91 GMC Suburban build

trbon8r

Small update. The shop is doing some body work in anticipation of paint late next month. Some rust around the window channel, but typical for a 30+ year old truck.

I’m being told it’s one of the best trucks they’ve worked on in terms of how little rust it has. Finally some good news. D478F228-576F-4CFE-8765-24E07BBB8C55.jpeg1BC3D979-AB0B-462F-93D7-A192EDEE7A08.jpeg

trbon8r

Had a tough decision to make. After talking with Matt the shop owner I inquired how far we were away from just taking the body off and doing a full frame off restoration. Matt said we weren’t that far away.

I looked at some numbers and realized that with as far as we are going with this truck it would be a shame to not go all the way, so I went for it. Body is getting final prep and will be off to paint later this month and the frame goes to powder coating.

Next up comes a Dana 60 front axle we found out of a military CUCV pickup...... ?62F6F446-3FF2-40D4-A05B-40BCEF4388DD.jpeg

ExpoMike

Yeah.... I had that happen to me when I was building a '68 C10 truck. Front clip off, bed off, engine/trans out.... humm.... it's only 4 more bolts and the cab is off. LOL

Looking good!

trbon8r

Yeah.... I had that happen to me when I was building a '68 C10 truck. Front clip off, bed off, engine/trans out.... humm.... it's only 4 more bolts and the cab is off. LOL

Looking good!

So true Mike!!! That’s exactly how things happened. It would have been a shame to not go all the way at this point.

The bottom of the body is going to be rhino lined. All new body bushings. Should be as good as new if not better.

nitro_rat

Lunchbox Lockers
I see they ditched the factory AC. Vintage Air might keep you cool in there between an enclosed trailer and the Vegas Coliseum floor on a cool Vegas October morning for SEMA but you’ll be rolling down the windows for relief on a real summer day once the roof gets hot…

You need the factory front and rear AC boxes, a 4seasons S6 compressor, Ford blue orifice tube, and you can barely make the biggest parallel flow universal condenser that Vintage Air makes in the core support. Have a local shop rework your factory hose ends with barrier hose. Oh, and a big lo profile 14” pusher fan on the condenser. It’s the only way I’ve found to make a square body Suburban cool on 134a.

That Vintage Air Sure fit is clean looking but it’s barely adequate for a single cab on a hot day!

trbon8r

Haven‘t checked in for awhile and wanted to post a few updates. The frame came back from the powder coater and looks great!

The powder coating shop had to add on to his oven because he’d never done anything as big as a Suburban before. 😂

2B7A7742-1FA4-45BB-BDB2-F9F05ACC5818.jpeg

I also got the first pictures from the body shop. Still a long way to go but making progress. The roof is done along with the firewall, dash, and several small parts like the glove box.

It‘s a lot of surface area! I hope the paint shop doesn’t swear off painting Suburbans after this!

We managed to source a Dana 60 front axle out of an 86 Chevy M1008 CUCV. The Dana 60 and rear GM 14 bolt are at the axle shop getting rebuilt, re-geared, and filled with ARB air lockers. Hope to have pictures soon!

343A0BB6-81CB-45B2-BCB6-AC3286D34DD6.jpegE94C5CAE-86C2-4CEE-A1DE-723AA1210585.jpegA89C4467-146D-41B3-BDB3-3E644DCFA0E1.jpeg0D8E65E0-9AC8-4BA7-B5BB-9D7DB5948044.jpeg846E97C6-5515-4945-BA15-C84D5393644B.jpeg

CampStewart

Observer
What awesome components, what are the transfer case plans? Too bad about those hurricane wheels, so great looking but they all seemed to be 16.5's. Crossover steering?

trbon8r

What awesome components, what are the transfer case plans? Too bad about those hurricane wheels, so great looking but they all seemed to be 16.5's. Crossover steering?

Thanks!

Transfer case is already sourced and rebuilt. It will be an NP205 with the Advance Adapter kit to mate to the 6L90E transmission.

Steering will be crossover components from ORD. I hate to pay the price for it all, but it’s really the best way to go.

CampStewart

Observer
I would love to have heard a 241 based doubler upstream of the 205 but with the low 1st gear in the 6L it might not have been useful. Great Parts and Plans

trbon8r

I would love to have heard a 241 based doubler upstream of the 205 but with the low 1st gear in the 6L it might not have been useful. Great Parts and Plans

I thought about it but I don’t think a doubler will be needed for this truck, but if need be the ORD Magnum under drive for the NP205 case would always be an option if I need more gearing later on down the road. But as you said with the low first gear on the 6L90E plus 5.13 axle gears I should be ok, but we will see how it goes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12