91 quigley 1/2 ton front axle swap under a 89..

Itsavanman

Adventurer
going to be buying a quigley front suspension from a 91 for my 89 4x4 conversion.. i know 91 is a generation change for econolines, did they update the frame too? or was it just a facelift update in 91? anyone know?

DAV!D

Adventurer
The 91 front end you are buying is still the same as your 89 van. 91 was the last year it was used and the 4th generation body was a 92.

Also it's me that is selling the Drive line & suspension set up to the other buyer, that just wanted the drive line. I assume you were able to make a deal with him for the axles & suspension? :)

I was going to use it on my 88 class B van, but I've since decided that I'm going to buy a newer van and then convert it later to 4x4, unless I get lucky and find good deal on a already completed cargo van.

Itsavanman

Adventurer
haha cool! not yet.. just wanted to make sure it was gonna work before I bought it.. yeah after I wrote the thread I realized it was 92.. so should be good to go.. going to call him this morning.... gonna save me a ton of fab time doing it this way.. hooray!!

DAV!D

Adventurer
Yea as long as you have the place to work and the tools it's just a matter of doing it. My problem is, I have access to the shop and tools but it's down in FL, so I was going to have to take everything down there to do it and I decided that was simply a dumb idea. I figured I be better off just to pick up a newer van and then later on pick up a ujoint kit once I'm already down there.

I can tell you the way I was going to do the swap, was simply do a complete sub frame swap. I think that was going to be the simplest and easiest way to do it. The other option was to cut the suspension brackets off that sub frame and put them on my frame but that's a lot more complicated and a lot more work.

I really think just doing the whole sub frame is the best way, but it just depends if you are willing to pull the drive-line out of your van or not. I was going to replace the engine & trans in mine, so doing the sub frame was going to be no issue.. However if you don't want to pull your drive line, then just using the suspension set up & brackets will be the way to go.

Last edited:

Itsavanman

Adventurer
yeah not sure, if I chain / suspend the motor right, I should be able to swap the subframes, but not sure which way i am going to go. what ever is the quickest and easiest..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears