94 Discovery Completely Dead....

MN_Disco1

Just looking to see if anyone has any tips...

I have ha a 94 Disco that had battery / starter issues. I am on my third battery and found that the last was bad. I was thinking I have a potential battery and starter issue.

I proceeded to replace battery and starter and I have no starting or any interior power.

I have cleaned up all of the ground connections to resolve and no luck.

I have power at the external fuse block but nothing the interior. It appears that the external fuses are visually ok.

I made a bad mistake of replacing 2 things at once... The new baby in the house must be making me make bad decisions....

Thanks in advance!

Colin Hughes

Explorer
Have you had a charging test done? I had a starting issue, killed one battery and was working on the second battery when I discovered the alternator was not charging all the time. Rebuilt alt and all is fine. Ignition switches go bad on these trucks too but I don't think that's the issue here.

MN_Disco1

I have found I have power inside and to the starter relay. I don't get 12 v to the solenoid. The fuseblock has 12 volts but headlights, windows , radio, etc do not work.

overlander

Expedition Leader
this is not hard to solve with a multimeter. everyone should have one. I absolutely agree you need to have your alternator tested, or everything will run on your battery, when the engine is running and when it isn't. But if you are having these problems with a good battery, it sure sounds like a back ignition switch, which is an uncommon fault but does happen. The circuit to your starter is very simple in most vehicles. Starter main lead is from battery + straight to starter. Then you have the starter solenoid, that gets it's feed to activate the starter from the ignition switch, passing through the fusebox (F17 10A fuse).

The fact that not only is it not starting, but that you also have other things not working that would be activated by the switch, and on top of all that, the fact that you seem to have a battery drain, suggests to me the switch is faulty, which would cause all three symptoms.

Download the free RAVE manual (google it) and you will be able to access the complete electrical manual with circuit diagrams and fault diagnosis checks.

MN_Disco1

Thanks for the replies... I figured it out....I had the positive lead to the fuseblock on the negative terminal...what an idiot!!!

I guess the nights of no sleep from a new baby added up...that is why I am replying at 2:22 am :)

After all my digging around on the truck I managed to fix a bunch of electrical items that have not worked since I bought the thing....
Thanks again!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger