91 Bronco 2 vs 98 s10 jimmy

nutpantz

Observer
I have one of each.both need work, but then I always do unnecessary work to everything I buy. Which would you build up as a base expedition vehicle for north American adventure....?

91 bronco2 v6 standard 4x4 all pretty much stock with a good body and runs ok. 130000 miles
Vs
98 s10 Jimmy 4.3 v6 auto 4x4 all pretty much stock seems to run ok. 230000 kms

The Jimmy has the bigger motor, the bronco has a better wheel base.
Jimmy is a4 door, bronco is a 2 door.
bronco hubs,Jimmy is only auto shift 4x4.
Bronco is a standard Jimmy is an auto.
Bronco can be lifted 2 inch for 200$ Jimmy lift 2 inch 1000$.
Bronco can be engine upgraded cheap, Jimmy 4.3 is the gold standard in v6.(imo)
Jimmy is fantastic on pavement, Bronco is very capable off-road.
Bronco has more character, Jimmy is more refined.

One will become a project the other driven into the ground then sold for scrap.

I just can't decide which one to build as a moderate expedition vehicle. And pull a small trailer.

which one would you build? Why?

written in your mud with my stick

Last edited:

ihatemybike

Explorer
Jimmy hands down. Better engine, auto is usually better when crawling, better road manners, bigger aftermarket, OBD-2 for easier trouble diagnosis, will tow a trailer smoother.

blaz

Adventurer
I am digging my blazer still after 8 years. :smiley_drive:

Issues with the s-series include;

-weak idler arm
-Dexcool intake gasket/head gasket
-weak ball joints
-33" tires are MAX for the front diff. (solid axle swap is always an option)
-no aftermarket for bumpers, sliders etc.

Build thread is at the bottom.

digitaldelay

Explorer
Jimmy: No lift, keep the 235/75R15's on for drivetrain reliability. Fix any known problems, skip the "build" and start driving! :)

Jason

ihatemybike

Explorer
My quick research shows that 30 x 9.50 R15 fit with stock suspension. Personally I'd move to 16" rims and D or E rated tires.

nutpantz

Observer
I do love the Jimmy and s10 platform. I have had 5 over the years. I have owned only one ranger based vehicle before but never took it off road.
I like the suspension on the bronco 2 over the ifs on the s10. Or I'm maybe it's the newness that interests me.
The Jimmy is definitely better on pavement, and quite capable on rough gravel roads.
The Bronco 2 has more clearance and I expect more capable if the road is seriously deteriorated. But it's not the one I would want on a curvy mountain side highway.at least not at high speed.

I have also had 3 Chevys dump the auto transmission on me in the last 3 years with no warning. which makes me a bit gun shy about auto transmissions.

The Bronco 2 also has 410 gears.No idea on the Jimmy

written in your mud with my stick

Kenny Olson

Adventurer
There was NO 1991 Bronco II... Last year for the B2 was 1990. Ford Explorer was introduced in 1991. I`ve owned 3 Bronco IIs are they are a tough little truck. They do have their issues, but so does the jimmy. Go to http://www.therangerstation.com/ to get educated on the B2s and check out the tech library. It will have all specs you`ll need and a long list of what kind of mods can be done. I`ve never owned a jimmy but I like the 4.3 and the auto trans on those. Don`t care for the IFS and the vacuum disconnect front end. Just my 2 cents.

nutpantz

Observer
Yep it's a 1990 bronco.
I'm still on the fence, thinking of building the Jimmy with small lift but building the bronco for more off road travel.
Too many projects...so little money.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears