Scrap yard M100 Build

Thanks for the comments. I really like the stance and the suspension I think is going to work just as I hoped. I have loaded some heavy items and moved it around empty. I will evaluate where I am at once I get the shocks on and can pull it around but I am not expecting any surprises. The square tubing is different then the round it originally had but getting rid of the rust formed where the tub wraps was a good thing. It will make a better seal for the lid. I am wanting to just get it out and use it but a little more body work should be done. I guess I have taken it this far. I will finish up and get some paint and rocker protection, we have a lot of trees here, and get some use out of it.

I hooked up the parking brake cables and repaired the orginal brake lever that had been frozen with rust. I had to weld and grind a new tooth on the part that makes contact with the parking brake stop gears. It had rusted and eroded to the point it would now catch. I also got all of the patch panels blended into the tub with fiberglass body filler. I am getting closer to painting.
M100 Trailer Project 009.jpgIMG_1468.jpgM100 Trailer Project 011.jpgIMG_1467.jpgIMG_1469.jpgIMG_1557.jpgIMG_1556.jpg

Attachments

• Trailer 009.jpg
    Trailer 009.jpg
    555.1 KB · Views: 51

Joanne

Adventurer
Obviously you are giving her the TLC needed to make a comeback from "The Edge". Sort of like a trailer version of an NDE (Near Death Experience). :Wow1:

Nice job bringing her back. Not a lot of folks around with both the vision to see what is possible and the skills to make it happen. (of course it seems like a lot of those people are on this forum:bowdown:)

Looking forward to seeing the pics once she's done.

Joanne

Nice progress. This is Bantam trailer i guess not M100. i am building one of this kind..

I have been watching your build, looks good. I posted a picture of my data plate for the trailer but it had been completely painted over by the PO. I have cleaned it up since then.

data plate new.jpg

A friend made a sugestion that I should use a tailgate he would give me if I wanted it. I picked it up and am installing it now. It was 37" wide in a 37 1/2" opening. With angle iron and adding to the bottom of the tailgate with 1" tube, left over from the bed rail it fit pretty well. I hope it has enough lateral support when I cut the bed rail. I will be welding the lower part of the hinge to the rear of the frame.

027.jpg029.jpg030.jpg032.jpg033.jpg040.jpg

I reinforced the rear of the tub and welding the lower hinge to the frame. I now have a working tailgate. The "Willys" tailgate is period correct for Jeep vehicles in 1952.

031.jpg034.jpg035.jpgtailgate.jpg

I made mounts for the TJ tail lights. Again, I used them because I had them and have had two other friends offer me sets as well. Free is good, I know the LED's would cooler and use less power. Maybe I will upgrade. I am mounting shocks and have been prepping for paint. I have to add chains and wire the lights in. I want to get it ready enought to tow around so I can tow it to the shop so I can use the break and bend up some metal? (aluminum or steel) for the lid. All the work I have been doing is in the driveway at my home. I really like working on it outside. I hate being inside a shop working on stuff if it can be avoided.

Tail lights 001.jpgTail lights 002.jpg

Almost finished with the paint. I have the fenders wet sanded for the final coat and the frame will be painted at the same time. I used a spray bedliner in the wheel wells and on the bed rails. It seems to be a pretty good product. Progress is slow but moving forward.paint.jpg

This is the first time I have put the trailer behind the Jeep. I was looking at the hitch location and I will be extending it a bit I think but the ride height is perfect.
Trailer in tow 001.jpgTrailer in tow 002.jpgTrailer in tow 003.jpgTrailer in tow 004.jpgTrailer in tow 005.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior