93 E350 4x4 Van/Ambo Camperized, Gen/Solar, only 73k miles! BIG PRICE DROP! Mo' Pics!

kcernest

Observer
1993 Ford E-350 Ambo/Van
Quigley 4x4
7.3 IDI non-turbo diesel
Tulsa, OK

Lots of pics here: http://s923.photobucket.com/user/kcernest/embed/slideshow/

Story: I bought this in early 2013 after looking for several months from a guy who bought it at auction in Virginia. It was a reserve ambulance. His intention was to build an oil field service rig or something and it ended up being too small for his intentions. He drove it from Virginia to Houston and parked it. I bought it from him and drove it back to North Carolina. After doing our crude yet functional camper conversion on it, my wife and I drove it around the eastern U.S. It’s now in Oklahoma and we need the money to rehab our house so here it is.

When I bought it, it had 65k miles and it now has 73k miles. I have the state inspection stickers from every year when it was an ambulance to prove actual miles. Everything I’ve bought for it or done has only been on the van for the last 18 months/<10k miles. Everything was bought brand new.
When I bought it, it was a fully functioning ambulance with lights, sirens and even that little box that changes traffic lights still operating on it. I removed everything and started from scratch. Our build was done in the parking lot of a brewpub we lived above so it’s not that pretty but it was built for sturdiness and reliability. Lots of storage, lots of reliable power.

Drivetrain:
7.3 IDI non-turbo diesel: 73k miles; Only thing that has been done to the motor is the guy I bought it from had the serpentine belt and water pump replaced. I flushed the coolant and installed a NAPA coolant filter system with SCA filters. This prevents cavitation which is the IDI’s only weakness.
Custom fuel tank: The quigleys are prone to delamination on the stock ford tank. I bought a new Sprectra tank and had it fabbed to fit. Flushed fuel lines and replaced fuel filter.
Both under-hood batteries are brand new factory replacement Interstates.
DANA 60’s front and back: Rear is a LSD with 3.54 gears. Believe it or not I’ve gotten 14MPG on flat land no wind. 12MPG is average.

Suspension:
Quigley 4x4 stuff
Bilstein HD’s
Firestone Destination A/T’s: 285/75/16

Camper stuff:
Coleman Polar Cub A/C- 9500 BTU, has option for heat element but not installed. Runs off generator via HD outdoor extension cord run from gen box.
Renology 100W solar panel kit
National Luna Portable Power Pack: 100ah AGM installed
Ironman 4x4 Ice Cube refrigerator: works great on either 12v or 120v. Wired for 12v currently
Generator: Honda eu2000- only 35 hours on this thing. My wife made me get A/C for our dog so it saw limited usage. The generator box is front hitch mounted on a custom extension and box. The box is steel and has a 10” electric radiator fan mounted in pull through with a switch inside to turn it on. This system works perfect. After running it 6 hours I’ve come out, flipped the top and can put my hand anywhere on the gen except the exhaust pipe, it stays nice and cool and secure. Box locks, hitch locks.

Inside: All wood, all secured VERY well. Center Dinette with storage underneath seats. Table top and another piece make the bed. Bed is 54” wide and I think 69” long. I’m 5 11 and I have to either bend my legs slightly or lay slightly diagonal. My wife and I slept fine together.
Insulation: Reflectix on the entire inside installed by ambulance builder. I then cut pieces of 2” and 1” pink hard board and installed that wherever I could fit it. In between pieces I used spray foam for ‘mortar’.

This thing has a super impressive cage built into the roof of box steel and flat steel. The A/C is mounted to 2x4’s mounted to the cage. It’s rock solid.
I have the build sheet from Quigley as well as the wiring diagram from the ambulance builder. Have, I think, all the manuals for the equipment bought as well like the gen, A/C, fridge etc…

The Bad:
Three small rust spots- passenger and driver gutters as well as driver side read fender. All very minimal. No frame or under body rust.
The battery gauge just quick working, literally, today. I don’t know why. Strange.
Horn is not hooked up.
Flood lights are not wired but the wires are hanging behind the drivers seat and are labeled well.
I made blanks to close the red light holes with lexan and painted them then caulked them. Well, I chose the wrong caulk apparently because its all discolered and looks terrible. Works great but ugly.
I forgot to scuff the generator box before painting it and all the white paint is flaking off. Whoops. Along with that, the paint on the side isn’t the greatest where I sanded down the ambo graphics and painted it white. I planned on getting the whole thing painted white and wasn’t real concerned about it. No rust or running or anything just didn’t use fine enough sand paper before painting.

I’ve tried to paint a pretty clear picture of what this is. I don’t want any potential buyers to run into surprises. If you have any questions please don’t hesitate to ask, I’m better reached at my email, kcernest@gmail.com, I’ll try to get on here every day but it’s unlikely with my work schedule.

Price’ish: $11,900 PRICE DROP DUE TO LACK OF INTEREST? LAST PRICE DROP BEFORE I REMOVE LISTING!!!

This is a starting point as far as I’m concerned. I’m open to any serious, reasonable offers. Try me. You never know. I may be able to deliver for a fee within 500 or so miles of Tulsa OK. Partial trade involving a Volvo 240 series?

Attachments

• van1.jpg
    van1.jpg
    396.1 KB · Views: 582
Last edited:

kcernest

Observer
Gbail: thanks
i never had the balls to try it. The lights and sirens were permissive and i couldnt think of a good excuse to try if followed.

I cant believe there's no interest in a 4x4, high top, solar/generated van on this forum. I was going to leave it here for a week before posting it in other places but dang.

Again, feel free to make an offer. It needs to sell soon. Dont be shy!

kcernest

Observer
Alright, dropped the price $2k!

I am motivated as I need the money to rehab my house so I can move states. Make me an offer. May just keep it if no interest but heck, something, I can't believe nobody wants this with all the stuff that goes with it.

Weaselblade

Looks like a bargain to me... I'll certainly be into my shortbus for far more than your asking price. Hell, I'll probably be into it for more even before the 4x4 conversion. GLWS

kcernest

Observer
Thanks for the kind words guys.

Is there a season for these things!? I looked for six months before I found this one to buy, just drooling for the right opportunity. I really wanted to sell to someone on Expo but if there are no real bites by Sunday, I'm posting elsewhere.

Once again, I'm willing to deal, perhaps partial trade for a gnarly old import car.

kcernest

Observer
One last bump for a big price drop. If it doesn't sell for real close to this amount within a week or so I'm keeping it.

$11,900

Shocker

VanDOOM!
That is crazy! 11,900 seems like a great deal to me. If that was closer I would take a long hard look at it, even though I have VanDOOM. I would love to have that with so much work done on it. Just a bit more finishing touches and such and it would be done.

Maybe you are meant to keep it!

tgreening

Expedition Leader
If I were to offer any unbiased hopefully constructive criticism I'd say this...

Pick a handful of your key build photos and post them here. I looked through the ones in your link and they're extensive enough they can be a bit overwhelming. I found myself forgetting what I had seen, and as I sit here just finished, I can't recall seeing a pic of a finished (or what passes as) interior.

Quigley: As far as I can tell, one of the least desired conversions. I think up there with the Pathfinder I believe? I have no experience with either other than pictures and various opinions voiced around, but I "think" it's safe to say.

That second one there is more opinion and very little advice unfortunately. I don't really see the problem in it for someone that doesn't intend to be a "serious" off roader with it. I think the photos are a big one though, at least for me.

Other than that, it seems there's a lot being offered in the package. Shoot, if you had that 73K IDI in a pickup truck I know of people that would do sick twisted things for you if it meant they could get it.

Good luck with it.

kcernest

Observer
Thanks for the advise

I suppose that makes sense about the pics, I'll throw some up in here of how it sits now. I put a bunch of pics in there of when I was building it to show the level of insulation and ripping the wiring out.

Thanks again guys.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears