92 4runner PROJECT

gofalls

Observer
92 4runner 6cyl 2nd gen
I just picked it up last week ( Nov 09) and will be outfitting it for expeditions and DD. My mechanical experience is limited to dirt bikes, VW's and minivans but I am willing to try my hands at anything. I will update this first posting as the truck progresses.
It currently has
150k on Odo, was told motor rebuild 50k miles ago, no info on trans
4" TrailMaster Suspension lift front/rear
4.88 gears
Arb lockers front/rear
All kinds of body damage and gremlins
Compression tested cold 1-6 = 145,135,148,140,145,135 === SPEC IS 142 -171 with a 14 psi diff max between each cyl (testing it warm)
Runs like poo, not safe enough to cruise even around the block - Update= Runs okay now - Update = Runs Great!!
Measured 15.5 mpg on highway

Problems to fix – Many more to come
DONE - Brakes – Rear –inoperative - New shoes/drum
DONE - Brakes – Front – Aggressive wobble while braking - new pads/rotor
DONE - Tires – too loud – Need spare - new 33x9.50x15 BFG AT
DONE - New Plugs,blades,air filter - bosch plat +2
DONE - Idles at 1300? -now at 850rpm - Cables were sticking and adjusted idle screw
DONE - Idler arm – too sloppy - new one with lifetime warranty
DONE - Interior a mess - Interior clean and smelling fresh- hurculiner trunk (1/2 gallon)
DONE - REAR ABS light is always on? - ABS Power Steer Actuator sensor connection was resting on top and not plugged in.
DONE - Rear sway bar bushings and mounts destroyed/stripped - New ones with Grade 8 Hardware
DONE - Spare Tire mount, storage deck, sleep platform, oil filter, oil, atf, diff fluids, belts
DONE - Aisin Manual Hubs
DONE - Gear box (my first real trail carnage) Jan 2010
DONE - Flat Black rattle canned - Jan 2010
DONE - New upper/lower control arm bushings - Jan 2010
DONE - Trans Problem- new fluids, cleaned filter, tested solinoids, Fixed shifting problem - Jan 2010
DONE - New recovery hooks front and rear - Mar 2010
IN PROGRESS -
Needs armor/jack mount/fuel can (havent needed this yet) /tool mounts/winch (not sure if I need a winch) /air/etc (need advice)
Any advice is very much appreciated

From Previous Owner
ponov09.jpg

New Tires / Hurculiner Skirt
hurclinerskirtb.jpg

Rattle can black/white and Hid fog lights.
DSC00600goodsmall.jpg

Last edited:

Wander

Expedition Leader
Whew-that looks like it going to be a big project. I would recommend some sliders for the side armor/jack points. You didn't mention what lift you have and that will often take care of the rear sag often seen in gen 2's.

What's the mileage on the engine/tranny? (did I miss that) it might be easier to pull it and put in something reconditoned or maybe a lower mile drivetrain from a salvage. Maybe even a diesel option... good luck!

If you haven't been there already check out www.ih8mud.com and/or toyota120.com-or net??

gofalls

Observer
150k on ODO, was told 50k on motor rebuild, no info on trans. I will check out the other sites for more ideas and instructions. Thanks for the info.

Wander

Expedition Leader
150K- that doesn't sound like you should be having those issues, I wonder if the ODO is right? Do you have any records to verify what the PO told you?

Have you been able to do a compression check or had anyone check it out on a scanner at least? How is the trasnfer case shifting?

gofalls

Observer
Compression tested cold 1-6 = 145,135,148,140,145,135.
No records to verify 150k on odo.
Transfer case seems ok so far.
Scanner? Is that the diagnostics tool you plug into the diagnostics outlet next to the fuse box? What kind of things can the scanner tell me?

java

Expedition Leader
just drop in a new trans, they are dirt cheap. could disconnecting the battery for a couple mins to reset the trans ecu.
scanner may read codes from the tranny but i dont think they were lined on the early 4runners. if the engine is good everything else is pretty easy.
look around for armour lots of people make stuff for the second gens
the idle is adjusted on the AFM iirc, check the pirate FAQ thread in the toyota section its in there

zukrider

Explorer
well the 3.slow is a turd, even when its fresh and polished. i would swap a 3.4 taco motor in. offroad solutions in wheat ridge, colorado has a complete kit for the swap. past that, im not real familiar on these suspensions other than i have heard great things about total chaos.

good luck and happy trails

joe

RU55ELL

Explorer
If I could suggest one thing: I know it has and automagic and you may not be inclined to swap to a manual, but if I were overlanding and was miles away from anywhere civilized, I would want the manual. If a gear goes out on the manual, you can at least use another gear to limp yourself back to town. When the auto goes out, it's pretty safe to say that you would be essentially stranded. I know there are plenty of guys that run the auto and have good luck and I wish no bad luck on anyone, but I would much rather prevent something bad from happening whenever possible. Manuals are inexpensive and pretty much bulletproof, especially if 33s are the biggest thing you are running. The manual will also be able to use more of the small amount of power that you will get from the 3.0. I'm just thinking aloud.

Asha'man

Observer
well the 3.slow is a turd, even when its fresh and polished. i would swap a 3.4 taco motor in. offroad solutions in wheat ridge, colorado has a complete kit for the swap. past that, im not real familiar on these suspensions other than i have heard great things about total chaos.

good luck and happy trails

joe

ORS is out of business. Some of the swap parts are still available, but it's not as easy as it used to be.

RU55ELL

Explorer
For the winch and air supply, get a regular winch and a Powertank (or equivalent) instead of the Warn powerplant. That thing weighs as much as two winches and airs the tires up slower than a tank.

Wheelingnoob

Adventurer
Doing a 3.4L swap on that truck maybe easy for some but its still a very big job and some people are plagued with gremlins after. If you do not have a firm grasp on auto mechanics and electrical I would try and get the 3.0L working better.

That truck will be a slug with the 3.0L and auto, there really is no way around it. To top that off its got 4:88's with the auto and 33's you usually want 5.29's.

I have a 93 4Runner and its all mechanically stock (less places for problems 200kms away from a phone). I have done all the maintenance on it and keep it in good shape. The engine and tranny have over 300,000kms and its still running strong. The thing is slow, and for me that's fine its a truck I set the cruse at 65MPH and down shift on hills. Mine is a 5spd so its a bit better in the power department but its still not a barn burner.

The trucks have great potential and are great for long distance driving (as long as its an SR5 and the seats are still good). There great off road two with minimal mods.

One tip if you are going to be doing lots of off road driving. Get a factory Toyota Idler arm and about 2 sets of replacement bushings they go fast with a lift like yours.

Good luck!

gofalls

Observer
.....One tip if you are going to be doing lots of off road driving. Get a factory Toyota Idler arm and about 2 sets of replacement bushings they go fast with a lift like yours.

Good luck!

Yep .. my Idler Arm was toast. Replaced it with one that has a lifetime warranty. Thanks for the info. My steering is pretty tight now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger