93 Toyota spare tire mounting location

I'm building up my 93 Toyota Pickup V6 DLX. I'm not building a rock crawler but want to be able to handle rough roads and trails to access remote fly fishing areas in the US and Canada. I'm getting mixed advice on the spare tire. One shop says it's ok left under the truck another says it needs moved to a mount on the rear bumper. The aftermarket bumper options for a truck as old as mine are few so I'm have a local shop do a custom. What advice do you give me?

sienna001.jpg

Idaho_Pakeha

Occasional Archaeologist
I think the stock location is the best for you primary spare. I drove our company truck for 10 years on field projects in the Owyhee desert and never had a damaged spare in that location. I do prefer to have 2 spares (I have had multiple flat tires on a few occasions) so stick the second one wherever you can, in the bed or on the roof rack. It helps if the tire isn't super heavy....

direwolf82

I know this is an older post but as someone who is putting together the vehicle for exactly the same reasons I would advise against putting it under the vehicle. My reasoning is strictly access, it really sucks to have to jack up the entire rear end to get to the spare if your in a mudhole and get popped by a branch. Happened twice, sucked both times pretty equally. Maine and New Hampshire have some areas of fairly sharp rocks that tend to eat alloy rims with a bad tire on it so changing tires can be paramount in done cases, others you can drive on the rim to a safer location to change tires.
How do you carry your rods and stuff? Just curious.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears