93 W250 cummins Ram project

BigDan

Observer
Possible new project orientation ,
instead of putting the ram pick up mechanicals in/under the Econoline , I might build an RV out of the pickup ....

this thing is built like a tank : good old fashioned diffs & T/C
It has Dana 60 front diff, positrac Dana 70 rear diff , NP205HD Transfer case
and that 87,000mile first gen Cummins 12V that is totally stock for now .....,

Ideally id remove the 8 feet box , and buy a BigFoot camper that I would fit on the frame and close the sides for mucho storage space & smallgen .....
a cheap earthroamer clone ...:)

my only problem for now is the front cab bushings are shut and floor pan are rutted nearby them .....
the 93 Ram body parts are scarce .....

the main reason I might do all this is that I was ill for a while and I lost some capacities lately ......It should be simpler to do this then to modify the Econoline ....

advices are welcome

thanks

Dan

IMG_20151005_133343.jpg

IMG_20151005_133332.jpg

IMG_20151005_133845.jpg

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
The camper dodge route sounds more simple. Unless you like to wrench more than wheel, which is fine.

dsal_86yota

Observer
I say go with the camper route. Old Dodge cummins like that would make a sweet looking camper. Those rigs are tough as nails and look good.

E.Roy

Aspiring Explorer
These trucks are a great platform, simple, tough, reliable and easy to work on. I think you should keep that truck together, drive it for however long it suits you and if/when you sell it, you'll have one of the lowest mileage examples and get a good buck for it.

BigDan

Observer
you have about the same truck then me !!!!

Ill probably fix the cab ....maybe remove the box and transform it into an RV ....now that I know I have an A518

this thing is a tank ! lolll

Dan ,

Last edited:

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
I love the look of that truck Dan. Old school Cummins is way solid! But be carefull. Some guys would rather sleep with their Cummins then with their wife..:Wow1:

I'm working on a 93 W250 with a Sunrader...

5.jpg4.jpg3.jpg2.jpg1.jpg
found :
www.autobodyspecialt.com
....they have much more body parts .....

anyone ever did a modified camper project on his pickup ?

Dan

Great looking truck. I had a BF 10.6 Great camper just too wide and heavy for an expedition build in my op... If your staying on paved roads it should work out, we know these old Dodges can handle the weight.

I have went with old Sunrader bodies on my last two builds due to weight and the fact that they fit the width of N. American Pickups with no overhang, big advantage off road and in tight towns in Mexico / Central and South America. They are still much taller than pop ups so you still have to be careful but if you insulate right you can camp in any climate. The side door setup is nice when you set up camp.

If you are looking for extra range a cheep way to get it is to find an old Ram Charger tank that sits behind the rear axle. ( Same frame width, easy to build mounts. ) This gets you an extra 34 gal. for a fraction of what that tank companies are getting.

My project is about 80% but I thought I would attach some pictures to give you some ideas.

Good luck and safe travels,

BigDan

Observer
I llike all those inputs !!!:wings:

freedom traveler, My project might well be similar to yours , platform ( ill keep the box somewhere ) slide the camper on it , and close the sides ....

I`m quite concerned as you mention about the offroad behavior ......those sunrader seems rare !

one of my requirement is to get access to the coach section by the cab like you did ,,,,,,,,, might have to leave quick sometimes !

But I live up north and boondock quite often in cold weather ,,,,the pop top option ( best for offroad behavior ) is not the best for me ......

thanks !

Dan

Last edited:

BigDan

Observer
I love the look of that truck Dan. Old school Cummins is way solid! But be carefull. Some guys would rather sleep with their Cummins then with their wife..:Wow1:

Yesssss ! Already addicted lollll

last saturday ,i was sitting right next to my running pickup .......what are you doing she asks ? listening to my truck ! she turned around with a weird look ...hahahahaha!

Dan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78