'93 Suburban - Chillin' Out!

TheOtherSide

Observer
Okay... some photos finally.... sorry, they're taken with my camera phone so they're not the best color/clarity etc.

Pulled the intake off to reseal it... drives much better now without vacuum leaks!!!
intake1.jpg

Nice clean valley...
intake2.jpg

GM has a "quick disconnect" fitting... that ends up not being so quick as it gums up with junk... and ends up leaking etc. So of course my fitting was horrid... and the pipe that goes into the fitting was pitted so bad and still leaked, so one of my co-workers bailed me out with this fitting (on right)... and I just straight hosed it. No more leaks!!!!
intake3.jpg

Then on to the wheels... got some nice used American Racing ATX Chamber wheels (16x8) with the teflon finish so they can be a back-up frying pan in the bush!!! And some 315/75/16 BFG MT KM2's.... load range D... all in great condition!!
wheels1.jpg

wheels2.jpg

wheels3.jpg

Then after keeping one of the my old 35" tires that was an extra spare... I bought a Procomp 15x8 steel wheel with the same 4.5" backspacing as the American Racing wheels. So my spare is fresh and clean inside the truck. The spare is a load range C and a 15", but it will do just fine until I run into the oddball matching wheel and tire for sale somewhere in north america!! haha....
wheels4.jpg

Well.... 4wheelparts.com had a sale again.... so I got some Husky Liners for the truck... cheap(price)!! Got front mats for each side and the center hump, and the 2nd row also. They don't make a 3rd row or I'd have gotten that too. Fit great... they're just a bit stiff and mis-shaped from packaging, but with a little heat pointed at the floor they'll mold in nicely.
mats1.jpg

You can see that the edge of the mat goes right up against the door panel... nice tight fit.
mats2.jpg

Now you're up to date!!

TheOtherSide

Observer
Not much new... put in a new AC compressor today... so we'll stay cool in the summer heat!!

Hope to get out to do some exploring this summer, but our schedule is getting more full by the day... eek!

87burban

Observer
Sweet burban ! I have been thinking of getting one this style but IFS kinda worried me. Now that i see your burb in action i might go for a 454 2500 4x4 that is for sale locally for a steal---1400 obo looks in good conditions also.

TheOtherSide

Observer
Sweet burban ! I have been thinking of getting one this style but IFS kinda worried me. Now that i see your burb in action i might go for a 454 2500 4x4 that is for sale locally for a steal---1400 obo looks in good conditions also.

We previously had a 96 Suburban K2500, 7.4L Vortec, 4x4.... only problem was that it had no guts. Seriously, I went through that thing top to bottom and everything was working to specs.... just didn't pull. I've heard that was a smog problem on those. It wasn't used for exploring at all, just trailer towing and I couldn't stand it. Was also a very very harsh ride unless loaded down. Was geared 3.73, but may have been acceptable with 4.10's. Just putting out some feedback on the 7.4L of the OBS. We loved the looks though:
burb001.jpg

87burban

Observer
Hmm good to know their is also a half ton for sale for a 1200 but the maroon and gold color are ... lets just say not pretty. Also I was looking that most lifts dont do the 2500 burbans. They say 6 lug only. Anyways killer truck

dy_lon

Observer
Great build. I may have missed it, but what tranny are you running?

My family loves the OBS chevys. My dad has had a few OBS Burbs and I currently have a 95' 2 Door Tahoe with some work.... Check out the link for more pics in my signature. If you are interested in any of the parts i used in my build, pm me...

IMG_0857.JPGIMG_0856.JPG

Cody1771

Explorer
you could always swap in a 6BT into the 2500 ;) hehe. a cummins powered burb is high on my list for future vehicles

TheOtherSide

Observer
you could always swap in a 6BT into the 2500 ;) hehe. a cummins powered burb is high on my list for future vehicles

Not a chance... no need to be so sideways in time and $ invested. My 5.7L works good enough... if I want more power and diesel, I'd consider an Excursion one day.

Great build. I may have missed it, but what tranny are you running?

My family loves the OBS chevys. My dad has had a few OBS Burbs and I currently have a 95' 2 Door Tahoe with some work.... Check out the link for more pics in my signature. If you are interested in any of the parts i used in my build, pm me...

It's a 4L60E... and I rebuilt it with some minor upgrades.

TheOtherSide

Observer
Had my new OEM aux battery tray sitting around for 4 months now... finally installed it today and had to do some custom work to remount the EVAP canister. Now to get another battery an wire it all up.

Lame Blackberry photos:
007.jpg

008.jpg

BurbanAZ

Explorer
great looking burban, i love them i used to have a 95 1/2 ton 4x4 with the 350 tbi it was a great truck ended up selling it to a friend. Now i have a 92 3/4 ton 4x4 with the 454tbi and love it even more than i did my 1/2. I think 35s are the perfect fit for these trucks. Im still trying to decide if i want to replace a bunch of ifs parts that are worn out (pretty sure they were replaced at some point with cheaper parts) or do a SAS. Will probably stick with just replacing the ifs parts with moog parts, ifs is plenty strong for 99% of people. Also if you want a great winch that wont break the bank, i have a 12k engo winch and its been amazing and ive used it a ton and even stalled it on some crazy hard pulls and never had an issue. Heres a pic of my 92
823d7d01.jpg

TheOtherSide

Observer
Okay... did some work on the truck back in February... time to put a report together!!

The pile of goodies...
001.jpg

Installed:
- Edelbrock Performer TBI intake
- Edelbrock Performer TBI cam & lifter kit
- Edelbrock True Roller timing chain & sprockets
- Waterpump
- misc gaskets along the way

First obstacle I ran into was the old lifters. They had a big varnish ridge on the bottom that I couldn't pull them out. Had to buy a lifter extractor like this one to pull them out. Then spent a pile of time cleaning the lifter bores of the gunge I pulled through the bores so the new lifters would fit...
002.jpg

After the lifters were out... I had to tip out the a/c condenser about 3" on the drivers side (radiator was out already) to slide out the cam... and in went the new one!
Old cam/new cam comparison...
003.jpg

004.jpg

The old timing chains were super worn out... tons of slack!!
005.jpg

006.jpg

When I ordered the crank seal... I brought in the "speedy sleeve" just in case... and there was a ridge on the balancer. So on went the sleeve.
007.jpg

Timing cover cleaned up and bolted up with some nice stainless ARP fasteners
008.jpg

New lifters installed... went in nice and smooth after all that cleaning to get the old ones out.
009.jpg

Now how about a comparison between the old and ugly intake with the new!! Basically I replaced the intake gaskets back in April 2011... and found them leaking coolant again. I remembered there was some pitting on the intake by the water passages... so instead of looking for a good used one, I went with the edelbrock. No major power gains expected... but anything is welcome! (new one is on the right!! )
010.jpg

Fitting all the bits and pieces on the new manifold...
011.jpg

012.jpg

Then had to drill/tap a hole in the manifold where they supply a dimple for an optional needed fastener... so I moved all the grounds to this location as I removed most of the stock fasteners for nice stainless ARP ones.
013.jpg

Intake bolted in... pushrods and rockers back in too... and all adjusted.
014.jpg

And all buttoned up and running. Painted the air cleaner and valve covers as they were super ugly and rusty etc. I don't expect them to look pretty for long, but at least I tried!!
015.jpg

Final thought and results: Performance gains are minimal... but the engine does respond a bit better likely due to the timing chains not slapping around under the cover. Fuel economy has improved big time which I'm super happy about!!! I need to go back in and replace the new waterpump as I cracked it when I installed the plug at the top... and will sort the pan gasket leak at the same time! Overall, it's a good repair/mod!

I towed the trailer to the repair shop the other day... trailer was empty and wasn't hauling the whole family.... and it pulled nicer than before... so I'm also looking forward to seeing the performance gains when pulling!

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 19

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Other, thank you for posting up! Your rig is looking awesome!:Wow1: Do I have to say how nice it is to see all your pics!:ylsmoke:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears