'93 Suburban - Chillin' Out!

cowboy63645

Adventurer
I am glad to see someone using the Edelbrock 3702 and 3704. I have been thinking about ordering these parts for my suburban as well. What kind of difference did you see in fuel economy?

TheOtherSide

Observer
I am glad to see someone using the Edelbrock 3702 and 3704. I have been thinking about ordering these parts for my suburban as well. What kind of difference did you see in fuel economy?

Can't give you numbers as I never bother with that as it would just be an ugly number!! haha... All I know is a 1/2hr drive down the highway used to see a major change in the fuel gauge... but now it doesn't move!! To me, that's a great improvement!!

cowboy63645

Adventurer
I figured my mileage up on a 6 hour drive, all interstate and I almost cried at the results, so these mods may be worth while for me. BTW, I averaged 12.8 mpg doing 70 mph for that 6 hours.

Balzer

Adventurer
Great build! I kinda wish I could have caught you a bit earlier but theres still room for improvment. Bottom line is the TBI engines had THE WORST heads and cam profiles ever built by GM. You replaced the cam so you one step ahead now.
There are some simple TBI mods to help you gain a bit more power. First is modifying your fuel pressure regulator to adjustable and crank the pressure up. Next is to pull your throttle body off and dremel the ridge around the top off. There is a black spacer on the injector tower, add a second spacer to raise you injectors up a bit more. There are several upgraded injectors but I dont think any are better than a set of stock 7.4 injectors. Finnally some underdrive pullys and a REAL tune and you will be gettin about the best power you can get without doing more serious engine work such as better heads and a rebuild with higher compression pistons.

So far you have built this rig excactly the way I would have.
I do have some questions for you.
First how do you like the posi lock perm lock for driving on the street? I have had the selectable posi lock and loved it and am planning on one in the future.
Second, did you notice ANY ride differance with the real lift TB relocators? They claim there is no change, but I just cannot fathom that they dont change the ride quality (for the better/softer) with the extra leverage. I would love to see a video of them in action to see if the TB gets any side to side movement along with the twisting motion. I have yet to find someone with a video camera such as the go pro and the real lift TB relocators. Just for my own personal satisfaction as I belive they have prooven their product I just like to see things work lol.
Again great build, well done!

TheOtherSide

Observer
Posilock Perm lock was removed as my front t-case bearing is growling... and was insane to listen to. I switched back to the thermal actuator for now and have a t-case rebuild kit waiting to go in. I will likely switch to the selectable version though... helps when pulling our trailer in and out of it's seriously tight spot to have 2low option.

As for the relocators... drives like stock... regular ride etc. Of course there is movement under there... but I don't notice it... and I'm not worried about it. I have a nice break-over angle now compared to the dropped torsion bar cross member... and that's worth some possible movement that I don't see.

This truck is daily driven, tows the family travel trailer and hits the trails.... no problems with the Realift's.

TheOtherSide

Observer
great build. i recently purchased a surban an plan on building a rig like that. your rig is a great insiration to me

thanks... we enjoyed this truck... Was sold a little over a year ago... new owners are really enjoying it... still being put to the use it was built for!

justcuz

Explorer
Had some suggestions on the rear axle for you, maybe you can pass them along to the new owner.

1. Same body style 3/4 ton springs.
2. Square body 4x4 spring mounts to eliminate the lift block.
3. Drill holes in the saddles/spring plates to let water, dirt and crud drain out.

I drill 2 3/8th holes in the middle/low spot of each spring plate between the u bolt holes.
A good hose out when I get home prevents rusting and weakening of the u bolts.
Generally I just set a sprinkler under the truck and let it run for a while under the truck to clean the under carriage.

thatboykg

Observer
thanks... we enjoyed this truck... Was sold a little over a year ago... new owners are really enjoying it... still being put to the use it was built for!
how did you like those gears you put in? I know they help regular driving, but what about towing? im thinking of regearing myself because my 99 k1500 burb doesnt have the tow/haul button so I usually drop down to 3 and run 55-60 towing..

TheOtherSide

Observer
how did you like those gears you put in? I know they help regular driving, but what about towing? im thinking of regearing myself because my 99 k1500 burb doesnt have the tow/haul button so I usually drop down to 3 and run 55-60 towing..

4.88's were totally awesome offroad. Truck would inch down steep inclines... never used the brakes and had plenty of time to scout my patch with the slow speed. As for towing, I had the Throttle body injection... older than the vortec.. and had a very short torque window. So for me the 4.56's would have been better for towing as I my RPM was always a touch high and dropping a gear just made it wind up... and have no power. With the vortec you may find the same problem as they are overflowing with torque either... but will have more than mine. Towing I would be stuck at 50-55mph when towing... too much effort to try and hit 60mph.

Big thing was regearing.... had to be done with 35's...and was a fantastic mod.... brought the truck to a hole new level over the stock gearing. Just watch that 10 bolt rear end... it's not very strong offroad. I know 2 Burb owners that destroyed the internal gears on the same trail... and not being very hard on it at all.

thatboykg

Observer
4.88's were totally awesome offroad. Truck would inch down steep inclines... never used the brakes and had plenty of time to scout my patch with the slow speed. As for towing, I had the Throttle body injection... older than the vortec.. and had a very short torque window. So for me the 4.56's would have been better for towing as I my RPM was always a touch high and dropping a gear just made it wind up... and have no power. With the vortec you may find the same problem as they are overflowing with torque either... but will have more than mine. Towing I would be stuck at 50-55mph when towing... too much effort to try and hit 60mph.

Big thing was regearing.... had to be done with 35's...and was a fantastic mod.... brought the truck to a hole new level over the stock gearing. Just watch that 10 bolt rear end... it's not very strong offroad. I know 2 Burb owners that destroyed the internal gears on the same trail... and not being very hard on it at all.

so basically even with regearing, towing is goin to be the same? mine has the 3.42s in it right now with the G80. I still have the 10 bolt still in it for now, but do eventually will upgrade. right now im only runnin 33s on a 4 in lift. ive set it up as an expedition rig, not so much as an extreme off roader.. for now lol.. main thing is I use it to tow my rzr all around. granted, its only about 1200lbs fully loaded and im only pulling a 12x7 tandem axel utility trailer, but it seems to struggle.. any suggestions?

TheOtherSide

Observer
Sorry for the delay in responding.

Keeping in mind mine was a TBI 5.7L.... I put an Edelbrock Performer intake on it, Edelbrock cam with new lifters, new roller timing chains, thing had good compression... made zero difference. I was really disappointed in the engine lack of performance... my only suggestion would be a different power plant... or different truck. I won't buy anything older than 2000 in a Chev product just because of the Vortec and TBI.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears