox, and crimped it on with pliers... remember this happened in traffic at a light so I had to act quick. By the way it's been like this for over a year without issues.

vintageracer

To Infinity and Beyond!
From the pic angle it looks to be a short cab chassis. Will ride rough without weight over the rear wheels however this will be a good base from which to build a nice overland type of vehicle. Look at "Super Single" wheel/tires to replace the Budd type dually wheels/tires currently on the truck.

Not sure what the asking price is however I say go for it!

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Should be a solid platform.

Just don't expect it to ride very nice.

Thats going to be one stiff riding truck ;)

vdog98

Thanks for the responses! Very helpful tips. Will definitely do some looking around the pedals and check how the bed is mounted.

Luckily I'm only 6ft so interior space shouldn't be a problem. My old Toyota and Nissan pickups were all regular cab so I'm sure this is more spacious than those little rigs were. I'm definitely looking to hold on to some money up front for immediate maintenance needs and suspension upgrades. I made some calls and an old friend says he may still have a full engine rebuild kit/parts bin he's willing to sell me very cheap as he no longer has his 94. Hoping I can negotiate low enough with this guy to really build it out quickly if it does turn out to be in as good of shape as he is claiming.

He is currently asking 11k but seems very negotiable. I would love to be able to do a super single conversion, replace the bed with something like a Norweld, and upgrade the suspension a bit all in one shot if it is mechanically sound (y).

Stiff ride I can deal with as long as she is reliable and capable haha. I'm still pretty young and my lower back/tailbone are conditioned by years behind the wheels of box trucks with non-functioning air seats

Mundo4x4Casa

West slope, N. Ser. Nev.
First of all, what is the number on the front axle swap? Dana 60? Dana 70? Dana super 60? or other. And is it a 10 bolt hub with open outer U-joints? The newer Ford F450's have a very good turning radius, albeit with a very wade front axle track. The old style Ford front drive axle does not. My bro has a 4WD 1999 F-250/Diesel/6 speed manual/ extra cab long bed truck, that has a very wide turning radius. He must double or triple pump turns that my '01 4WD RAM/Cummins xtra cab short bed can do in one pop. What's the problem? Leaf springs spread wide and not allowing a full swing of wheels/tires on the kingpins. Yes, and the dualies have to go if you are expecting to go down some Jeep trail. There a few good super single wheels out there for the rear axle that loose about 8 inches of width back there. Mine were custom made by Stockton Wheel. Bomb proof. Rare pic w/o the camper:

Another thing is what I call the, "aftermarket axle swap dilema". Anytime you do a major axle swap, and I've done quite a few on Jeeps and trucks, here are 3 of my victims; The CJ-8 in front has a front 31 spline Dana 44/ARB/4.88's; and the rear is a 35 spline Dana 60/ARB/4.88's with H.D. springs-over springs,

it never turns out quite as good as a well thought out factory original. You can tweak the factory axle to make it more bullet proof, but the connections of the springs and pads and hangers and steering geometry and shocks and brakes on a factory job are just better. Unless you have a GURU/ARTIST of a mechanic/fabricator, like my brother John (JR on the Pirate Page. He won the first King of the Hammers). The best of those Ford IHC diesel engines were the 7.3's made between 1999 and early 2004. I would say condition is the major factor with your possible purchace. The rig looks to be in very good visual condition. There is some satisfaction having a one-off.
jefe

Last edited:

vdog98

Truck has sold before I could see it. Thanks for the advice all! I'll be keeping my eyes peeled for other candidates.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater